• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Tresco"]

LOL, While the dogs away.....[:D]

What's the oppostite of Harem? 

PS Come back Dick, place names starting without Capital Letters Alert [:'(]

[/quote]

If its a joke, I give up what IS the opposite to a harem.  Also a few weeks ago you asked me if I knew Frank O Fyle and I did not answer.  I dont; why do you ask?

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"][quote user="Tresco"]

LOL, While the dogs away.....[:D]

What's the oppostite of Harem? 

PS Come back Dick, place names starting without Capital Letters Alert [:'(]

[/quote]

If its a joke, I give up what IS the opposite to a harem.  Also a few weeks ago you asked me if I knew Frank O Fyle and I did not answer.  I dont; why do you ask?

[/quote]

Frank O'File and his cousin, Frank O'Fobe were well known Irish writers: surprised you didn't know them.[;-)]

O'File's Nobel winning tome, "Oppostite from a Moorish Harem" is really a play on words and on his personal convictions concerning apostate statements. Being Irish, you understand.

Either that, or he was drunk on a surfeit of good Irish whisky at the time. Either is probable.

Neither is possibly right: or even left.[*-)][*-)]

The opposite to a harem is a stud farm, I guess. Or possibly a Trappist monastery, depends on how your mind works.

As to Frank O'Phile he was the opposite of, say, a person who lets you know who he is and posts mostly sensibly...

I think we had met him/her in a few places before. But then, there's a lot of that about...

If its a joke, I give up what IS the opposite to a harem. 

I suppose the answer could be a 'Merah'

Frank O Flyle, there's a blast from the recent past! 

Well, he was a man who got quite cross with us all here, (especially Possum Girl and Gay), then some of us being the protective and supportive types we are, got cross right back at him. 

He wasn't a troll, but he raised my troll paranoia index level to 'don't walk over the rickety bridge' level. I thought you might be Associates of his.[:$]

I got over it very quickly though, because you're funny and clever, whereas he just thought he was. So There.[:P]

Frank o'Fyle was a blogger who dipped a toe into the shiny waters of LivingFrance (as it was then) and cast a few unwarranted aspersions. He discovered that the pond was freezing cold and indeed, sharp-toothed pike lurked beneath the surface. Various 'members' followed him 'home' to remonstrate. He blogged off and was never seen again. Fiddle with the Search function if you really want to know. Personally I'd recommend clipping toenails or something equally absorbing.  

This line of the surreal, reminds me of a sort of humorous (depends on your perspective! Mine, I guess might be best be described as a cross between Milliganesque and Learist) genre I developed, a few years ago, which was a type of parody on Irish people and self-ridiculing satire.

(nota bene: I spent considerable time in Ireland, quite a few years ago, and fell in love with the Emerald Isle and its people and their matchless ability to poke fun at themselves and their culture).

To whit:

Vi.o'Lyn (Musician):  Silv o'Krin (Hairdresser): Vas o'Line ( Grease Merchant).

They become even worse! I shall stop now![:$] (Thank goodness, I hear you cry).[:P]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

This line of the surreal, reminds me of a sort of humorous (depends on your perspective! Mine, I guess might be best be described as a cross between Milliganesque and Learist) genre I developed, a few years ago, which was a type of parody on Irish people and self-ridiculing satire.

(nota bene: I spent considerable time in Ireland, quite a few years ago, and fell in love with the Emerald Isle and its people and their matchless ability to poke fun at themselves and their culture).

To whit:

Vi.o'Lyn (Musician):  Silv o'Krin (Hairdresser): Vas o'Line ( Grease Merchant).

They become even worse! I shall stop now![:$] (Thank goodness, I hear you cry).[:P]

[/quote]

No Gluestick, please somemore. 

Dotty

There was a lad in Kildare called Poge Mahone, that sold wool from a sheep that he would bring round all the houses, selling various patches of wool off the sheep to the owl ones. He told me once that he conned the owl Mrs O'Riley one, into buying all the wool left on his sheeps back by saying "Mrs Flannigan had that patch there off his bum"  and Mrs O'Riley said "the cheek of that owl whore, give me the rest of that lads wool" She had all his sheeps wool after that untill she made friends with Mrs Flannigan and she revealed his secret.

Malone? Wasn't that de same as had the cousin Paddy de Pig, him dat rode about on the ol' rusty Vespa an' his owl raincoat tied up wid a bit o' dat hairy string round his gut un him being de millionaire from de pigs?

You know who I'm meanin'! Him dat rode around Dublin like a tinker and had all de farms?

'Twas never de same after him got away! God rest his soul.

I know someone who grew up in Dublin in the 60's and 70's.

He said it was perfectly normal to have a horse, any horse would do, and no matter if you lived in a flat or whatever.

His mum told me a story about him. She'd been to the Bingo, and when she came home she saw a movement in the garden. She went to see what it was and to cut a long story short  '.....and it was a horse...sitting there eating my carrots...and it had my coat on it!'.

Lovely lad Ollie... he's just the same to this day, he'd give anyones coat to a horse[:P]

Ah now hang on kittie kat, I think the Sticky Guy is funny, I think Mr Nix is funny, and you are funny too.

I won't choose between you. I won't, I won't...but I love Mr Nix the best, [:D] because I have known him longer.

He never shouts, he is always Mr Nix, and he never says he has an interview in the morning.

That said, good luck with the interview.[:D]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]No signs of anyone picketing anything; though, Kat, the more accurate term is sitting for'ard of the ferry, not in front of.
[/quote]

Ooh, Dick, you don't often give the rest of us an opportunity to pick nits, but you did there.

For'ard implies that the pickets would have actually been onboard the ferry - 'ahead of' is how us nautical types refer to 'in front of'.

Sorry about that, welcome back to just up the road from us, I know what you mean about the internet connection here. Hope the saucisse was up to standard, and you didn't get persuaded to buy any of the blue nylon pinnies or tastefully-hued plastic flowers at the market.

[quote user="Will "] [quote user="Dick Smith"]No signs of anyone picketing anything; though, Kat, the more accurate term is sitting for'ard of the ferry, not in front of.
[/quote]

Ooh, Dick, you don't often give the rest of us an opportunity to pick nits, but you did there. [/quote]

Dicksmith wasn't even picking the right persons nits in the first place!  It should have been my nits, not Kats. Daft Apeth.