Sic Transit Gloria Mundi!

Well, NuLab seem to have taken a rather significant drubbing!

And Red Ken's out of a job - once again - however, will Boris the Buffoon make a better job of it, or not?

OK a typical voter Knee Jerk well before a General Election, doesn't necessarily presage a sweeping victory for Call Me Dave in two years: however, I do believe the country told Godron precisely what they now think of him and his clumsy endeavours as PM.

Bury, Lancs was the most telling.

Still, with Godron's apparent preoccupation with overseas matters, perhaps it's high time he swanned off to the UN or Oxfam!

On their tombstone should be their oft quoted saying" Lessons will be learnt". As they make so many obvious blunders lacking any common sense, they don't learn very quickly. I wonder who the Forum members think would make good politicians.if that is possible.

Regards.

This was, for  me, summed up yesterday with the classic comment from Harriet Harman when she said " We must start listening to the people" pas de m*rde sherlock, the've had eleven years to listen.

The 10p tax rate and the, as yet not realised by many, road tax hike, were two major factors, coupled with fuel prices and mortgage problems. 

I've never understood this praise of Brown as being a great chancellor. His success was done by virtually bankrupting the country and you don't have to be very clever to do that.

For me, and before the fun starts[:)], I don't have an allegience to any particular party, experience of life has shown that all parties start well and then go of as time progresses. They start to believe their own 'press' and in the end power always corrupts.

A never-ending cycle...........................perhaps it's time for a coillition.

Gary.

And becoming a Republic with a properly elected Upper Chamber, rather than having 'People's Lords', seems like a contradiction in terms to me.

And if Labour honoured their committment to proportional voting as they promised they would, the Uk could - not would, but could - be a better place politically.

And that's without any discussion of the role of the National Assemblies in Scotland and Wales and why those two countries need MPs in Westminister and in their local assemblies whilst England just has the one lot - come to think of it, who would want two MPs, especially if they're NuLab or NuCon.

I hope your not suggesting a Revolution Tony.F.D.? With ref to Lords,Royalty and the Church, have any of these landowners donated any of their rolling acres for Low Cost or Social Housing,or even better Travellers Sites? I see Proper Charlie is showing several heads of state around his model village of Poundbury.,the land owned by the Duchy of Cornwall plus the Scilly isles ,swathes of Dorset etc etc. Has anyone seen this soulless place? I wonder if any other developer would have got planning for it?

I note no entries for M.P.'s yet.

Regards.

Gastines, suggesting a social revolution and asking the politicians to actually do what they promised to do can't be wrong surely?  And perhaps, some sort of revolution, people on the streets as they were with the poll tax demonstrations (tho not the violent riots) may actually do some good.  Tho interestingly, when the 1980s anti-poll tax demos took place Labour supported them - when the anti-Iraq war demos took place, NuLab ignored them and said they were not relevant!!!

Hypocitical as ever.

I'm really glad to see NuLab get a drubbing, since I hate them with a vengeance for what they've done to the country over the last 11 years.

HOWEVER, I also LOATHE the Cons after Thatcher, and would NEVER ever trust THEM again.

My vote, when it comes, will go to neither.

[quote user="trees 2"]I'm really glad to see NuLab get a drubbing, since I hate them with a vengeance for what they've done to the country over the last 11 years.

HOWEVER, I also LOATHE the Cons after Thatcher, and would NEVER ever trust THEM again.

My vote, when it comes, will go to neither.
[/quote]

Sorry to read at your problems with the two in England.

Will you try the Lib.next time round then.

They all do the job as best they think,and that will-not please all the people all the time.

I have thought for the last few years that the War in Iraq has caused many of the UK's financial problems backed up by Afghanistan. In the era of the laser guided smart bomb did they have to destroy the infrastructure that has such an effect on all Iraqis, when the removal of a few family members might have been all that was required. Now it seems that the latest ballooning budget is for the Olympic Circus. I suppose if it's not coming out of the M.P's pocket an extra billion or ten means nothing.

REf  future P.M, may I suggest Sir Alan Sugar.At least if the M.P's and the thousands in the non-jobs don't earn ,  he will fire them!!

Regards.

Ah, Sir Alan. The wannabe Donald Trump Junior!

The man who in the 80s was worth circa £870 million from Amstrad shares.......................

And a short time later on was worth not too much; thus demonstrating his massive business acumen.

His rise back to fame and fortune has all been on the back of property. (What was left of his Amstrad business was recently sold to BSKyB, since it mainly made the de-coder boxes: apart, of course, from his disastrous emailer telephone!).

Thanks to NuLab's insanity and Eddie George and his gang synthetically lowering interest rate "to stave off the forthcoming recession".

His own evidence to a Commons Select Committee back in March 2007, tasked with investigating how successful the Bank of England's "Independence" (Ho Ho!)  had been.

George also admitted that the MPC realised fully that dropping rates to a 50 year low would trip both an unsustainable housing boom and a personal credit crisis, however, they wished to avoid a recession at the beginning of a new government: and create a much bigger one years later!

All in Hansard.

Could have been a Tory initiative, just like the Heath-Barber debacle of 73-4 and the Thatcher-Lawson emulation of 1989-93.

One thinks a rather broader base of skills and forethought is currently needed; for example, Vince Cable's.

However he carries with him the onerous reality of the Lib Dems and their motley collection of fringe do-gooding nutters.

So suppose it's just the BNP!

(Joke by the way).

As I said before in another thread, the only tenable solution is a coalition, until economic and social stability be restored.

Have fun peeps, I'm now off to la belle France!

