Questions and Answers

How irritated I am with posts about posts being a waste of time. So what is a waste of time, perhaps an awful lot of posts come into this catagory if that is the case.  Examples could be constant questioning about exactly the same thing!

Well, the constant questioning about the same thing is OK.

If those who say posts are a waste of time, then maybe they should just ignore those posts that they don't like, and IF they have a modicum of knowledge or information pass it on with good grace.

Theres a bit of a thing going on between albi and outcast at the moment, saying a post and the responses are a waste of time. I think they are just trying to distract attention from something else the thread about sleep deprivation has thrown up (pun intended).

Generally though, I think the members of this forum are pretty generous with their advice, repeatedly so in many cases - that is, answering the same or similar questions again and again. I think that's great, I really do, but I'm a softy.

I hope at some time in the future to be able to answer more 'living in france' related queries, at the moment I just don't feel knowledgable enough, and even with the 'simple' things, someone usually posts a good response before I see the thread. It certainly doesn't ever bother me that people ask questions to which the answer seems obvious. It's only obvious if you know, and also, sometimes people just want to tell what happened to them. Respond or ignore as you wish.

tresco

Netiquette suggests that posts which are a waste of time should be ignored not responded to. People who ignore this basic courtesy rarely make useful or interesting posts although there are of course exceptions, nobody is perfect.

Is there or is there not a search facility on the forum,the answer is yes there is,so why do people not use it and post a question that as been answered many times before,that said the post bag is a place to exchange the differing views on france as seen by most posters from france.

I've tried to use the search facility a few times.  It looks snazzy, but it just doesn't work as well as it used to.

The other thing is that some information dates, so it's good that people take the time to post new information in response to what might seem an 'old' question.

[quote]I've tried to use the search facility a few times. It looks snazzy, but it just doesn't work as well as it used to. The other thing is that some information dates, so it's good that people take the...[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Nic

Sorry teamed up I was mistaken when I thought you knew it all,it now appears you dont,rules, which rules have changed?forum rules, french rules, world rules ,rules for living here in france or rules for working in france oops sorry you have never worked in france,maybe you can pass me the questions on that subject, anything on insults I will pass over to you,because you post them so you must know what they mean.Bon apres midi.

Hoddy - Moderator's hat on.

I have removed a large number of posts from this thread.

Not all of them were offensive, but they didn't make sense without what went before.

James will be back at work tomorrow and he will no doubt make the necessary decisions about some people's continued membership of the forum.

Happy new year to all !

Hoddy

I have to say that I agree with Teamdup on this one.  Things change.  Laws, prices, product availability, regulations etc.  Therefore someone will always have a new perspective to offer.  If you are one of those who gets annoyed at repeated questions then I feel very sorry for you.  It is not compulsory for you to put your two penneth in.  Go and do some gardening, take a walk or read a book and let those who are happy to pass on their experiences do so without any unpleasantness.  Thank you and a Happy New Year to one and all.

I would say that "old" questions are an essential part of the forum.

When I first logged on I really didn't know which questions would be uesful to me for our move and it was other people's requests for information that have gradually improved my knowledge.

If everyone used the search engine, we wouldn't know what they were asking and apropos the above, wouldn't find out the answer.

Em