Brittany golf protestors disembowel horse

Turnip

Sunday Times(Page 10) features story of English woman in Brittany who is helping a British plan to build a golf course. Seems like local protestors killed her horse ! Mention of growing animosity to number of Brits. settling in Brittany. Usual comments about some Brits. not speaking french despite long term residence, local Breton nationalist group active in the area etc. Mayor assures reporter that majority of Bretons get along well with the Brits. Seems the reporter could not resist asking what the locals thought of Brits. settling in the area.

What you describe is horrible. However, I guess that any incomers would receive similar treatment. Just say the word Parisian in the Vendée and see what happens. It is down to parochial, narrow minded jealousy and is not just a French phenomenon.

Turnip, your agenda is showing. To quote from the article:

"Michel Denoual, the mayor of Théhillac, praised the golf course which he said would provide jobs for 200 people. Asked whether British residents were popular with the locals, he replied: “There are certain British people who don’t speak any French even though they have lived here for years.

“The majority of British residents are quite popular.

There does seem to be a hard core of locals who are anti-British, but they are not in a majority.”

So most people like most Brits (or Bits?).

No agenda Dickie. Simply pointing out continued tabloid interest in making mountains out of molehills. I would expect forum members to glean that fact by looking at the article rather than expecting me to repeat all of it here. Hope you get a better photo

Whatever the motive for printing the paper in publishing that article, I think the action of those involved is as pathetic as it is horrific.

Yes it may only be a few, but that's little consolation for that woman and her family.

Christine try www.thetimes.co.uk which will then go to the times online automatically and this story was in small print on the left hand side. Another one-sided story blown up out of all proportion and accusing the locals of killing this woman's animals without any proof whatsoever. Another Bourbriac?

Thanks Val, I found it.  For anyone else, to save the time of finding it :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1807052,00.html

Has anyone seen anything in the French news about this?

Edit: There does seem to be something "bizarre", the original article link seems to have disappeared, but the commentaire is there :

http://decisionnel.typepad.com/job/2005/09/thhillac56_sain.html

[quote]Thanks Turnip, I love being patronised by Cornishmen. Hope you get a better life.[/quote]

And I love provoking your school masterly, patronising, retorts Dickie 

On a more serious note - I agree with other forum members here that it is not nice for the victim of these senseless attacks on her animals.

It was in Ouest France one day last week.  Several days before the Sunday Times anyway.

They don't know who did it.  Just like they don't know who is doing atrocious things to the animals on the Swiss border which might have given the idea to a.....person.....when it appeared on Sept a Huit the other Sunday.

[quote]It was in Ouest France one day last week. Several days before the Sunday Times anyway. They don't know who did it. Just like they don't know who is doing atrocious things to the animals on the Swis...[/quote]

Attacks on horses have been reported in the south of England recently.