Presents from France

SaligoBay

What typically French things do you send from France as Christmas (or any other) presents?

We get lots of really cool stuff sent from Aus, including a large inflatable kangaroo, which was a real hit here.  Yes really, it was!

Obviously no wine.  Books are all in French, so they're not much good for non-French speakers.  Chocolates, liqueur-filled or otherwise, are widely available everywhere.   Calissons and nougat don't seem very popular.  Provençal things can look a bit naff outside the south of France.

I'm stuck!   A few boxes of marrons glacés have made their way over La Manche this year, I'll see what the reaction is to them (I've never tried them).   No pate de fruits sweets, because I remember from childhood that they were always left till last, must be a culture thing.

Chirrupping cigales?  Jacques Chirac glow-in-the-dark keyring?   Maybe I should have bought a stock of small Eiffel Towers from the Africans in Paris at the weekend.

A box of Kinder Eggs with Le Pole Express on it, to show that it came from France?  

A framed EDF bill?

perhaps a gift voucher for the millau viaduct.  (will buy our eldest a lifetime supply....she was sick everytime we did those bends!!!)

Our daughter goes to a pointe de croix class each week in the village......they make all sorts of useless but lovely tat....the reletives get the benefit!!

French chocolates (especially the pyrenéens), calissons, foie gras, I once sent some of those little knife rests my mother in law uses. for friends with kids I send French style clothes. My sister always wanted to dress her daughte in one of those hats with the fur round the brim and scarf bits flapping down to be wrapped round.

Elderly ladies of our aquaintance love the sugared almonds, they are almost impossible to get in many parts of the UK including parts of London.

French clothes for my granddaughters. Nicaraguan chickens for my mates (yes I know that they are not French but they were sent from France).

I would send cheese if I could but by the time it got there it would be walking itself.

Several members of my family have been sent Charentaise slippers. MG they are soooo lucky

I've spent the last week stuffing presents into cardboard wine boxes (had to drink loads of wine) and it cost more than a flight back to the UK to post them all.

Will do a trip over next December or send a cheque to Unicef.

helen

I did a trip over at french half term with the girls to take pressies,booked on an offer less than 50 quid for the three of us and saw the family to boot!....just wish the pantos started sooner, looking now for a cheepie flight to take the youngest for a couple of nights before christmas..can go for 00.1 euro but would cost the earth to get home before christmas , will try for between christmas and new year.

Right, well, what can I say!

Calissons (not to be confused with caleçons) are on their way to a different set of people from those who turned their noses up at them last year.

Not sure about Nicaraguan slippers and Charentaise chickens tho......

Definitely regret not stocking up on touristy Paris tat at the weekend, I was obviously looking at it with a jaundiced French-resident eye. 

SB, please don't mention the Paris tourist tat ....I have only just recovered form my lunchtime trip to Lafayette and Printemps. Do people really but this stuff ?

As far as French presents go I find the girls are quite easy. Lampe Berger are always a hit as they don't exist in England (but then you must be prepared to send the refills as you can't get those either)or anything from Caudalie as they only have a limited range in UK.

Don't have a clue what to get for boys. Maybe those little Tour Eiffel are attractive after all ......

I'm trying to think what I stock up on when I go to France that would do as presents.

Foie gras obviously, different soaps and toiletries, those fabric panniers that tie at the corners. I've bought pretty embroidered linen bags (very cheap) and really lovely table linens. Then what about things from Vide Grenniers like old enamelled coffee pots that are now so popular in UK? Any gardener might like the lovely old tools you so often see. My husband bought a old bulb planter, all worn and polished for 8 euros. You can find nice plates with french fables on, or interesting prints.