French Pharmacies

Why are french pharmacies so posh and modern? Are they privately owned

and the owners very rich? Compared with other shops they are quite

luxurious.Also very well staffed. Pat. ps Saligo I've pinched this idea

from you on another forum .

Because they are palaces of hypochondria. If you are constantly in need of medication you naturally want somewhere plush to discuss it (and your symptoms) at length with a sympa pharmacien. And of course the turnover is great enough for him to be able to provide it!

It's all to do with the fact that when you go to a French doctor you never come out with a prescription for just one type of medication. It seems to be at least four different treatments, plus others for the ailments that you never knew you had before you went in. All of these have to be supplied by somebody, hence the proliferation of, as well as opulence of, the pharmacies. And if the pharmacies are like that, how much must the drug manufacturers be making?

I'm sure the GPs must be on commission from the drug companies.

On the other hand, it could be something to do with what they charge for a packet of paracetamol.

[quote user="Will "]

On the other hand, it could be something to do with what they charge for a packet of paracetamol.

[/quote]

Which, of couse, you cannot buy off the supermarket shelves.

Liz

I must admit, it is a point I have noted before............

Even in the smallest of towns there is a plethera of pharmacies and opticians.

Are the Frech a nation of partially sighted hypochondriacs.............

Partially sighted....I don't know but hypocondriacs most certainly. One of the reasons in making people register with one doctor was to stop them trailing around all of the local surgeries to see who gave out the biggest prescription and who told them what they wanted to hear!

Benjamin

I believe in the UK the market has been de-regulated, so supermarkets can compete with pharmacies by selling and discounting over the counter medicine.

Not so in France where the pharmacies have a monopoly and are able to keep prices very high as a result. Also the range of over the counter medicine at pharmacies are far more limited in France.

There was a proposal mooted in France last year to remove the monopoly of the pharmacies, but I do not know what progress that is making. Meanwhile stock up on your Beecham Powders when visting the UK!!

I'm greeted like a VIP when I go in to our local pharmacie - well sort-of, anyway!

My wife's medication is astronomically expensive, but easy to dispense. I leave the prescription, drop by a day or two later, end of story.

But I see people having interminable discussions over the what they require and taking away (literally) carrier-bag loads of dope - hope they aren't all suppositaries!

I'm thinking of asking for a Carte de Fidelite at our local place. 

When I signed up with my (rather splendid) doctor, the neighbours warned me gloomily that he was 'no good'.  When I asked why they said that you never came away with a nice lot of medication!!

Cultural difference?

Maggi

Thank you Patf for posting about posh pharmacies. I have thought for a long time that they along with boulangeries always look very opulent even in the most rundown towns. Oops what does that say about the price of bread.

Jan

What I don't like is that access even to the over-the-counter medications is interdit to mere mortals. I like to look at the boxes, read the labels and decide for myself what to buy. But no, it's all guarded by them in white coats!

I'm surprised people find medicines in France expensive. In my experience, generic ibuprofen (Nurofen) or paracetamol is cheaper than in the UK. I think pharmacies make their money by all the other stuff they sell - the special toothpastes at four times the normal price, and the dodgy pseudo-scientific slimming pills. Actually I think it's pretty unethical to sell that stuff in a pharmacy - gives it a false air of medical respectability. And the claims on the display material are just outrageous, I don't know how they get away with it.

Also you can't just pop into the chemist in town and buy some normal toothpaste or shampoo, you have to go to the out-of-town supermarket for that.

Jo

Yes, last summer I saw in a flashy local pharmacie a stack of pills that claimed to help your child pass its exams...
Not sure how much redress you would have if the kid ploughed them all in spite of taking the stated dose!

Angela

We have 3 phamacies in our local town, we frequent one inparticular because he has free weigh scales just inside the door! anyway they have just had a major revamp and the shop was halved for a couple of weeks. Last week I went into weigh only, The Pharmacist came from behind the counter with his arm extended and a big grin on his face (at this point I looked behind me to see who he was looking at) ah Bonjour Mme XXXXXXXXX, ca va (followed by la bisse) I nearly fell over with shock, I felt like a hyprochondriac(sp)

We laughed afterwards at being on first name terms in a Chemist (I have only visited the doctor once in nearly 3 years here) I think he has Euro signs in his eyes at our youngest daughter!

He has Those helter skelter things that the drugs arrive from upstairs on, our youngest is always wide eyed at the amount of stuff that `slides` down ready to be packed away into those quality carrier bags for their eager customers .

The pharmacie in our local village (800 souls) employs 5 or 6 Pharmacistes + the owner and his wife. Think of the cost of employment in the UK, let alone over here.

Mind you, when the campsites get going (about now, actually), they'll all be in there for their 'dodgy tummy' stuff.

To be fair, they're really helpful down there. But then, so would you be, eh?

I'm sure they do. It may well be 'top-stopped', but even so, the turnover in our local place is mind-boggling. There are deliveries twice-daily (though that's probably no different to the UK) - but we are pretty rural. If I drop in my wife's prescription for a quite rare and pricey drug before 10-ish in the morning, it'll be there by 14.00. 

The pharmacist in my small village employs at least three staff at all times (all in white coats) yet doesn't seem to have much stock.  It is all oh so carefully displayed that you dare not touch it.  Worming tablets, nit shampoo, zit cream - ghastly stuff.  Who would want to be a pharmacist?