Why thank you Cathy..........................[kiss][kiss]

My day-one changes would be to remove the road fund licence and put a realistic figure on fuel, halve the tax on fuel, ban drunk drivers for life, remove all speed cameras from money-making locations (not the ones that contribute to road safety), increase traffic police numbers dramatically, put a two-year reduced power limit on young drivers vehicles, restrict roadworks to Monday to Thursday only, instruct traffic police to clear the scenes of RTA's as quickly as possible and certainly within the hour.

Day two.............................................................[:)]

Interestingly one of Boris Johnsons pre-election commitments was to allow motorcyclists to use the bus lanes in London. Be interesting to see if he sticks to it.

That said, you wouldn't get me to ride a motorcycle in London...................[:'(]

Gary.

Gluestick would become Leader of the House of Commons.  Interesting times, methinks, if he was in charge of proceedings at the Palace of Westminster...

Bugsie - some good ideas there.  Perhaps we should do a Forum Manifesto?

I think I'll be in the opposition :

My day-one changes would be to remove the road fund licence and put a realistic figure on fuel, how would that work for people who live in the countryside ?

halve the tax on fuel, ban drunk drivers for life, remove all speed cameras from money-making locations (not the ones that contribute to road safety),  increase traffic police numbers dramatically, Where would you get them from ? Police are difficult to recruit and keep as it is, at least here.

put a two-year reduced power limit on young drivers vehicles, restrict roadworks to Monday to Thursday only, Are you going to pay the labourers more to make up for the loss of earnings or do you think they could keep up hard physical work for longer shifts ?

instruct traffic police to clear the scenes of RTA's as quickly as possible and certainly within the hour. Thus destroying valuable evidence ?

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I think I'll be in the opposition :

I'd like that

My day-one changes would be to remove the road fund licence and put a realistic figure on fuel, how would that work for people who live in the countryside ?

It would be cheap enough for all

halve the tax on fuel, ban drunk drivers for life, remove all speed cameras from money-making locations (not the ones that contribute to road safety),  increase traffic police numbers dramatically, Where would you get them from ? Police are difficult to recruit and keep as it is, at least here.

From Poland [:D] I would introduce measures to ensure that the police force gained respect like they used to have, and that in turn would result in increased recruitment success

put a two-year reduced power limit on young drivers vehicles, restrict roadworks to Monday to Thursday only, Are you going to pay the labourers more to make up for the loss of earnings or do you think they could keep up hard physical work for longer shifts ?

Same system as france, roadworks are cleared for weekend use

instruct traffic police to clear the scenes of RTA's as quickly as possible and certainly within the hour. Thus destroying valuable evidence ?

I don't really think it needs a road closure for 12 hours to collect evidence.

Deal with casualties, Photograph, Measure and Mark, Clear. (Bit like france does.)

[/quote]

You'd be pretty upset if someone dear to you was killed by a dangerous driver but who could not be prosecuted because "we have to get the road open". Near us recently (in France) a motorway was shut all morning after a triple fatal.

[quote user="plod"]You'd be pretty upset if someone dear to you was killed by a dangerous driver but who could not be prosecuted because "we have to get the road open". Near us recently (in France) a motorway was shut all morning after a triple fatal.[/quote]

Of course I would plod, but my comments were a generalisaton in this virtual world. 

Read the thread perhaps.....................................

Gluestick, Can I just ask if anyone in  UK government of any political hue has ever done anything you approve of ?[6]

PS If any other minister says 'we will listen and learn' I'll scream [:-))] - after 10years we do not want a YTS government... too late now to blame the Conservatives, they are in a mess of their own making.[:@]

"At least if the M.P's and the thousands in the non-jobs don't earn he will fire them"

Thatcher had that ideology, get rid of council staff, civil servants and people who did not "earn"and put them on the dole.  The theory was that would keep down the rates, make Tory Councils and her popular and reduce income tax for the "producers." 

Trouble was that the unemployement figures rocketed to 3 million as a result of her policies of cost cutting, market forces and privatisations and so did the amount of tax payers money being paid out to people on the dole in benefits, free dinners, free prescriptions, free dentists, rent rebates and all the other benefits the unemployed and theiir families got, whilst at the same time the amount collected in VAT,  income tax and NI tumbled.  These costs to the country made her self first policies the economics of the madhouse to the point where it would have been cheaper to the country as a whole although not white van man of Bexley to leave the people in their "non earning jobs"   At least they were contributing something and had self esteem even if counting lamposts and numbering them was not "earning" anything at least they were in employment.

By all means get the long term unemployed off the dole and the frauds on IB  back to work, but before you propose policies that will put thousands of people on the dole again, at least think through the consequences and do the sums first.

Dear Ron, Sir Alan Sugar was suggested rather tongue in cheek. I do have a sense of humour even though it may be hard to follow at times.We all have our own views of politics and politicians,basically via what affects us directly. I thought M.Thatcher was marvellous mainly because through her policies I was able to enter the housing ladder. People in power with a good income,living in a protected environment obviously look at life with a different perspective than us at the flat cap level. My wife has probably the best view on life as when I am amazed that a person can earn £150K A WEEK for kicking a football, she simply states that if I could do it .I'd join.

What amazes me is that the M.P's and their thousands of underlings can be so far out of touch with life. Gordon Brown's latest utterance of " I feel the peoples pain" is worthy of the worst soap show.

I'm still waiting for suggestions for M.P's, seems no-one can think of any worthy persons.The only person springs to mind is my Dad,if we faltered,a belt across the backside soon woke us up.

Regards. I must rush ,Coronation Strrets on.

I would like the House of Commons turned into an English parliament (on the Scottish model but reduced in size) with a beefed-up House of Lords turned into a Senate with members elected from all the countries comprising Great Britain. This is where the National Prime Minister and his/her cabinet would be drawn from and where national issues such as defence would be debated.