Charente-Maritime

Dept. No:

Area:

North St. Jean D’Angely

Situation:

Hamlet

Type of property:

Gîte

Any one know whats it like there, do any of you live there.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've driven a bit round there, North of St Jean D'. That description could mean anywhere up to Niort in my experience[:)]

It's very variable in terms of scenery,   (between pretty flat, and nicely rolling) but you'd probably be within say half an hours drive of the coast. St Jean itself has a very pretty town centre, plenty of shops, bars, restos etc.

No probs.

Have you got your map? Look south of St Jean D'Angely at Saintes. 

Saintes is fab. Have you seen anywhere near there? 

Also look at Gemozac. There are three agents there who have properties near the coast. That's a very pretty area, between Gemozac and the sea, and the beaches north of Meschers are great - you can walk between them (I think there are 5) if you have no problem with multiple steps - until you get to Royan. Royan has an amazing beach, but it suffered so badly in WW2 that it's a bit ugly (1950's buildings) for the most part

just getting map out to have a look. what do you mean multiple steps. I think i saw Royan on tv the other week, well it could have been anywhere but it had all been knocked down so they had to rebuild in the 50s so im guessing its Royan really.

Steep flights of steps (maybe 50) that lead up to nice paths, which in their turn lead to the next beach. Each beach with its own little cafe/resto. ('each beach' sounds funny...[:)]  )

Royan got bombed to bits by the allies (us) as the Germans made some sort of 'last stand' there. Shame, as the old bits are very nice. It's just that there are not many of them.

It depends what you like though, of course.

That is pretty good avice eggers. Sept, October should be fine for camping,(for wimps like me) south of the Loire.

Have you considered it? Frankly two weeks in a tent would probably be a good start to divorce proceedings for us, but we aren't used to it.

Have you looked at any summer lets and asked if they do 'out of season' renting?

...or if you have a contingency plan for the first week or so, go into the Tourist Office in Royan and ask them for a list of their rental properties. By September, there are lots of place that aren't let, and the prices are much more reasonable and people are happy to do longer lets at cheaper prices.

There is no way on this earth, am i going camping[+o(]. Ditto on the divorce comment. Just got to wait for the bloke who buying are house to sign, it should be tomorrow. Getting that nervous now, half of me wants him to sign and the other half wishes he wouldnt, (is that normal)[+o(]. Oh back to renting, have made some head way, found some sights for long term renting. But could do with afew more, hint hint [Www]

Oh egger, don't you know about inter-european travel nowadays? If you book less than a month away the computers from various agencies will pick you up as being a possible 'suspect' in the war against money laundering, alchohol and tobacco smuggling and terrorism. The least you and hubby could expect would be a complete strip down at your port of exit and a grilling on your European port of entry, most often the authorities tail suspects, but don't worry, you won't know they're there!

Good luck!!

Chris

Chris are you on a wind up or is that true(ish), about the 'suspect' bit[:'(]

I realise I leave you in the invidious position in that that you may have to reveal you were winding up other posters[Www]

If that's the case please make up for it somehow[:)]

(and answer my question too)[:D]

[quote user="egger"]

No Russethouse, why should i have done? Oh god dont tell me i got to do that yet, i thought about 2 weeks before we came out.

[/quote]

It depends when you want to travel and whether you are going to use the ferry or  fly and how important cost is, or length of drive. etc

[quote user="Tresco"]   Royan got bombed to bits by the allies (us) as the Germans made some sort of 'last stand' there. Shame, .....[/quote]

Royan, very sadly, also suffered from nepam usage in a conflict in Europe. Some kind of a trial for the new chemical technology of the time......which as it worked there why not use it on say ... Vietnam ... was the thought of the great and the good that governed us at the time !!

Sorry HUGE diversion from the original thread........

Your earlier question - are there many places to let etc - Yes there are. Just go into an estate agents - immobilier - in the town you fancy and ask. Be careful not to commit yourself to a long term tenancy on the first one you see, as you're sure to see one you like better. Best to be flexible at first. Pat.

Tresco said

"Also look at Gemozac. There are three agents there who have properties near the coast. "

[Www]and there are hundreds of British residents nowadays[:(]

"That's a very pretty area, between Gemozac and the sea, and the beaches north of Meschers are great -"

Well yes, great for the Summer but if you are looking for cafe culture / shops and entertainment out of season then you would need to head for Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Cognac, Angouleme, St. Jean d'Angely, Saintes and Royan perhaps.

Can you speak enough French to take advantage of the theatres, films and concerts?

Hi. Yes, I agree with what  Snow White just wrote. We have places in the area Tresco describes, beautiful -but maybe for all year round living a Town would be best. Whatever floats your boat- I know many people who live here full time and they love it but it can get very quiet in winter ![;-)]

well he did sign but didnt exchange, how i am beginning to hate that man, will try to find out whats happening tomorrow[:(].  You see i cannot book anything untill he exchanges on our house, unless i just take a chance. I didnt know estate agents did long term renting, got afew of their web sites (good point about not renting for too long). When i said cafe i ment just one cafe, bakers and pub thats all, would hate living in a town.

Have done car break down today with euro cover, not to expensive. Went on to Brittany ferries, got price, and found out about our dog,(see i am doing stuff).[:D]

Oh and erm, erm brought tomtom 910, well it looked really good, what can i say i love gadgets.[Www]

Just had a thought[I], must still want to come over, if i didnt, why am i sad about him not exchangeing for the house.

"When i said cafe i ment just one cafe, bakers and pub thats all, would hate living in a town."

Well, out of town the cafes are far and few between. Some near the beaches are just for holiday makers but they will often close during the winter months. The pub culture is also rare and bars in villages and even small towns in rural France they often close at 8 p.m. when everyone returns home for dinner and anight in front of the T.V.

Women in bars can be a bit of a "no, no" as well. The culture is just different.

I think you really need to get to France, rent for a while and see what it's really like especially out of season. Don't burn your boats too quickly.

Hmm.  I thought about egger alone in a cafe the other day....  Around here, she might just as well have 'Pute' printed on her forehead.

Brittany Ferries are the original Pirates.  There are a lot of other companies very much cheaper.  You are in no rush...you are on an adventure.  Speedferries.  Transmanche.  The one to Le Havre.  P&O wash my mouth out.  Seafrance.  Tunnel.  Rowing boat....

Just noticed...here, the cafe IS the bar.  You buy your coffee in the pub so to speak.  Rarely different buildings.  Open at seven in the morning until seven at night.  Buy your bread there too if it is a depot de pain.  It sounds so exciting I wish I was just coming over and not used to all this.  I'm blasé now.[;-)]