Passport photographs

chrisb

Has anyone else had problems with photos for passport renewals?

We both wear glasses and over the years have never had any problem with passport photos. This time however they have been rejected on the basis that they are not suitable for use by the forthcoming face scanning at airports. Our eyes are quite clearly visible in the photos but this evidently is not good enough any more.

So we've had to have them redone without glasses - despite that fact that this means we'll have to take them off and squint at the machines when they appear.

Looking at the leaflet they use to show what's acceptable I'm convinced that the one showing a glasses wearer has got specs with no lenses in!

Don't rely on a professional photographer always getting it right.  When I last got a passport, the lady in front of me had the pictures of her whole family rejected as the background was not white but the palest of pale blues.  They wouldn't have it!

What happens if you have a glass eye?  That must confuse the biometric software into thinking you're a Borg!

My son's first photos were rejected last April when the new biometric came in the week before we applied to renew his passport. They insisted he opened his eyes as wide as possible, almost wild looking so they could get a good image of his eyes. I would suggest glasses wearers take them off, after all, you can easily slip them off if stopped and questioned can't you?

[quote user="Val_2"]My son's first photos were rejected last April when the new biometric came in the week before we applied to renew his passport. They insisted he opened his eyes as wide as possible, almost wild looking so they could get a good image of his eyes. I would suggest glasses wearers take them off, after all, you can easily slip them off if stopped and questioned can't you?[/quote]

I wouldn't be able to see the questioner if I did that - I can't see my hand in front of my face without my specs!!

[:)]LOL Mayennaise, I don't think that these people bob up and down or jump to one side just because you take your specs off. You just look them straight in the eye and remove your specs keeping your look in the same place. IF they move, then that is their problem.

Interesting about the photos , I'm just in the process of downloading the forms for a replacement passport after mine was stolen yesterday. I'm wondering how my French doctor is going to write the following on the back of my photo " I certify that this is a true likeness of .............................then sign AND date it - all on a photo 45mm x 35mm !! 

Punch you don't have to. As you are replacing they already have your details and there is no requirement for the photos to be signed, Quillan mentioned this too.

Incidentally did the gendarmes let you do a declaration de perte for the Carte de Sejour. Our local gendamerie refused as the titre de sejour is no longer obiligory. This didn't suite us at all and our Mairie did one for us.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

Punch he doesn't have to. As you are replacing they already have your details and there is no requirement for the photos to be signed, Quillan mentioned this too.

Incidentally did the gendarmes let you do a declaration de perte for the Carte de Sejour. Our local gendamerie refused as the titre de sejour is no longer obiligory. This didn't suite us at all and our Mairie did one for us.

[/quote]

Hi Teamedup,

A lady from the Consulate range me back this morning to say that it would be better to get signed photos done again as they may reject the application, although she said the original of my birth certificate and a covering letter may suffice. I'm not sure which is better to be honest? Risk losing the original of the BC or waiting to see the quack ?? If I go by the book then the phtos seem necessary. Any ideas what would be the best option?

The Commisariate de Police were less than helpful yesterday but the Process verbal mentions the loss of carte de sejour. I also went to the Prefecture yesterday to apply for replacement CdS and of course they said it wasn't necessary and they don't issue them anymore. I pressed on explaining my reasons why I wanted a French style ID carte and they reluctantly admitted that they still have to issue them if they are specifically asked for. Often when I am asked for two pieces of ID here in France, I feel more French handing over a Permis de conduire and a CdeS than my Uk passport - besides the CdeG is a handy size too to carry around.

Problem is we are snowed in today and can't get back to Prefecture to see the same lady - and strike whilst the iron's hot - sods law will mean I'll get the other old bat next time who talks loudly at any expat as if they are stupid and can't understand simple words.

Really, my husband didn't have his photos signed this time, the first time ever he hasn't and we had to go into Durham office as we were back when his ran out. In Paris they sort of 'know' us don't they, that is why I would have thought that they wouldn't have asked for them.

Bad luck all this, did you ever take out one of those insurances against card fraud and theft?