Embarrassing English snobs in France

[quote]Looking at the other thread, i'd just like to add this I'm working class, didnt want to work, had a good job, packed it in and moved over here after a few visits. I have been to Mcdonalds once since...[/quote]

I don't understand why you had to copy my post heading to make yours, it was originally about swearing loudly in front of children and others. in a play area. I don't see the connection with snobbery.

Georgina

[quote]>>>And this got me thinking about other non-U things and all those tell tale words that supposedly give away a person's background and how they're invariably words that are used in French such as parf...[/quote]

"My pet hate is the word 'lounge' (and even worse the aussie 'lounge room' )

I think its lavatory, not loo"

I've never been sure about this one as I was brought up with a lounge and my husband was brought up with a living room. Yet our mothers were brought up round the corner from each other and my husband's grandmother was "well to do" in the eyes of my Mums family. Yet, living room conjures up the old fashioned idea to me where everyone cooked, ate, bathed, washed and dried clothes etc in the one room and a lounge seems to me a place where you sit to relax, but don't use it for eating etc. I don't like Lounge Room either, but lounge seems normal to me - although my kids seem to have been influenced more by their fathers language, which surprises me since I spend more time with them, or certainly did when they were small.

As for snobbery in France, I remember one family I stayed in where Madame asked me if I liked their "Villa" which seemed a very snobby way to describe their home - although it was very nice. Another day, she said she didn't like her sister in law - "elle est snob", but I can't say I particularly noticed!

As for where people wash their hands etc, times have changed anyway - you do it where it is most practical. In our old house, it would have been the kitchen sink, but now we have a downstairs loo, so that seems more practical because it's away from food etc. Oh, and Madame's mother threw a wobbler because I said toilette rather than cabinet or WC. Not the done thing, apparently!

Yes Dick, The expression my grandmother used was 'all hair grease and no socks'

At home I think we had a 'living room' The lounge was vaguely reminiscent of the pub

When I worked as a nanny it was usually referred to as the 'sitting room' which given the age of some of the houses was possibly historically correct.

I heard that fur coat and no knickers one very recently, in Sligo, Eire.

The other thing I heard, over and over again, was " ooooh, you sound just like someone from 'Coronation Street',  with the responses being a mixture of "aah, she doesn't" and "aaaah, she does",  "she does", "she doesn't" and so on until I wanted to say; 'and you lot sound like someone off 'Father Ted', but I didn't, because it was a wedding, and I was brought up to be polite in front of people, and then have endless laughs at ther expense afterwards.

[quote]And as my father used to say, "You think your body everyself 'cos your mother's got a mangle."Not you Jill. I'm not sure where that came from, just popped into my head...[/quote]

Not sure I understand what you are saying - but Oh, Dick - I wish I still had a mangle!

When we first got married, we used to soak the washing in the bath and then haul it round to the laundrette. Then someone sold us a washing machine with a mangle. That was around 1979 - most people had automatics! How I regret the day that we were offered a twin tub and I said goodbye to the mangle! Well I wouldn't be without the automatic, but a mangle would be very handy for handwashed stuff. Mind you, it was a bit hair raising the time the clothes I was wearing got caught in it and I had to reach for a bread knife to cut myself free! Exciting times!