nearest proper snow

Lemage

Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this request but would like to ask your advice. we have a house in 61 (orne) and are hoping to take the children to see 'proper' snow in Feb half term but we have looked on a map and cannot decide whereabouts is the nearest or easiest place to get to. We are only going for two or three days and will not be skiing but would like access to tobogganing etc just for the children (they are 9 and 7). In your opinions is it easier to travel from  the UK to the snow then on to our house or is it more direct to go to our house then on to the snow?

I hope this doesn't seem like too silly a request but as we have no experience of ski ing or the relevant resorts  and other than sticking a pin in a map of France I'm really not sure where to start.

thankyou so much for taking the time to read this ,I look forward to getting your responses

It's a "bit length of piece of string ish". Do you plan to drive, train or plane? The Vosges near strasbourg may be about the nearest for a drive, but if it's plane or train, then a trip to the Chambery area would probably be just as easy. Do you want to stay in a resort (so that they get up and walk out onto the snow or are you happy to stay in teh valley have have a travel round, seeing bit's of snow as you go? How much is money an issue? Which ever, you don't need to book into a Big Expensive resort of you are not doing epic ski runs, so find a small quaint place and enjoy. If going from UK, then Andora is supposed to be cheap, but I understand that it's not quaint.

[quote user="JohnM"]

It's a "bit length of piece of string ish". Do you plan to drive, train or plane? The Vosges near strasbourg may be about the nearest for a drive, but if it's plane or train, then a trip to the Chambery area would probably be just as easy. Do you want to stay in a resort (so that they get up and walk out onto the snow or are you happy to stay in teh valley have have a travel round, seeing bit's of snow as you go? How much is money an issue? Which ever, you don't need to book into a Big Expensive resort of you are not doing epic ski runs, so find a small quaint place and enjoy. If going from UK, then Andora is supposed to be cheap, but I understand that it's not quaint.

[/quote]

Quaint would never be a word one would associate with Andorra.  Ugly, perhaps, but not quaint.  However, I do understand that the skiiing is great as long as you're not looking for picturesque.

PG

The 'boys' (OH also) have for the last four years been to Pas de la Casa (not quaint but apparantly good food and apres ski) and Axe les Thermes.  Planning on Axe again this year - easy access to the slopes and reasonable restos in the town.  Seems there are packages to be had, if not Carca airport and the drive.  A reasonable road but be prepared to use chains if not in a 4 x 4.

thankyou to you all for your replies.I'm sorry that my original post was so vague. we will be driving and whilst it would be nice to be in a resort as we will only be there for a few days it isn't essential. Cost unfortunately is as always an issue- the cheapest option would be great as all spare euros are being spent on plasterboard and insulation at the moment. Thanks again for all of your help                                    kind regards Nikki

People in my bit of western France always seem to head for the Pyrenees, and it might be the easiest to get to from the Orne.

I went skiing there once, to a place called La Mongie. It wasn't specially picturesque, but nearby Bagneres-de-Luchon was more attractive.

Angela

What about the massif centrale? Closer than the alps (we are in la Mayenne) and has some low-key ski resorts, which will also cater for cross-country skiing. Haven't been there but have looked at it in brochures and internet. I would avoid the big ski resorts - in most it's difficult to access more than a tiny strip of snow if you're not skiing.

Have fun

Jo

My advice is get yourself down to Grenoble and then go to Lans en Vercours.  You can take the kids skiing and sledging for as little as 10 Euros a day.  You can also pique-nique.  The snow is great. Literally you can park your car at the foot of the slope, there is even a travelator (moving carpet) for those who do not fancy the drag lifts!  You can then drive back down in to Grenoble (30mins) and stay at one of the very cheap city centre hotels and eat in their fabulous restaurants for just a few euros. 

Lans en Vercours is a french secret! So dont tell anyone about it.

Deby

hi all                 thankyou so much for all of your advice, I can see that I will need to settle down with the AA route planner and pick the nearest option, many thanks to all of who took the time to reply kind regards  Nikki x