Another Canicule?

Just checked on the forecast, another 5 days of hot and warm sunshine and not a spot of rain in sight. So are we in for another canicule similar to 2003?  I seem to remember the weather was similar in June 2003 which was the last heatwave.

My grass is looking like hay, plants and vegetables are looking very thirsty.

Our guests are happy but we desperately need some rain.

Deby

I was thinking of posting on the same subject.

We DESPERATELY need rain.

We had hardly any over winter and have only had two rainy days since March at least. The river level in Jan/Feb was that of summer levels whereas in previous years it had seriously burst its banks. The fields are looking really parched already and there are huge cracks in my lawn because the ground is so dry. We have no restrictions yet in this area (Dordogne) but the neighbouring Charente have had restrictions for some time.

It's great to have the nice weather but I think we'll all have to start doing a Rain Dance soon - anyone know the steps!

Way too dry here in Hérault 34 too.   The pompier red-and-yellow helicopter has been around looking for fires.   Our cypress leylandii hedge (just thought I'd slip in my new piece of Garden Knowledge there) is going brown.   And we have two enormous trees in the garden, as yet unidentified, but beautiful, which are also giving the impression of knocking on heaven's door.   I'll be sad if they do.

But as you say, the guests will be happy!   SUNSHINE!!!! 

Really thick sea fog here doing the watering for us at this moment,its so wet outside I can't put the washing out, but come 11am it will be hot and sunny again like yesterday although we still managed to find a lot of wet deep mud in the woods that hasn't dried out yet. I don't believe we will get a heatwave again like 2003 this year.

What we wouldn't give for some rain ! Here in the Vaucluse, we are already - and have been since April - living under strict water usage laws. Thank goodness the pool was kept full from previous two years, but can't do that forever...

Everything is covered in dust as the winds have blown for the last week and that has done a number on my potted plants. Really would do any type rain danse to get some rain.

Val - I noticed that too ! I had bought two from the local SHOPI for 98 cents each and they were SO good, now I see them all for 1.80 each. Go figure - I'm not really sure, but my neighbors, who don't grow melons but grow other fruits say that this has been a tough dry year for them, just like last year and the year before...

WE NEED SOME RAIN !! It is so hard to see the rest of France get the previous stuff and we sit and pray.

Yes, I know the guests all love it and I can understand that, but in the long run, the area has really suffered and we don't see the end to it yet.

We have had rain and it has been hot, not for the last few days though. And that north wind is positively chilly and has been blowing hard for days. It is very very green here at the moment though.

A couple of weeks ago we had just a top sheet on the bed and had to throw that off as it was too hot. Then a day or so later we needed a sheet and a blanket. Then the summer quilt back on, bit warmer than the blanket along with the sheet. Last night, summer quilt and blanket. Doesn't feel like a canicule is on it's way.

[quote]Thanks for the link, our area isn't touched at all. Is it excessively hot now in the regions that are already lacking water.[/quote]

Tell me about it! I'm not far from the Charente but in the Dordogne and it's been hot hot hot for ages now with forecasts to remain so into the mid thirties until at least end of next week.

V.Hot yesterday then chilly evening,but fantastic again today here in NW29. Hoping we might get our first BBQ of the year tomorrow lunchtime as every weekend so far has been either wet,windy or just too miserable to sit outside.  Tip- for those newly arrived in France,stock up now on meat as sure as eggs are eggs,come the start of the holiday rush,the prices really do go up on those sausages and chops.