Why are you glad...

I'm glad because I am the luckiest woman alive.

I live with my favourite person in the world, I don't have to scrabble around in the morning and go to work 9-5, and I have the peace and tranquility I have always craved.

I spent today planting trees, not for me, but the future, and I have just watched a fantastic programme featuring many of my favourite footballers of the last 15 years. Bliss.

Tresco

........because my wife just told me again she loves me must be the 100348734983 time but it still hits the same spot every time

Yep, know the spot, right bang in the middle of the wallet every time

SB,

Glad you read it though ?

SB - you'd better read Monika Ali's Brick Lane next!

Moi -  have a cotisation bill of 3500 euros to pay (and this is on top of monthly insurance bills and subcriptions), Bush won the US election, an environmentalist got killed yesterday trying to stop the transportation of nuclear waste, and I'm sure loads of innocent folks around the globe got blown to smithereens in some war or another........so do I have a right to be glad? I dunno........but I think I am.

regards......helen (doing French paint effects today -  a mad shade of orange whilst listening to Mariza at full volume!!!!)

I read Brick Lane last week, Helen!  

Have you read the Bookseller?  The writer says that she has never been so angry in her life, and never argued with people so much in her life, as when she was with the bookseller's family.    She's just passing it on, it makes you mad!  Well worth a read.  I hope the Taliban are all well and truly dead.

I'm glad I'm not a Taliban too.  And that I don't have 3500 euros cotisations to pay.

Brick lane, oh the memories..................

In the mid/late 70's I had a leather & suede part time business, run from my gown van.

I bought off a couple of good jewish manufacturers, one was called Monty Smith, who become a good friend over the years and who made up some lovely jackets and coats etc. All manufactured in really old decrepid warehouses down Brick lane and off to fashion street and some almost in Middlesex Stret (Petticoat lane ). Talk of "travail noir" that is how it all went then.

By the time I was thinking of getting out of the game, the people we bought from had all but gone, leaving the new Bangladeshi and other Asian owners to carry on but sadly for the most part, not to the same quality and standard, thus the markets all over the south (and no doubt all over the UK sold lots of inferior quality at cheap prices, that made it very difficult for us to carry on selling the better garments but still,  people were getting cheaper leather goods so...............time to move on.

Those that know the area around Brick Lane could never have thought it would end up like it has today, more yuppie and curry than I ever thought possible !   It sure is a huge improvement on those days in the 70's and before, I'll say that.

P.S...... and jellied eels and pie and licquer from Toby Isaacs before the drive home with the gear.

SB

I've read The Bookseller of Kabul too and am mighty glad I'm not an afghan (woman especially!) either. If you enjoyed that you maybe interested to read 'Afghanistan, Where God Only Comes to Weep'.  It's one of the most moving and memorable books I've ever read. 

Didn't enjoy Brick Lane though; got bored and gave up half way through. Might give it another try though.

As for feeling glad I do often count my blessings, trouble is I find that the gladness is always tinged with a feeling of guilt because there's so much s**t going on elsewhere in the world