It leaves you cold.....

Jon Henley in Paris
Wednesday January 11, 2006
The Guardian

A French man has vowed to take his 20-year battle to freeze his dead parents to the European court of human rights.

Rémy Martinot, the son of two cryopreservation enthusiasts who believed scientific progress might one day bring them back to life, said he refused to accept a ruling yesterday from France's highest legal authority, the council of state, that keeping his parents Monique (who died in 1984) and Raymond (who died in 2002) in a minus 65C vault in the family chateau near Saumur threatened public order and health.

"I fail to understand how this practice is a threat," he said.

Whadja reckon?   Should the keeping of cadavers be encouraged on private property?    Maybe one of those frozen food places could make a sideline of it, Picard's Preserved Parent Parts?   Or is he just a spoiled rich boy with nothing better to do with his time? 

Actually, thinking about it too long is kinda spooky.  Would you REALLY want to bring someone back from the dead?   The genie in Aladdin was against it - "it's not nice and I don't like doing it"!  [:)] 

Also, I have a feeling that -65 C isn't cold enough to preserve tissue

for very long-term storage: I thought that it needed to be closer to

-180 C. Presumably at the higher temperature the "specimens" would turn

to mush in a couple of hundred years or so. I seem to remember that

there was a company set up in London in the 1980's to freeze burnt-out

yuppies for future resurrection (what WOULD our great, great, great

grandchildren make of that rabble I wonder?), but I've no idea whether

it ever came to anything.

Never seen the point of freezing the dead. Once frozen it would never be possilbe to re-animate the copse because of cell damaged caused be freezing. My wife is thinking of having here mothers ashes turned in a diamond, but now they will just have to stay in one on the guest bedrooms.

Cloning and cryogenics seem very strange notions to me. I don't want to live for ever. I don't want to be brought back at any future date and I don't want to be copied either.

And yes, I reckon that if this bloke cannot do it right, for there are places in France where one can be frozen for the future for a price, then they should take his parents off him.

Reminds me of a friend who took his father-in-law's ashes to sprinkle in the Solent while watching the Jubilee Review of the fleet: unfortunately celebrated too much too soon, missed the tide and grounded on the sand bar at the harbour mouth, urn fell over and spilt ashes, and wife insisted boat was now haunted and must be sold!

Me, once I'm gone, they can do what they want with what's left!

[quote user="Philmco"]

Reminds me of a friend who took his father-in-law's ashes to sprinkle in the Solent while watching the Jubilee Review of the fleet......

[/quote]

My own fathers ashes went in the Solent too Philmco, after being taken on a boisterous trip to Portsmouth. They went to several old sea dog pubs/haunts, and HMS Victory, if I am to believe my brothers.

This was after a year in the bottom of my mums wardrobe.

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Philmco"]

Reminds me of a friend who took his father-in-law's ashes to sprinkle in the Solent while watching the Jubilee Review of the fleet......

[/quote]

My own fathers ashes went in the Solent too Philmco, after being taken on a boisterous trip to Portsmouth. They went to several old sea dog pubs/haunts, and HMS Victory, if I am to believe my brothers.

This was after a year in the bottom of my mums wardrobe.

[/quote]

The Solent must be the most haunted bit of water in Europe.  My dad's ashes, too, were consigned to the ebb tide near the Calshot light vessel (now replaced by a buoy) to ensure maximum dispersal throughout the east and west Solent.

Patrick