My "Totty" post

euro

i note that to date there have been 75 responces to this post mostly interesting / helpful / humerous etc & would like to thank you all.

however 2 of the posts could be described as unnessesarily picky about the word " totty "

interestingly both of these negative posts were written by moderaters

why are you so out of step with everyone else ?

is it political correctness gone mad?

or cant you just enjoy a bit of fun ?

maybe the power is too much to handle X

Euro

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest that the Mods have just as much right to their opinion as you do to yours, Euro.

And as a suggestion, if you have any critique, it's probably best to handle this by way of a PM to the Mod concerned.

Otherwise, regarding your somewhat contentious final line, you could well be en route for the ignomony of  forum ban!

Just a friendly word of caution.

of course i agree everyone is entitled to a point of view !

and my point of view is that the mods were overly negative about something they couldnt view within its context - why should i not make that view public ?

Euro

blank lines deleted by a mod (is this too negative?[Www] [:D])

Frankly, if this is a demonstration of the way you miss the point I think your chances of success with the opposite sex are more limited than I thought[blink]

My views had nothing to do with me being a mod and everything to do with me being female, and I would hazard a guess that the other mod (if both posts weren't mine) felt the same. Gluestick is correct, we are allowed an opinion.

FWIW Totting is East End slang for what the rag and bone man does. Totty is slang for what he collects, perhaps that is why  I think its a vaguely unpleasant term and not one that would endear me to a person of the oposite sex that I heard using it to refer to women.[:-))]

Perhaps the women you know feel differently.

in one of my earlier responces i explained why i used the term "totty " perhaps you didnt read that ?

it seems to me you are trying to play and referee the game at the same time which isnt normal.

within any post on a forum there will be varying points of view which is great , what i dont accept is being told i am "shallow" for using a word that others wouldnt have used.

what i would also point out is the original post attracted a much higher number of views and responces than most of the posts on this section of the forum - so the word "totty " must be interesting to some.

Euro  - still smiling x

[quote user="Catalpa"]If you want further non-mod validation of dislike of the word totty, I'm in. I do think use of terms like that says more about the person saying it than the objects of their reference.
[/quote]

Hear hear, Catalpa.

Euro, sometimes I try to say nothing at all when I have nothing nice to say, hence a non  reply to your other thread. Sometimes I don't.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

FWIW Totting is East End slang for what the rag and bone man does. Totty is slang for what he collects,

[/quote]

Are you sure RH?

I thought that they collected "toot" which in turn made the phrase "a load of old toot" (pronounced tutt)

Totty was frequently  used on the TV by "Tim, - nice but dim" and Martin Clunes in men behaving badly.

And I wondered whether the new thread is just a way for a relative newbie to try to really endear himself to people and the Mods in general?  Or even if this is a re-incarnation of a previously removed poster?

J's response to the original thread was similar to Russethouses, if that's his approach, good luck to any of the women he actually hits on - hopefully they would see the OP's approach to women may leave something to be desired.

And it's not political correctness, fwiw, it's good manners - why not 'Does anybody know where I can meet single women' and my gay male cousin would love to be thought of as 'totty' Euro, I can arrange a meeting with him if you like. 

[quote user="J.R."][quote user="Russethouse"]

FWIW Totting is East End slang for what the rag and bone man does. Totty is slang for what he collects,

[/quote]

Are you sure RH?  Well totting was what rag and bone men did sorting through unwanted items to find  material to resell.  It is cockney but widely used in England then and even now by the Health and Safety Executive to describe the same job in recycling plants.

Totty is a derivation of hottentot, a South African tribal name, but that appears to have no link with the UK slang use of the word.

I thought that they collected "toot" which in turn made the phrase "a load of old toot" (pronounced tutt)

Totty was frequently  used on the TV by "Tim, - nice but dim" and Martin Clunes in men behaving badly.

[/quote]

I think the OP was trying to be humourous rather than offensive but for those who use the word frequenttly , JP says Totty was frequently  used on the TV by "Tim, - nice but dim" and Martin Clunes in men behaving badly....  says it all really[:D]

It's not necessarily rude, or outdated. In our part of England 'totty' is in common use, and our daughter-in-law's sister is actually called Totty (in preference to her real name - certainly nothing pejorative about her nickname).

Maybe it's a regional thing. It could be significant that the creators of both of the characters noted above - Harry Enfield for Tim nice but dim and Simon Nye, writer of Men Behaving Badly - went to the same school that I attended, and which is just round the corner from our English house.

[quote user="J.R."][quote user="Russethouse"]

[/quote]

Are you sure RH?

[/quote]

Ron, my grandfather was an East End boy, that is certainly an expression I have heard him use - I guess it depends where you are 'dragged up' as they say.

For the OP - I think its probably time he applied the first rule of holes. [:)]

The word 'Totty'  or 'Tottie' not quite sure which is now a brand name for women's/girls fashion clothing, you know the sort of thing were the brand name is written across the front/ back of tee shirts, polo shirts, skimpy tops, similar to 'Joules'.

Very popular at county/agricultural/horse shows, so some-one must like the 'term'.

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

The word 'Totty'  or 'Tottie' not quite sure which is now a brand name for women's/girls fashion clothing, you know the sort of thing were the brand name is written across the front/ back of tee shirts, polo shirts, skimpy tops, similar to 'Joules'.

Very popular at county/agricultural/horse shows, so some-one must like the 'term'.

[/quote]

Playboy is also scrawled across clothing for little girls. That doesn't make that ok either.

And French Connection UK initialised their brand and emblazoned it on the front and back of clothing.

Which personally, I found highly offensive, since they were playing with a word for marketing impact.

Interestingly, so did a British judge: he ordered a young man to go home and change into something more appropriate when he appeared before the judge.

Good for him!

I expressed my dislike of the term in the orignal thread! 

It's an expression that I've heard often, my reasons are different for not liking the sound of Euro using it. 

Where I come from it's something that a teen or early twenty something could only get away with and even then come across as a certain type.  Once you hit 30+  using the term would make you appear as a dirty old man as it implies the search for a young girl.

Disappointing and strange that most of the replies (especially the heated ones) were about the phrase used and not much about how single people meet one another, whether it be in the French or ex-pat community, which I thought might have provoked some much more interesting discussion, ho hum.

[8-)] Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity it is as perennial as the grass.

To euro quote from the other thread:

although on balance would prefer a Brit friend / very good friend

I should think its unlikely that single British women would be out 'actively looking' en masse in South West France the way they may be in the UK. I think the OP is probably going to find a friend via other couples or pursuing a mutual interest. Perhaps an association of some kind....?

One French friend met her British husband on the beach, an American friend met her French husband in the shop she managed........