Adopting French words.........

mint

[quote user="tj"]Once the foreign language becomes the predominent one, the brain will in simple terms, begin switching over, this is when we find ourselves mixing the languages as we speak, all perfectly normal. As the brain switches over, it becomes less and less dependent on the native language and gradually, and unconciously you enter the phase where the brain actually starts to think in the new language.

It follows, that with extended isolation from the native, you will lose the ability of that language, but we are talking a long time.[/quote]

Really interesting.

My Grandmother was Dutch and married my (English) Grandfather in 1919 (he had been interned in Holland as a POW during WW1).  She hardly knew a word of English when she came over in that year to marry him.

I am vaguely aware that whenever she returned to Holland to visit relatives some 50yrs later, she could barely understand them when they spoke to her in Dutch.  She still had an accent though and still counted her knitting stitches in Dutch!! 

I believe that counting is one of the verbal activities that is carried on in the native tongue long after competence has been acquired in speech and writing in the "foreign" language.

Went to University with a German girl who was on the same (English) degree course as I was, spoke and write English prefectly well but she'd always count in German!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I believe that counting is one of the verbal activities that is carried on in the native tongue long after competence has been acquired in speech and writing in the "foreign" language.

Went to University with a German girl who was on the same (English) degree course as I was, spoke and write English prefectly well but she'd always count in German!

[/quote]

I would agree with this.  I never count in English and have a definite problem with French numbers. 

Another activity carried on in the native tongue is "speaking" to babies - it just doesn't feel right to do all those silly baby talk in a language other than your own. 

Plus, the noises that animals are supposed to make always sound a bit ridiculous in other languages, but sound perfect in one's own!

DZ

Reading your post has put me in mind of swearing.  No, no, I don't mean that you make me want to  swear![:D]  What I mean is, I have always found it easier to swear in other people's language than my own (not that I swear a lot, honest)!  It's just that swearing in your own native tongue sounds so horrible!

[quote user="tj"]

and unconciously you enter the phase where the brain actually starts to think in the new language.

It follows, that with extended isolation from the native, you will lose the ability of that language, but we are talking a long time. 

[/quote]

In my case a little over 2 years of "proper" isolation, I really struggle to express myself in English now and have to resort to more and more basic speech as I just cant find the proper words and expressions that I used to use.

En revanche my French is getting better and better, I wonder if I will be aware of when I reach the cross over point?

I do wonder whether what tj has described so well still holds true.  In these days of multimedia and the internet and the dominance of English worldwide, is it still possible to "forget" English?  I am merely posing a question.  I don't know, I've only been in France a few months and I speak English with the OH, except when I am helping him with his French!

Coming over later in the week, for one week (heaven!) and we shall see our dear friends. He is an avocat, honaire retired and was originally a leading UK solicitor. His written, spoken and comprehended French is totrally fluent: had to be to pass the exam and read and define the civil code!

However he speaks, writes and comprehends English still fluently even after many years in France.

Additionally, he writes copiously in both languages, on various topics, including politics and current affairs.

I'll ask him which language he counts in!

In my experience, the mother tongue will always be the dominant language for life,  I have friends who are multi-lingual i.e at least 4 main languages, a language spoken at home, a language spoken at school, a national language and maybe a language learned.  The mother tongue could either be a language spoken at home or school. Depending on the subject i.e a family discussion or something learned at school the language used for that subject would take precedent. For example one friend comes from Curacao, her family dialect is Papiement, she learned Dutch at school, the national language is Spanish and she studied English & German.  She is married to an Anglo/Dutch guy and they speak dutch together interspersed with english. They live in the UK, but she would say her mother tongue is Papiement.

When in France if I have a conversation in french with someone I stumble or hesitate a little to repeat back the same conversation in English.  My husband whose french skills are far superior to mine doesnt seem to be so affected by this problem. Could be a male/female brain issue or it could just be him :-)

I often wondered why the french looked at me so strangely when I am speaking french to them. My husband then pointed out to me that halfway through the conversation I'd thrown in a couple of sentences of Norwegian!
My mother is Norwegian & father is English and I took French & German at school. I think my brain thinks that my second language should be Norwegian & not french & so I lapse into Norwegian when speaking french - and let me tell you that there aren't many french people in the Manche Dept who understand Norwegian!!!

Jackie
Northumberland/Manche
Who is suffering from more & more blonde & senior moments!!

Very interesting thread..

I tend to use some English words when speaking to some friends sometimes, but that s probably because most of my French friends are teachers of English ! You know, when the word has no real equivalent in French, or is just easier, or just comes to your mind in English.. dunno why really ..  oerr...Can't think of a precise example right now, but will post if I find one later..

I may be influenced by the fact that, even if being French,  I speak English a lot, in my job and also in my private life.