The most sensible

Val_2

Sad I know,but after all my complaints about these terrible TV progs showing gullible people how easy it is to live abroad without any info, I have to confess to watching this recent series of A Place In The Sun Home and Away mainly because of the hour is is transmitted, which is my quiet cup of tea time before the family start to arrive home and because it is a good comparison of prices in two countries. However, yesterday's which was the last one featuring couples looking, was a gem. A couple in their late 80's felt it was time to move either to Kent or the Dordogne after 30 years in their present home in Hants and it was very moving. All the way through they came up with good common sense on why and where and how would they cope etc,something none of the other wallies who were in the series ever considered,they could only see as far as sitting down and drinking wine all day inthe sunshine. I thoroughly enjoyed it and seeing how far their money could go in France and this is where they have decided to go. The man even admitted he may only have a couple of years of life left but he was determined to enjoy it best as he could, I hope they will both be very very happy and enjoy their last few years here in France.

He had been a surveyor too hadn't he Val ? He found a house that he thought was perfect, the only one in his career apparently. They were a lovely couple.

Did anyone see Grand Design again this week? - not in my price league I'm afraid, but the aptly named builder Monsieur Bas -tard was a treat !! A very frustrating process but with a stunning result.

[quote]He had been a surveyor too hadn't he Val ? He found a house that he thought was perfect, the only one in his career apparently. They were a lovely couple.Did anyone see Grand Design again this week? ...[/quote]

I only caught the end of the Place in the Sun, home or away.

Lovely couple and much to be admired. I thought they said they would only buy the Fr. house if their son was willing to move with them but as I said, I did not see the whole programme.

My thoughts were how would they manage if:-

a)they couldn't drive

b)were unable to cope with the house, maintenance and general cleaning

c) if they didn't have the son move with them it would be a distance for family to get to them quickly to help out in a crisis.

Gay

Grand designs has been mentioned on S.E. France forum.

Interesting programmes, both of them.

Gill

Watched Grand Designs in Haute - Savoie (sp?). So this is how the other half lives  (nearest to envy I can find).

Hmm - interesting costing - wonder if the finished article will be worth the cost. Normally Kevin Mc asks how much they had spent vs original estimate but he didn't, I wonder why ?

John

We are way behind with these programs here and only on cable if at all, so perhaps not many of you will have seen or perhaps remembered the programme I saw this week.

Unbelievable: not about France sorry, but about a couple who lived in Kent and moved to Austria to set up a small hotel.

I was so angry with this people it took all I could muster not to stick my foot through the telly.

The most selfish woman with attitude you could ever meet, with two teenagers who just deserved a kick up the you know where.

After reading all the problems that can arise taking older children out of their known environment, I did feel that perhaps the family had not completely thought it through, but the behaviour of the children involved made me cringe! It was the wife however who really needed to be put down!!!

I expect you have had a follow up series by now, I hope they made it because the poor bloke seemed to be working his you know what off.

Eleanor

[quote]Watched Grand Designs in Haute - Savoie (sp?). So this is how the other half lives (nearest to envy I can find). Hmm - interesting costing - wonder if the finished article will be worth the cost. ...[/quote]

In answer to your question re costs etc have a look here http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-designs/grand-designs-abroad/les-gets.html

Thanks for the link David. Such chalets are so common around here and I have been in some that have been done up beautifully, but traditionally. This looks, well hotel 'ish, can't be someone's real home surely.

And bravo to them for using local products, NOT, the haute savoie was quite capable of furnishing just about all their requirements, all that stuff from Londres, what a bad show really.