Is it just me, or................

Alcazar

......................is there less traffic on this site since the new software went in?

Before summer I used to come on here daily, sometimes twice daily, and threads moved, were added to, and new threads appeared.

Now I come on daily, and sometimes nothing has changed in some forums, (fora???)

Or is it just my imagination?

Alcazar

Yes, agreed, posts bring more posts....well, they certainly used to.  As a daily visitor, for more than 3 years I think there is a problem. I have a brand new all singing and dancing computer, but the new site here is really slow, much slower than TF

I appreciate fact that LF provide this site, free, as much as anyone, but I would be amazed if whoever monitors it said it was as busy as it was two months ago.

There are definately some people who have actually given up on LF, because they told me so - because the new format doesn't flow and other reasons for not liking it. I was going to leave as I do find it frustrating, but I didn't want to lose the contact. I have found though, that the only way to make sense of the current format is to make sure you visit it every day. If you miss a day or two, it becomes impossible to follow. I've found the best policy is to have 3 windows open at the same time so that you can start reading another window while the previous one moves onto the next page. I tried it with only 2 windows yesterday, but that still meant a lot of waiting around. So today I've had 3 windows open and it meant no waiting as I flicked from one to the other. I'm dreading what it will be like when I do miss a few days, and if I go on holiday, it doesn't bear thinking about! It will be really tedious to catch up.

I also think that a lot of you who are still posting are possibly posting far less than previously. Why is that? Is it because if you are tempted to post, your posting would be totally out of context before it appeared at the bottom of the list?

No, I'm used to the format now, I don't mind that, but it is slow!!

And the timeout thing - it can happen while you're writing a brilliantly witty post, and without warning, pouf, you've lost everything.

At least, that's my excuse for not regaling you all with brilliantly witty posts!   

"......it can happen while you're writing a brilliantly witty post, and without warning, pouf,........"

Blimey SB, not strictly PC these days, did you have anyone in particular in mind?

In answer to your problem, yes I know what you mean. When it happens to me but, in my case I unfortunately am not writing the brilliant witty post that yoos do, I log in then proceed to click on back in the tool bar (is that what it is called ?) a couple of times et voila, the message that I had written, arrives back on the screen. Then post it as normal.

You know, Alcazar, it's a funny thing for if you had asked me this a couple of weeks ago I would have fully agreed with you.  I too felt that there were far, far fewer people posting in the weeks after the change - nothing much was happening from one day to the next - and almost posted a similar question myself.  But I've been travelling for ten days not able to access the site and now I'm back see that a lot has gone on in the interim.  Still miss some of our old friends though, even if it is good to see so many new names posting.

M

Oh well, I'll just have to stick with it. I take your point about posting myself, on another BBS, (nothing to do with France), I'm well known and have over 5000 posts to my name

I shouldn't like to think this site was declining, I've had much good advice off here, and have been able to pass some of it on, plus some of my own.

Alcazar

"I shouldn't like to think this site was declining,"

Me neither.  And to this end it's good to see that the Forum (at last) got a mention in LF magazine again this month, something James promised would happen and did.  Well done.  Although I would like to suggest that an entire column is dedicated to it in future editions, as used to be the case.  M

Found this on TF...

>My first post, I have viewed postings in the OTHER site and have to say how much I prefer the enthusiasm I find here.

I personally think a lot of people have got fed up of the whining and generally negativity on LF, sometimes it reminds me of a bus shelter on pension day... most of the time I start to write a post, then decide I can't be bothered to send it as it will lead to down to the usual "why life is so bad in France" thread by the 1000+ posts brigade. As this thread probably will...

[quote]Found this on TF... > My first post, I have viewed postings in the OTHER site and have to say how much I prefer the enthusiasm I find here. I personally think a lot of people have got fed up of ...[/quote]

I can only say that that person must be blind to enthusiasm on LF then. I find most people are enthusiastic on LF, but at the moment, it is easy to understand why there is a lot of whinging about the forum problems. When I've visited TF I always felt as though everyone was on something very strong. It's just not the real world over there.

