Monday-Bank-Holiday-Interesting

Yes, I have an appt. at a local clinique Monday and I called just to

make sure they are actually open (made the appt. a long time

ago).   Yes, open for business.  I was surprised.

Does that mean the banks are open too???  That would REALLY surprise me.

As a French person abroad, I find this worked day a bit of a joke!

If there is one day that should have been worked, towards this 'solidarité vieillesse' effort, it is Jeudi de l'Ascension. If there was not a more useless date in the calendar. At least on a Monday no one can do 'le pont' and not too many working days are wasted. But that Jeudi.....

From a country boasting that it is Republican and has passed a law, a century ago, that the Church should have no say inthe governance of the country, they sure have not taken the religious days out of their republican calendar! .....

[quote user="missyesbut"]

If there is one day that should have been worked, towards this 'solidarité vieillesse' effort, it is Jeudi de l'Ascension. If there was not a more useless date in the calendar. [/quote]

No, I think 15 august is even more pointless.

The whole idea is that people work one more day. they don't give their wages to the old or anything like that. Just that all the charges patronals or whatever go to the state who then can give old people more money (or that's the theory) So all it is is one less day off work in the year. It doesn't have to be whitmonday. Last year, the government decided that for all fonctionnaires it was going to be whitmonday, which meant that most other employers followed suite.

This year it's more confusing. In my town, the mayor has given the day to council employees. A cousin who works in a fonction publique in nantes has to work an extra 20 minutes a day until she had made up the time, but has the day off, parent assoctations complained that pupils are not employees so they should be made to go to school which meant that the ed nat has decided that pupils have the day of but not teachers (most schools have moved the worked day to the 5th july, first day of the summer holidays) Since pupils have the day off, their parents won't be able to go to work anyway even if their company was staying open.....

Doesn't go very far towards balancing the 35 hour week, though! 

Seriously, can anyone explain to me what happened when that rule was introduced, as we weren't here at the time.  Who is included under the 35 hour rule - is it all public service workers?  All salaried workers?  Did those who previously worked more than 35 hours and who now fell under the 35 hour rule get a corresponding wage cut at the time?  And can people who fall under the rule work more than 35 hours if they want to, or not?

Phil

Its mainly all employed people who are restrained by the 35 hour week. Any extra hours worked over that incurr extra charges e.g for us in the building we have to pay 25% extra for each hour worked upto 39hrs and over that 50% per hour all in charges to the government, hence no employers will go over the 39 as you have to declare which regime you follow to URSSAF each year and they keep an eye on the charges. Anyone who is self employed can work whatever hours he wants to. When the 35 hour week first came in many people were upset because their salaries were cut accordingly and many had mondays off and where it was supposed to create new employment posts,many bosses didn't want to know.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Missyesbut

Isn't Ascension something to do with religion?

So you'd be happy to work Christmas day then?

Benjamin
[/quote]

Yes, Ascension day is something to do with religion!

Being a lapsed good little catholic brought up girl,  I was taught that Jesus died on Good Friday, was resurected on Easter Day and on the 40th day after Easter, he ascended to heaven and sat at the right hand of his father! Ascension day is the day celebrating this fact in the church calendar.

...and Yes! I love working at Christmas! I worked in the hotel-catering industry for many years and my name was always up on the rota at Xmas as no one else wanted to be away from their family. It never worried me in the least. Only too glad that I had done a good deed to redeemed myself on such day... for that will you call me a heathen or a good christian?... 

Always had my time off instead for the New Year celebrations though! Never without fail!

Thanks for that Missyesbut. As I read "and on the 40th day" it all came flooding back as I'm a bit lapsed as well.

Do agree that Christmas can be  a bit over rated. New Year always seems so much more relaxed.

All our neighbours are having yet another day off. It just seems this year since Easter has been one continual holiday.

Benjamin

Should add that the 35-hour week is a joke for many people in professional and management grades (cadres), to whom it does not apply. They are often expected to put in very long hours; staying until 7pm is regarded as normal, not as working late. In many companies managers' workloads have increased because people who are hourly paid or on junior grades are on a strict 35 hours and so are not getting as much done anymore, or can't do overtime. So the managers have to do some of their work. In return, cadre grades get RTT (reduction de temps de travail) days to compensate them for working over 35 hours a week. The number of days RTT days off per year is negotiated within each company; some get a lot more than others. Doesn't correspond to the extra hours you actually work. Some people do very well out of it, others end up not taking the RTT.

>I just have it from our Project Manager: Monday everybody works, it's because of the "Heatwave" in 2004 when so many elderly peole died.<
Think it was 2003, 10,000 peole died and 5000 related deaths, afterwards, allegedly.

Isn't today (Mon) Pentecost, and last Thursday Ascension?

>From a country boasting that it is Republican and has passed a law, a century ago, that the Church should have no say inthe governance of the country, they sure have not taken the religious days out of their republican calendar!<

Yes!! And the wearing of conspicuous religious ornament in schools. It wasn't going to have any effect on most Catholics. Thank goodness someone (French?) knows whats going on!!

>Should add that the 35-hour week is a joke for many people in professional and management grades (cadres), to whom it does not apply. They are often expected to put in very long hours;<

Ha,ha.ha,ha,ha,ha,ha..........

Am I an ass? Answers please....!
Steve