Another Grand design

Russethouse

This TV series has been very enjoyable, and tonights program was very interesting, a BIG renovation project in the Limousin, carried out by a couple who had no building experience at all, and very little French, a point which the presenter commented on and stressed the disadvantage this was to them.

The presenter refreshingly realistic is about difficulties, and yet some how you know it will all work out OK in the end.

Loved the decor too

Anyone else see it ?

Yes, we watched it too. After the first 10 minutes we were going to switch off, as we thought they were extremely foolish and were doomed to fail, but something kept our attention and we ended up throughly enjoying it. They worked a miracle on an enormous roofless wreck and really created a dream home in record time. The presenter had to admit at the end that language skills and building experience were not necessary before embarking on such a project if you had the determination to succeed (and no other interests in life)

I watched it too and it looks like the Limousin area has another fan. All of the series of Grand Designs to date have been good and Kevin McLeod is a great presenter - his French wasn't too bad either!

Thought the bits thay had done looked great - but I bet the price in the Trocs go up now! What I want to know is how two people take to building so quickly never having had any experience?

I am sure I have seen "Denny" on another TV program but cannot remember - anyone have any ideas?

I am not sure if I saw them mention the start of the restoration on this forum or another but anyway simply go to and see what has been happening since the start:

http://www.chezjallot.com/

Lovely couple and the very best of luck to them and the restoration of Chez Jallot.

Of course Channel 4 glossed a lot of it up, that's simply the business they are in. It's out of the hands of the couple what happens in the edit.

Yes we saw it and at first I thought it was another of those where people with no skills and no money take on a wreck and it all ends in tears.  This didn't and they triumphed through shear hard word and grit. 

The previous C4 programme was of twins who were doing up a building in Suffolk and they squabbled their way through the project and the budget went through the roof. 

Everyone's right who says Kevin is an excellent presenter: the UK projects have been no less extraordinary.  We found the programme to be uplifting after the various disaster ones.

Impressed by Programme.

Impressive site.

Bit of a shame that so many of the materials were  UK sourced?

Were they sponsored?

I think we can take some of the supplies for granted. Why would they give each and everyone a plug if they weren't ? I am sure that at one time, thanks were given to certain suppliers for their help and generosity etc.

We have done 3 fairly large renovations and have never thought to put Point P, Pinault etc or the local builders yard on our site !! Why would you ? It would be like adding all your guests on to your site for their help !!

Anyway, flipping good luck to them, wish we had some sponsors to have helped us   

If one takes the programme and project on face value then what the acheived was incredible. They as a couple are not unique but there aren't many around who would succeed as they clearly did. What worries me is that so many people who have not got what it takes will take on similar projects and fail terribly.

I have always loved the programme but I thought Kevin McLoud was a bit over the top last night in building up the sense of pressure. He is no doubt very good though and long may he continue.

Best of luck to the couple concerned they have a super attitude and with no kids to care for were in an ideal position.

The best part of all was Kevin's closing words which were to the effect of reminding us all that life is for living and we should not forget why we all came to France for "the life". Hard work shouldn't be a chore.

I am sure I have seen this before - the house that is.  No access to UK telly so has it featured in one of the renovation books?  Could have been either French of English as I have developed an addiction to British magazines whilst on my hols. 

Show me 25 Beautifull Homes and I am in heaven . . .!!

There does seem a never ending stream of these programs and I saw a property search type program today that showed 3 properties in Dorset and 3 in Brittany.

The first place they visited in Brittany was Cancale, the presenter pronounced it *Con soll* (rather like the old car !) where as I thought it was *Kan Kal*

So can Miki or C*o*co tell me the correct pronounciation please ?

[quote]There does seem a never ending stream of these programs and I saw a property search type program today that showed 3 properties in Dorset and 3 in Brittany.The first place they visited in Brittany was...[/quote]

Gay,

If the locals are anything to go by, Cancale would sound like Kan Karl. It is also how we pronounce it and we have never been pulled up on it so................

We have heard Kan Karly, Kan Sarl, Kan Kalay and all stations in between from our guests, bless 'em! Mustn't laugh as I 'm sure we were probably no better years ago but as you say Gay, you would have thought the presenter might just have got it right.

Not sure about any others but even Amanda Lamb is starting to get on my nerves these days, will the TV progs on France ever grind to a halt? The last few years or so, has seen Property, Moving to just about anywhere, Gardening, DIY and the move to France programmes seemingly increasing by the week, when will it end ?

LOl When I first went there I thought it was more like *san sol ley* luckily some French friends corrected me.

House shown was £150,000, not very big either !

Tonight I heard Amanda Lamb say that'if you are going to renovate property in France as a gite or do B&B you may be able to get a grant of up to £12,000' !! I know its true, but without qualification I thought it was rather misleading.

"Tonight I heard Amanda Lamb say that if you are going to renovate property in France as a gite or do B&B you may be able to get a grant of up to £12,000' !! I know its true, but without qualification I thought it was rather misleading."

Gay,

That was one of the reasons why I mentioned her. When she said that, my reaction was, what a stupid throwaway line, no explanations or information given.

If anyone thinks that getting a grant for that much is going to be easy, then she really has misled people. That kind of grant comes with plenty of strings attached, none of which we even contemplated when restoring. It might be OK for some I guess ? but the half dozen people we have known that have had a grant, have all regretted it after the first few years. 

All those years ago when we were ready for a bit of an adventure we had thought about NZ but never Oz. However, after we had lived in France for a few years we felt like we could move just anywhere, we felt prepared for whatever just about any country could throw at us, even Oz.

[quote]I am not sure if I saw them mention the start of the restoration on this forum or another but anyway simply go to and see what has been happening since the start : http://www.chezjallot.com/ ...[/quote]

Thanks Miki for posting this link.

I came across the website about a year ago and was following progress then lost the bookmark.

I am a bit disappointed that they seem to have removed details of progress from day one - it was even more inspirational than what was shown on channel 4!!!!

Hopefully the owners will decide to put it back on the site once all the 'fame' thing has died down. They deserve to be proud of their achievements - it is a wonderful project.

edit: oops silly me - the other info is still there - must be the late night i had last night numbed my brain!!!!!!