What is it like returning to the UK ?

Deimos

[8-)]                                 TU pointing the finger

Now this is addressed to you Dave, yes I addressed one paragraph to you. Not pointing a finger, just commenting on your comments about your life in the UK. I couldn't address my comments about what 'you' said about your life to anyone else, could I.

AND then I put a line and made a general post about France and not paysan land, which  in all unfairness to all expats on here is where I think that 97% of you live. I know that there is poverty in paysan land too. I even know that all the vices exist in paysan land, but are probably far far worse in populated areas.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you lot have got some staying power!

My husband and son and dog are still in France, and I miss them, but so far I'm not missing anything else.  The weekend here was grey and rainy, and they phoned to say they'd had lunch outdoors and it was lovely and sunny, and I felt not even the merest twinge of envy.    

I'm not so dependent on wine that its higher price here makes any difference to me, and to be honest, I've enjoyed the non-French wine I've had here much more than I was enjoying French wine in France.

I may well still be in denial, of course.  [:)]   Or on drugs.   Maybe someone is injecting me in my sleep (am I allowed to say that?).   A Francophile here mentioned La Fete de la Musique, and even that didn't titillate me.   One day a year?    I can have music every night of the year here!    Last night I was the only fiddler, surrounded, by a strange yet simple twist of fate, by FIVE accordions.  [blink]    Heaven!  [:D]    You can never have too many accordions, that's what I always say.   

Certainly a lot less graffiti here in this part of Englandshire than in my part of France.  Over there it's on everything that doesn't move.

Funny old world, eh?   Stay happy, y'all.  [:)]   xxxxxxx

i agree with you on one and ONLY one point.  i have not found a french wine to compare with the wines i drink from the new world!  i feel a bit embarrassed to say this because our place in france is about 50 km from bordeaux.  does that make me a philistine?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

i agree with you on one and ONLY one point.  i have not found a french wine to compare with the wines i drink from the new world!  i feel a bit embarrassed to say this because our place in france is about 50 km from bordeaux.  does that make me a philistine?

[/quote]I had a spell like that a few years ago,preaching to my family, well you know what you are getting with a bottle of Hardys Shiraz,they are consistant,what more do you want.However, I have stopped drinking them the last couple of years unless I am at friends and thats all they have.To me there is still nothing like a decent bottle of french wine,I pay more for a bottle in France now,one good one instead of three cheap ones,I will get slaughtered for this by the wine experts, but I always go for 13% because I do like a strong wine,I prefer the Beaunes to the Bordeauxs but that is just my taste.There are always lovely suprises with french wine as so much depends on the year and thats what creates the interest for me.If you live near Bordeaux, have a tour of the vinyards I am sure you will find some excellent wines.

I am not sure you can make valid comparisons, because there is such huge variation between different areas of the UK and France.

For example, someone returning to visit rural Cornwall would presumably have a totally different perspective to someone returning to a big city such asManchester?

verviale

thanks for the tip.  i must admit we had a beaune at a restraurant near mayenne (it being their house red) and it did taste lovely

i keep meaning to do it, but i always forget and that is to make a note of all the wines i do like and try and find them for myself

cheers, verviale.  i too like a strong wine; otherwise it's like drinking low- or non-alcoholic beers.  might as well not bother

[quote user="Sprogster"]

I am not sure you can make valid comparisons, because there is such huge variation between different areas of the UK and France.

For example, someone returning to visit rural Cornwall would presumably have a totally different perspective to someone returning to a big city such asManchester?

[/quote]

Where I live, on the south coast of Devon, we do in fact get our fair share of murders and other crimes, such as drug trafficking (big time), muggings, shoplifting, fraud etc..  The local newspapers are full of it.  It obviously isn't as concentrated or rife as in certain areas of big cities, but it happens regularly enough.  I feel lucky to live in a beautiful part of the country, but I think what draws a lot of people to France is that many of the beautiful, rural parts of France don't have the crime rate experienced here.  Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm probably still wearing the Rose Tinted Specs ! [:D]

I will add that the only time I've felt a little unsafe in France was in Rouen (sorry Fluffy, I know you like the place).  Walking through the cathedral gardens one evening we were very unerved by the groups of sinister looking young men hanging around, and we almost broke into a trot !

Fluff, if you are going to take the character name of one of my favourite actors could you at least have a pic of him as your avi ?

By the way, it was me wearing the Hoody - maybe I was scaring them [:-))]

[quote user="Pip"]

No, you are still a kitten Jean-Luc.[:(]

[/quote]

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh no he's not, he has changed into the gorgeous Jean-Luc.  Better than a one-eyed kitten ANY day.   Or am I just imagining lovely things through my Happiness Haze?   

Great photo Jay Jay !  Is that really you ??  Can't say any of the nun's I worked with looked like that ! 

Albert, every Thursday at the convent, the nun's were allowed to wear civilian clothes and remove their veils.  I never got used to it and the older ones never entertained it !

Will, I now see you in a different light [:-))]