Trouble in Perpignan

Did this make it into the UK news at all?   Riots, burnings, lootings, CRS, it's been très chaud down there in the general direction of Spain.

In French at http://info.france2.fr/france/10867434-fr.php

And it all started with the simple beating to death of a jeune maghrebin (Moroccan/N African) in broad daylight by 3 gitans armed with metal bars, something about an allegation of car theft, or over a parking place.   The murder of a second maghrebin on Sunday night didn't help matters.

It's that laid-back lifestyle, innit, it must get to people after a while. 

[quote]Did this make it into the UK news at all? Riots, burnings, lootings, CRS, it's been très chaud down there in the general direction of Spain. In French at http://info.france2.fr/france/10867434-fr....[/quote]

"It all started with the simple beating to death of a yound maghrebin."     ??????

Christine

I was in France but nowhere near Perpignan. There was a lot of coverage on French radio news about this happening. I don't know whether it hit the U.K. headlines but then I expect we had our own violence and tragedies to report.

It is sometimes a very sad world in which we live.

Gill

'"It all started with the simple beating to death of a yound maghrebin."     ??????'

Having been here a long time, much longer than i have been posting, I feel safe in saying Saligobay was being a tiny bit sarcastic. She may also have been drawing attention to the way many people seem to view these sort of events.

Thank you for the clarification Tresco and apologies for the typing mistake, it should of course have been young maghrebin.  Glad to learn that the guru Saligobay is a "she", you never know who you are dealing with behind all these pseudos.  Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit they say, but it's such fun isn't it?!  

Christine

Thank you ZappaFan, ironic is better. I just could not think of  a better word at the time. I am losing the power of speech.

Anyway, Christine, (and I din't even notice your typing error)you still seem a little unconvinced, but SB often slopes around the internet finding stuff for us to read that is nothing to do with being a white ex-pat in France!

Edit. Oh blithering heck I re read your post Christine and it seems you may have been convinced, of something after all, sorry. Anyway this guru thing, no offense to those who have achieved this 'status', but it is based on number of posts, not level of wisdom. We have recently lost a member who would have achieved guruhood a long time ago if he had not had half his posts deleted along the way

All we need to do now is convince Julz that my comments were practical and not `snide`and we will have an apparent TF situation, Fluffy and Pink!

mrs O

PS have to go to this area of Perpignan tomorrow......wish me a safe jouney

God knows it's not Miki up high on the saddle but one of Gods priveleged people, he knows I am more to the style of Adam Faith but our "cyber chavs" will not have the problems associated with living in Slough, that's a bonus I guess

"....Lunch on me for whoever knows where that quote comes from"

Was it Marilyn Monroe to Jack ?

Or Kathy Burke to Harry Enfield ?

Or THAT woman to Pres Mitterand (Miki Mitter being the suggested code name used at the time)?

[quote]All we need to do now is convince Julz that my comments were practical and not `snide`and we will have an apparent TF situation, Fluffy and Pink! mrs O PS have to go to this area of Perpignan tomor...[/quote]

was the Perpignan trip safe, mrs O?

Yup back safe and sound ,thanks for asking. We didn`t have to venture that far as I did a search on pages jaunes and found a cobbler(cordonnerier) nearer to home....though there arn`t many about....the shop we found took me back 30 odd years. Mrs O

Saligo, I'm probably way off but I sort of remember a man saying this about another man or to another man. Very cloudy though

All round to TU's for lunch (I changed the rules). 

It was indeed young Edmund Blackadder, after inadvertently burning the only copy of Dr Johnson's famous dictionary.   He stayed up all weekend trying to rewrite it, with the help of Prince George and Baldrick, then fell asleep and dreamed that Dr Johnson came in and said it didn't matter because the dictionary was rubbish.  Blackadder tells Dr Johnson he loves him, and Dr J goes pirhouetting happily off, along with Baldrick who has changed into a pirhouetting Alsatian.