snake identification

Helen888

I wondered if anyone could help in identifying 2 sorts of snake I have seen in South Correz and The Dordogne. The first was very large, probably over  5 feet (I didnt believe my Father when he told me but unfortunately i have since spotted it for myself). It had quite a broad body and was brown in colour with black spots ringed with silver. I have always been told the big snakes are Coulerves (sorry for spelling) ie grass snakes...does this sound like one to you?. I wouldnt really be bothered but it seems to be living part-time in the conservatory!

Also, does anyone have any idea about smaller snakes...usually less than a foot in length, bright green and i think with a silver underside and quite slender. I have seen two of these in the last week and wondered if they were Vipers. I know Vipers are meant to have an arrow shaped head but i was too scared to look to closely. In case anyone has a snake phobia; i first bought a place in France two and a half years ago...at that time i could barely look at a picture of one of the things let alone stay in the same house where one had been sighted, but I have found over time i have become less worried and a few weeks ago continued to walk down the lane after seeing one on a rock within two metres of me!!!

Best Regards

Helen

Helen: When I was trying to determine what snake we had living in our backyard, I searched on the web with the description. Brought up many photos, with types described. Perhaps you can find your snakes that way. Mine looked like a grass snake. Five feet would definitely give me a scare ! I agree with you, living in the countryside, you must adapt to the various creatures you live among. Good luck.

[quote]I wondered if anyone could help in identifying 2 sorts of snake I have seen in South Correz and The Dordogne. The first was very large, probably over 5 feet (I didnt believe my Father when he told me...[/quote]

The best solution to identity, where snakes are concerned. Is the process the locals use. Cut it's bloody head off. Then worry about it's background.

[quote]I wondered if anyone could help in identifying 2 sorts of snake I have seen in South Correz and The Dordogne. The first was very large, probably over 5 feet (I didnt believe my Father when he told me...[/quote]

Gosh Helen, you're brave!!  I admit I have got over my fear of spiders, mice, and even enjoy watching little lizards, but have yet to come across a snake - praise be!!!  That is one of my worse phobias

Please don't kill snakes. They just want peace and quiet just leave them alone. Quickest way to tell if a snake is poinous is if it only has one scale between its eyes.

We have seen various snakes in our garden all different colours from bright yellow, solid green, brown and stripey green/brown. Our lizards are getting friendly, if you stand still they will run up your body. There are also many many young lizards about just 25mm or so long.

Unless you are silly enough to corner one a viper is unlikely to strike. The vipers found in France can cause a nasty reaction, but rarely death. Pre-emptive strikes against snakes are wise in some places, but not France. The only time I ever saw a viper in our garden it almost shed its skin trying to get away! And it was a big one - it could have eaten a mouse whole!

[quote]Unless you are silly enough to corner one a viper is unlikely to strike. The vipers found in France can cause a nasty reaction, but rarely death. Pre-emptive strikes against snakes are wise in some pl...[/quote]

Treat all snakes, and wild animals for that matter, as dangerous. The quicker all the stupid programs stop being shown about snake handlers the better.

The advice about snakes will always speed away is rubbish. The best solution is to avoid places where they are likely to be. i.e. Pampas grass, uncut fields and hedgerows.

In certain countys in Florida you can be heavily fined for not cutting your lots in a built up area.

There supposed to lots round here and we saw only one this summer - came in the guests' kitchen  - the guests (Parisiens) got out their knives ready to chop its head off until one bright spark decided to go pick it up (a la too many tv programmes style) - guess what it bit him and it was a viper! Fortunately it was a baby one and no harm really done, just a sore arm!  I was so shocked at the stupidity of it all. I insisted that the snake be set free - reluctantly they (the Parisiens) let it go....

Cutting the pampas grass this morning I could have swore I heard/saw something......

Deby

Helen

If you have a snake problem get two cats and three chickens

Our cats catch the mice which depletes the snakes food source

Our cats also caught a snake yesterday much to our amazement and then to crown it all the chickens pinched the snake off the cat. Killed it and ate it

Paul