Franco-British stereotypes?

Will

I have been blessed (or perhaps cursed) with a very good sense of smell. [blink].  I can only speak from my experience but I haven't ever had to avoid someone in a supermarket in the UK due to disgustingly smelly armpits but I find this a common occurrence when I am in France, particularly amongst French women in the summer.  I wondered whether they just didn't use antiperspirant/deodorant but it seems there's a full range available for sale. 

Last summer at the local annual beanfeast my entire meal was ruined by the extremely gamey smell of a woman (complete with masses of facial hair and grease) - she was sitting several places away from me but the scent was absolutely overwhelming and I felt quite sick.  In my opinion it is extremely rude to go out stinking - not very considerate to one's fellow human beings! 

I would just like to point out that all this happens in rural Normandie - so things might be different in the more developed areas of la belle France!

Stereotypes?  It seems to me that there is often a grain of truth in these things - that's how they develop.  Please let's not be too PC - about this.  Vive la difference I say!  (and don't forget to spray under your armpits - after all we have a reputation to keep up!).

Pix

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Pixie Toadstool"]

I haven't ever had to avoid someone in a supermarket in the UK due to disgustingly smelly armpits but I find this a common occurrence when I am in France, particularly amongst French women in the summer. 
[/quote]

You see everybody, it IS true what they say.....I did try to tell you!!![:D]

French women may wash their crotch, (with all these bidets,  they learn to do this at a very tender age) but they do not shave their armpits because it is supposed to be so sexy....and  the result is a mass of body hair, with glistening beads of sweat all tangled up and fermenting away...[:P]

So what are the stereotypes that french people have of  british  people? Come on you frenchies, be honest. Actually I do know one - that we can't cook. I remember that one caused an upset on this forum once and a certain person resigned their membership.

Don't want to hurt anybody and let me first say I don't believe in these stereotypes, I wouldn't have an English partner if I did !

The French say the English are eccentric. That it s a shame they didn't accept the euro, that they do everything the other way round .. LOL 

I confess... I hang my head in shame and embarrassment...

I am French and I have not had a bath in years...[:'(] I do not use antiperspirant either [:'(]... Occasionally, my armpits are not as smooth as a baby's bottom [:'(]... I do not hang my smalls (nor my larges) out to prove I wash them, which certainly means I never change them or wash them... [:'(] I never use bar soap either and I use eau de toilette, and that must mean I never wash and try to hide the smell...[:'(]

Will I ever be forgiven??? [:'(]

[quote user="Just Katie"]Hey you two, I bet you even hang your duvets out of your bedroom windows............................OUI Madame !! what a strange lot you are.  ALL of you, you are ALL the same.[:D][/quote]

And you drive onthe WRONG side of the road!! [:P]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

[quote user="Just Katie"]Hey you two, I bet you even hang your duvets out of your bedroom windows............................OUI Madame !! what a strange lot you are.  ALL of you, you are ALL the same.[:D][/quote]

And you drive onthe WRONG side of the road!! [:P]

[/quote]#

Yes Frenchie, Us,  Australia, New Zealand, Figi, Singapore, Hong Kong and all these lot [:D]     http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=678301

The French drink chocolate for breakfast and coffee late at night........Now I ask you, where is the sense in that?

The worst smell in the world is deodorant anti perspirant and aftershave. Much much worse than natural smells IMHO. I loathe perfums which make me sneeze and get all snotty. People seem to use it with no thought whatsoever to quantity or discretion. I am often in hotels because of my job and lifts stink of these products especially in the mornings. Ugh.

Most  deodorants on the market are not only allergenic for some people, but there is mounting evidence that they are actually harmful, being remarkably unregulated products with  many toxic substances

http://www.dyingtolookgood.com/

Now, that does not mean that one cannot use anything to discourage B.O.

You can find some hypoallergenic, crystal-based deodorant sticks which are not only completely natural (being made of some rock or stone) but they are also very economical. Even my (previously smelly) husband uses one now, and it works a treat.

(I swear the above is not an advertisement[:D])

[quote user="5-element"]You can find some hypoallergenic, crystal-based deodorant sticks which are not only completely natural (being made of some rock or stone) but they are also very economical. Even my (previously smelly) husband uses one now, and it works a treat.

(I swear the above is not an advertisement[:D])

[/quote]

I use them too, but I am very confused now... Does I mean I am not French?[8-)][blink][Www]

By using deodorants we are masking our natural musk/pheromones which whilst they may be repulsive to the majority, someone somewhere will either like it or critically not notice it.

It is natures way of strengthening the gene pool as the offsprings of these whiffy partnerships will have a stronger natural resistance to certain diseases than either of their parents.

Mind you if I am right then our obsession with smelling like a perfume shop and interfering with natures bio-diversity of pongs is probably also natures way of tackling our overpopulation!

Editted

I have spent a lot of time in hospital (France) over the last 7 months and had the time to indulge myself in the study of the nurses!

The prettiest nurse who was always immaculately dressed (she even tailored her uniforms which were designed to hide rather than flatter the feminine form) and with flawless make up, smelt like a ripe camembert[:P]

[quote user="J.R."]

By using deodorants we are masking our natural musk/pheromones which whilst they may be repulsive to the majority, someone somewhere will either like it or critically not notice it.

It is natures way of strengthening the gene pool as the offsprings of these whiffy partnerships will have a stronger natural resistance to certain diseases than either of their parents.

Mind you if I am right then our obsession with smelling like a perfume shop and interfering with natures bio-diversity of pongs is probably also natures way of tackling our overpopulation!

[/quote]

Er ... do you have any evidence for that strange claim about stronger natural resistance?  It certainly doesn't fit with anything I've ever encountered in my studies of survival of the fittest! 

...and another thing - you are much less likely to stink if you wash twice a day.  So you don't HAVE to wear antiperspirant/deodorant to stop smelling. Talcum powder used to be the done thing in the 60s when I was growing up.

Most antiperspirants contain aluminium which some people think is linked with breast cancer - anti-perspirants (not surprisingly) stop you perspiring which isn't really a good thing whereas deodorants (which don't usually contain aluminium) just make you smell better!

Here endeth the sermon ...

Pix