Taxe d'habitation

paul1812

Dear fellow forum contributors and experts

We are in the process of buying a house in the Cognac area of France. The house is in a hamlet and is classed as a farm house with no taxe d’habitation payed by the previous owner.

My question is: "do we have to apply for a change of use" and how and to whom do we apply?

Kind regards

Paul

The previous owners probably did not pay d'habitation as their income was low, not because it was exempt.  You still pay tax d'habitation on a famhouse.  Don't worry, when you buy the house and declare your income to the French in 2006,  they will soon send you a bill, ......  or not.  I have been here threee years and not had one yet, asked at the Impots Office and they said "Don't worry about it,

Their age too would have been a factor if they were 65 or over as they would have been exempt especially with a low income as well. You will have to pay sometime,new ownership details are sent automatically to the local Trésor Public who will then either write to you to confirm habitation and personal details or  just estimate what you will be paying, in any case it won't be a great deal if it is inthe country and not a huge huge place.

The last owner of our house was a widow and she didn't pay Tax d'hab. Like Ron we've been here three years and haven't had a bill yet. I went to the local office and to the prefecture last year and said I wanted to pay and they said" Why?" But expecting a bill soon - I hope not triple. Pat.

We have recieved our first tax fonciere and have yet to recieve the tax habitation can anyone tell me if the habit tax is more or less than the fonciere so I can budget accordingly   And is like a pole tax as there are three people living including my mum who is over 65   thanks a lot

[quote]I believe the taxe d'habitation is based upon the rental value (as a residence) of a dwelling. Type in "taxe d'habitation" in Google or another search engine and you should get links to a lot of info...[/quote]

Isn't Td'H based on the declaration of the property on the H1 form ie: how many rooms, surface habitable, how many bathrooms, sinks, toilets, pool, terrace etc etc.

I don't know your personal circumstances, but if it is unlikely that you will be drawing on an income you may be able to register as a pauper (regardless of your paper wealth), thereby avoiding half of the tax.

Stewart

www.maisonplan.com

www.gite-les-roches.com

[quote]I don't know your personal circumstances, but if it is unlikely that you will be drawing on an income you may be able to register as a pauper (regardless of your paper wealth), thereby avoiding half o...[/quote]

"but if it is unlikely that you will be drawing on an income you may be able to register as a pauper (regardless of your paper wealth), thereby avoiding half of the tax"  What ???

Stewart, this a new one on me, where did you read or hear this? 

Possible "exonerations" from this tax, very rough translation
people who are exempt are:

People on low incomes, those over 60 years, widowers and widows not paying income tax, the recipients of the special allowance of the mutual aid funds for the elderly and the holders of the handicapped "adult" allowance.

So if you are a pensioner or on low income or handicapped,  you pay NOTHING 

BUT if you do not declare any income your Southfork sized house and olympic sized pool may attract some attention from the authorities