Banks - New Government Framework?

TrishT

Just got a letter from our French Bank (we are resident in UK) but have a holiday home in France and a French bank account containing a very small amount of money.  It doesn't translate too well but it appears we have to give them proof of identity and details of our tax office in the UK.  The last part I can't quite understand and wonder if anyone can help me with it.  It reads as follows. 

Par ailleurs, nous vous informons que la validité de la procuration éventuelle que vous avez donnée à un tiers pour le fonctionnement de votre compte est limite à 3 ans.  De ce fait, nous vous demandons de nous en confirmer le maintien.

Trish to paraphrase,

they are informing you that the information that you give will be considered to be valid for 3 years and that you are asked to ensure that the information is kept up to date.

This is all part of the pan-European moves to ensure that individuals are not hiding their money from the tax authorities by using foreign accounts - interest earning or not.

[quote]Andy is close, but not quite there.It seems that in the past you gave a third party power of attorney over your account. That was only valid for three years and they want to know if you wish to prolon...[/quote]

Oooer - I'm a bit worried now as I don't recall giving anyone power of attorney unless this means giving the bank the right to deduct normal charges? We are in the process of selling our property and had intended that the money be paid into this account before we move it back to the UK.  Perhaps not a sensible thing to do.  I shall ask for some further advice in another posting.  Many thanks for your replies. Pat (06)

Don't panic everyone who is not a french national is getting these. We had one from CA some months ago,one for each of us and basically they wanted to clarify for their records that we were fiscally resident here and since when, our tax return nos here,our dependents etc and confirmation of the actual account nos. This will ensure that people are not dodging either the UK or French IR as all this info will be passed on and those resident here but not declaring anything on paper should watch out, they may get a nasty surprise next tax year.