James, having just been "timed-out" in the middle of lapin a la moutarde, I would beg you to get this sorted out pronto.  It was madly irritating!  Thanks.

Jill, I agree with you about there being no lack of enthusiasm here.  But what I don't understand is, if people don't like this site for whatever reason, why bother looking in?  I'm tempted to add "it's a free world" but unfortunately I know it isn't...   M

>But what I don't understand is, if people don't like this site for whatever reason, why bother looking in?

So if the slow decline and death of this site is due to the slowness of the forum software, that is a BAD thing.

But if it is due to the tone of the forum changing due to a takeover by a small clique of vocal whiners, depressives and hangers-on who feel they own the place, that is FINE and the rest of us who don't like what we see should just p**s off?

Please THINK before you start typing.

"a takeover by a small clique of vocal whiners, depressives and hangers-on who feel they own the place"

Who are these dreadful people, and why do I not see them?   Are they like fairies and angels, who only appear to a chosen few?

I'm worried again........ almost a woot moment, but not quite.

"But if it is due to the tone of the forum changing due to a takeover by a small clique of vocal whiners, depressives and hangers-on who feel they own the place, that is FINE and the rest of us who don't like what we see should just p**s off?"

So what would do you propose to improve the site or did you just want to let off steam at the awful clique? 

Whoops just looked, I am a fanatic, that must mean I am in the clique then, why haven't I received my badge or card then, it's bad enough waiting for a Carte Vitale but waiting for my  Carte Whinge could be very trying

OK the easy way is to hang the damned swine who moan about La Belle France, we must all realise that nothing is wrong over here. It's 10.37 and all's well and all that  

If people are leaving because of the "small Clique" going on the fact that you have just whinged yourself, who will be left to whine and shoot straight from the hip, if all the nasty whingers are sent packing?

"Please THINK before you start typing."

Excellent point, I thought people did that but perhaps not to your thinking? 

P.S

SB, if you ever come across a fairy whinger, please let me know. I am intrigued as to what one would look like but wouldn't being a fairy whinger go against the grain somewhat?

I was told by a chap who gave me a lift in his car to play in a soccer match, that he wouldn't give me a lift home because as I had played like a fairy, I could therefore "fly home"

"But if it is due to the tone of the forum changing due to a takeover by a small clique of vocal whiners, depressives and hangers-on who feel they own the place, that is FINE and the rest of us who don't like what we see should just p**s off?"

I've been a member for four years and I don't think the tone of the forum has changed particularly in that time.  We tend to go in cycles, remember we were hit very badly last year by a succession of trolls?  Surely these so called whiners, depressives and hangers-on you refer to, Hegs, are as entitled to their opinions as you or I?  Though goodness knows who on earth you're referring to.

But there are so many different French forums around now, if people don't especially like this one, they may well feel more at home elsewhere.  I know several former LF people who much prefer dialogue on other sites, whereas I feel more at home here.

Fully concur that the slowness of the site is a serious handicap, especially if it means we lose such valuable contributors and friends in the process.

M

>>But if it is due to the tone of the forum changing due to a takeover by a small clique of vocal whiners, depressives and hangers-on who feel they own the place, that is FINE and the rest of us who don't like what we see should just p**s off?

Please THINK before you start typing.<<<

I think there is a big difference between the two, no forum provider wants a forum that doesn't work properly for everyone and as the software was changed recently its a current concern.

As regards the 'clique etc': There are different shades of opinion here and I think that is what good forums should have. I have to also say that some of it is down to the reader in the interpretation, my idea of 'observation' is the next persons idea of criticism or whinge...........

as in I think your request to 'Please THINK before you start typing' struck me as being very rude, probably a lot ruder than you meant it to be !!

>So what would do you propose to improve the site or did you just want to let off steam at the awful clique? 

Actually, there is nothing I can do except tell you how I feel and maybe try to get you to see how your (pl) behaviour looks from someone else's point of view who doesn't have all day to post or read here.

I've been a member for three years, this negativity is IMHO recent (six months or so). I am not the first to say this either, each time there is a wave of denial - from the same people that crowd out any argument.

I'd rather you didn't deny, justify, trigger-respond but rather thought about what I've said