Feet

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/050509/202/4eg1p.html

Here is a link about the state of french feet. Sounds like a lot of people are suffering with their feet.

And there are 10.000 foot amputations per year. Is this a lot, it sounds a lot to me, but it may not be. I don't know of anyone who's lost a foot anywhere, although I do know a girl who had her leg amputated after medical negligence in a local hospital.

TU, I'm beginning to wonder what you're on at the moment first Ann Summers and now amputees? 

Incidentally, no disrespect to the handicapped intended, but surely most of us have been legless on occasions in France, certainly know I have...  

M

Footless, well i know a lot of locals who like to get legless.

Neck braces seem to be the medical fashion item of choice around here.

The French like to think they are a cut above rest rest, not this shows that they are a cut below the rest.

Well my husband always says that a Frenchman isn't a real Frenchman round here unless he's got at least two fingers missing or he walks with a limp

More seriously though, our neighbour (only 38) had his foot amputated about 4 years ago after kicking his tractor because it wouldn't start and then getting it caught in the machinery.  Seeing as there is so much agriculture in France perhaps a percentage could be due to similar sorts of accidents, although from the article it looked as though it was more to do with ailments than accidents.

although from the article it looked as though it was more to do with ailments than accidents.

I would have thought so. Didn't the piece say something about amputations following complications to do with Diabetes? I know that people with Diabetes have to be extremely careful about washing and drying their feet, and in particular how they cut their toenails. I have known two people (Diabetics) who have had a foot taken off due to poor foot care. Both were elderly, not particularly in touch with any care agencies, one could not reach her feet and was too embarrassed to ask for help, the other let her grandson cut her toenails and he nicked her - she got gangrene I think.

Only 10,000 - that is childs play - the UK system can beat that any day for just one type of illness - with roughly the same number of inhabitants of each country it makes for comparison.

Doctors have claimed that about 13,500 diabetics suffer needless foot amputations after developing ulcers.

They claim that a new treatment - VAC therapy - which makes surgery unnecessary is being blocked by NHS bosses http://www.bnn-online.co.uk/comments_display.asp?HeadlineID=536

Another cause of ampuation is a side effect of smoking and blood restriction to the extremities.

Perhaps if the French system really does follow the UK mould, the incidence of amptuation will also increase to match this.

I am sure we could find better things to talk about - as this is the Postbag - the Hirondelles that keep coming into our living area for one thing.

It's called diabetic neuropathy and cause narrowing and blockage of small blood vessels, which is why diabetics suffer limb loss, blindness and organ failure. It's a nasty, pernicious side effect of diabetes and the problem is it's happening unseen for 20 or 25 years. There is  a lack of sensation of pain or heat, which is why for example, people can scaled themselves in a hot bath and just not know it.

And guys especially, it can affect all extremities !!