Blutack

Yes, but it's not called that here.......well, of course not!

It's not blue but yellow and can be found beside the adhesive tape (you'll notice I'm not calling it Sellotape.... I really have been here too long you know!)

It's made by 3M and for the life of me I can't remember what it says on the packet. I hope this helps, forgive me if it doesn't really.

Good luck on your search,

Aly

You can get white bluetack here too. It looks like they're pads but they're not - they are little squares of french bluetack. 

Why don't you just stick a ball of chewing gum in it?   The cable I mean.........

Sorry if I've confused things[:D]

Anton my friend,

Stick with the gear circa 1969 and everyone will think you are a real hip trendsetter, in fact David Beckham will start to copy your style!   Is it not the case that if you hang onto stuff for long enough, it will come back in fashion?   Thats what I tell the OH as he complains about the stuff I want moved out to France that I cannot bear to let go of [blink]

Thanks everybody it is the right stuff. Still having trouble with the cable springing out. Read rest of thread and feel I may be failing sanity testing. Must go a couple of delivery men have arrived with a nice white canvas jacket with tasteful leather straps looks like I am heading toward the early 70s at last.