Menu translations

Over the years I've seen several amusing translations on English-version menus in foreign countries. Yesterday I had lunch in Avignon. The restaurant was offering a salad featuring 'Believed Ham'. Yes, that's right, 'Jambon Cru'!

Anybody else seen any amusing mis-translations on menus?

Angela (the 83 one)

Perhaps the proprietors used a translation agency that I've recently done some editing for. In one piece I worked on, which was a tourist brochure, 'le marche (as in market, please imagine acute accent - how DO you do them on this forum board?) sur l'eau' was translated as 'walking on the water':!! I kid you not. The scary thing is that many clients opt not to pay the extra to have the translation checked by a native speaker. I suppose that quite reasonably, they expect the translator to be competent.

Jo

And don't you just love online translators!   Just when you think you've seen it all, they come up with another little surprise for you.

A friend was looking for information on diving at the Cassis Calanques near Marseille, or, as the online translator said, "Plunge in the Blackcurrant Creeks".

"Only one diving is organized the morning. It is about an exit reserved for the tested plungers."

And my friend is a tested plunger, isn't that lucky! 

Our local Hotel used to offer an English translation of its menu. One of the offerings was "Grilled Sausage with a mustard sauce". In fact it wa Andouillette in a Mustard Sauce. I dread to think what the passing English tourist, expecting the equivalent of a breakfast sausage thought as he bit into the steaming delicacy......

Alan.

Talking of septic tanks (don't we always?!)...

Playing with a translator one day, put in "Do not put panty liners etc. in the lavatory, please place in the waste bin provided"... translated it to French then back into English (best way to test if it's OK - or not - but it's fun!) - came back as "Do not make passenger boats in the washbasin, square in the bread bin".

Jo

seen last month in France, on a campsite menu, Crudenesses of vegetables and Chicken's stomach!

I tactfully offered to put their translations right for them and although they were a little embarrassed I think they were pleased.

Gill

I've i long list of translation boo boos from our wanderings. A good one was 'Live Chicken in boiling water' at a restaurant in Toamasina/Tamatave in Madagascar. It was meant to be chicken stew, made with fresh chicken ( opp, the tin stuff which is 'FOUL').

The best are always the clas'sic' Britist dishes.

English Breakfast. Ground up bits of meat with chips and egg. Malawi

Fish and Chips. Frieid poatos and fish in soggy flower...Galle, Sri Lanka