Smoking ban in a few weeks in restaurants, cafés and so on

[quote user="londoneye"]

Sorry Quillan but thats so funny (not for your daughter of course).   The idea that a non-smoker now won't go in a pub because they have to walk past the smokers.     No pleasing some is there.   Or is she being harassed by the blokes hanging around outside, thats a different story and the pub needs to control it if its the case.

[/quote]

No it's not the blokes (it's a 50/50 split between men and women I believe). It's the walking through massive clouds of smoke she objects to. When she comes to visit, her mother and I have to smoke outside else she goes round the house waving her hands to disperse the smoke. Actually she looks quite funny so some times I have a sneaky fag first thing just to sit in amusement watching her. I know it's being rotten but sometimes I just can't help it. [6] [;-)]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Bugbear"]Anyone remember the Two Ronnies 'superior class' sketch with John Cleese........................[:)][/quote]

The bit I like best is when little Ronnie says, "I know my place!"  Alas, nobody knows their place any more and anarchy is nowadays RIFE (hey, just a joke, so no need to jump on me, OK?)

[quote user="Quillan"]

My daughter, who hates smoking with a vengeance, does not go to the pub anymore because she does not like to have to run the gauntlet of the smokers in front of the entrance.

[/quote]

So before, without the cloud of smoke outside she would happily enter and endure the cloud of smoke inside ? (remembering of course that when outside the cloud will disperse but inside it will be a lot more contained and probably worse for a non-smoker).

Ian

[quote user="Frenchie"]

So sweet 17 we are rivals now ?? [:@]

[:D]

[/quote]

Not at all, Frenchie.  You have first claim because you were SO brave and you declared your love tout de suite without hanging about.  Me, NOT being French malhereusement was a bit reticent and so I have lost him to you, OK?

I wonder why cigarette smoke should be banned and yet alcohol, and the obnoxious effects of it's over consumption, goes without any prohibition whatsoever. I have seen what alcohol does to people and families...I would prefer to live with a fag addict than an alcoholic anyday.

No doubt the govt will continue to revel in the taxes incurred from those buying smokes though. Why not ban the sale of the bloody things altogether if they are really serious!

[quote user="Deimos"][quote user="Quillan"]

My daughter, who hates smoking with a vengeance, does not go to the pub anymore because she does not like to have to run the gauntlet of the smokers in front of the entrance.

[/quote]

So before, without the cloud of smoke outside she would happily enter and endure the cloud of smoke inside ? (remembering of course that when outside the cloud will disperse but inside it will be a lot more contained and probably worse for a non-smoker).

Ian
[/quote]

Hey she is my daughter, that does not mean I understand her or her logic, I just pay the bills [;-)]

One of the issues now coming to the fore is the increase in violent assaults on women smoking outside pubs and clubs.  Once clubbers are outside the door of the club / pub they are no the responsibility of the bouncers and doormen.   As a result female smokers (and in one case a young male smoker) have become the target of violent assaults etc by groups of alcohol fuelled clubbers.  I, for one, would be very uncomfortable about my daughter having to stand outside a club on her own in the early hours to have a cigarette.  Fortunately my children don't smoke - but a number of my friends have daughters in this situation. 

Regarding Jura's post -

This argument has been used before.  Yes, alcohol addiction is a terrible thing for the individual and for his/her family.  However, an evening spent with an alcoholic does not mean you and your clothes stink of alcohol the next day.  Nor does it mean your health is affected by "passive drinking".

It is the extreme unpleasantness of spending time in a smoke-filled area which I have always hated.  At least with the ban in place, eating out is much more enjoyable.  [:)]

[quote user="Thibault"]

However, an evening spent with an alcoholic does not mean you and your clothes stink of alcohol the next day.  Nor does it mean your health is affected by "passive drinking".

[/quote]

True, but your health might be affected by the ever increasing violence accompanying the excessive drinking.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"][quote user="Thibault"]

However, an evening spent with an alcoholic does not mean you and your clothes stink of alcohol the next day.  Nor does it mean your health is affected by "passive drinking".

[/quote]

True, but your health might be affected by the ever increasing violence accompanying the excessive drinking.

Ian
[/quote]

Perhaps I've been lucky, Ian.  I have experienced passive smoking and also the smelly clothes and hair, but haven't been affected by alcohol-fuelled violence (nor any sort of violence, come to that).  One can steer clear of the troublesome drunk in the corner of the bar, but cannot escape the smoke and fumes.[:-))]

[quote user="Thibault"][quote user="Deimos"][quote user="Thibault"]

[/quote]

Ian
[/quote]

Perhaps I've been lucky, Ian.  I have experienced passive smoking and also the smelly clothes and hair, but haven't been affected by alcohol-fuelled violence (nor any sort of violence, come to that).  One can steer clear of the troublesome drunk in the corner of the bar, but cannot escape the smoke and fumes.[:-))]

[/quote]

Yes you can, just don't go in the place.