Whatever happened to....

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Russethouse"]

>>Can you tell, RH?  Because I know someone who I am sure was using two IDs on this forum a couple of days ago when posting a load of brollocks in support of himself under another identity.<<<

Hmmm - I think I know who you mean, I did check that out and the evidence was rendered inconclusive! [;-)][;-)]

[/quote]

Are you sure you mean that? Hah! Forum mods tampering with the evidence. Don't tell Dick...

So what's wrong with being an old timer?

Incidentally, going back a few pages, we are still in touch occasionally with Deards, who is back into painting, but down south now, and we also see Maggie Mortimer (for those who remember her - she left this forum of her own accord in response to what she saw as random censorship and deletions by the moderators: I can't imagine what she means).

What really is sweet is the way that people here name themselves after our cats. I've mentioned Miki and Twinkle before but since then Cassis has entered the fray. It does get confusing though because I never know whether we are talking about a male sausage, a feline tortoiseshell, or a small red fruit.

[quote user="Will "]

....then Cassis has entered the fray. It does

get confusing though because I never know whether we are talking about

a male sausage, a feline tortoiseshell, or a small red fruit.

[/quote]

It depends which bit you're thinking about, and whether he's making any sense at the time, I suppose.

And where's Viv at the mo?

Around May 2000 I think.  I know it was May and it wasn't too long after we bought our house (Aug 1999) so presumably it wasn't 2001.

Coco was originally a little brown burmese too.  Someone once thought I had named myself after Ms Chanel, but I wouldn't presume to be so chic and sophisticated, more short and cuddly[;-)]

>>(for those who remember her - she left this forum of her own accord in response to what she saw as random censorship and deletions by the moderators: I can't imagine what she means<<

You are a cheeky devil Will [;-)][;-)] - you were a mod then too[:)]

I think James said the forum has been going 7 years.......

[quote user="Coco"]   Around May 2000 I think.  I know it was May and it wasn't too long after we bought our house (Nov 1999) so presumably it wasn't 2001........  [/quote]

I remember a forum in the late 90's (anything between 1997 to 2000. It is so foggy so far back in the past.....) which had to do with this magazine. I did go on it a few time - not as Missy - but lost interest amongst all the postings about 'fosse septique' and questions to the 'Marie' and the notaire........ so possibly that forum got re-jigged in to what we have now?....... 

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I think James said the forum has been going 7 years.......

[/quote]

In that case it must have been May 2000.  It was definitely AFTER I bought my house and I remember that LF announced that a forum would be "coming soon" and I think, though can't be certain, that they even offered to email you to let you know when it had actually been set up, as at that time they had just a very basic website.  But about 7 years is near enough![:D]

[quote user="Will "]...we also see Maggie Mortimer (for those who remember her - she left this forum of her own accord in response to what she saw as random censorship and deletions by the moderators: I can't imagine what she means).

[/quote]

I know exactly what she means, Will. [blink] I left another French forum several years ago after the owner edited one of my posts at the request of another member and I didn't find out till later. I didn't use the forum again after that. Oh what was it's name... yeah... it all comes back to me... vienormande. [6]

[quote user="Will "]...but since then Cassis has entered the fray. It does get confusing though because I never know whether we are talking about a male sausage, a feline tortoiseshell, or a small red fruit.[/quote]

[8-)] You mean he may not be a small red fruit... [:-))]

Your memory is far better than mine, Catalpa... I can't imagine what you must have said that caused another user to demand a change. I can remember something similar happening here though.

On the other hand, Cassis might be a liqueur from Dijon.

I joined early in 2000 and remember Rogs, Punch, Maggiem, coco and Will the Conquerer plus some who have (thank goodness) departed this forum.  I didn't post much but asked for and received very valuable advice.  Punch and I had a 'spat' with a well known poster so we kept out of the way for a while.  I only post now to (hopefully) give advice on subjects I am familier with, as there are many who will jump down your throat if they don't agree.  My username has never changed, though like all, I lost my posting record when the new software was implemented.  This forum is a valuable tool for those needing help and info on France and though I returned to the UK I still visit on occasion.

Many thanks for all the help I received when I needed it.

Oh yes, Catalpa, I remember it now. As you say, absolutely appalling behaviour, and I hope you remain suitably repentant. I'm sure I do. [;-)]

God, those cats. More bother than they are worth. The incident I remember here was vaguely cat-related too (at least as far as one user identity went), and then there's that other forum where any mention of cat rescue gets deleted immediately.

I must have joined in 2000 as a search of old e-mails shows that my account was deleted in February 2001 and I had to re-register as the software had been updated. I originally had a space in my user name and at some point the system stopped allowing that and I had to re-register as "alane" which I've never liked much. Maybe now is the time to change it. I had a lot of help from a number of people particularly Mazan. As I recall the forum was much wilder in those days with long spats running over several days being quite commonplace. There were regular arguments over whether the forum was "cliquey" which seemed to generate more heat than light.