DY France Forum

I only said I googled DIY France and posted a question on A forum (out of the many listed). I didn't say it was Total France....which it certainly isn't.

Come in please Roofer Ron, your services are required and it's not to re-roof a house.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DIY France Forum...aren't they the folk who sent out emails some time ago to those of us who post here inviting us to join their forum with the tag line...'pink coloured specs not needed'...?

I go that email and deleted it. But how did they get our email addresses ???

What's this about Mr & Mrs Sunday Driver...? hope they are both okay. Mr SD was a font of useful information to me over a period of time.

Right, so having looked through this thread, being concerned for SD, I can only assume that you people assume that I am the whining shit (of course using the translation quoted here but will be edited with little stars).

I am not. And here's the deal Woolynana...

I received an email some months back (early 2008) inviting me (using my living france forum name) to be a member of the DIY Forum and the tag line said  'pink specs not needed here' - it was around the time when on this forum some people were talking about being asked to sign up to some other bogus forums that were only after peoples passwords. I remembered this thread, short though it was, and deleted the email I received from DIY assuming it was along the same lines. I had checked out the URL given and found nothing which suggested a forum existed. I assumed it was a scam.

I wish I had not deleted that email now so I could copy and paste it here. Shall look through my folders and if I can find it I will reproduce it here but I am darn sure I deleted it as I do all junk mail.

Now Wooly - put your horns back where they fit.[:P]

Wish it was just drink my little Russet Hawse, but he is into every powder and pill imaginable. I even caught the little bu gger doing a line whilst praying in church on Sunday.

(He has strollen the light blubs so I cant type properly, just an act of petty revenhe because I made him apolohiz to out nFrznch nerboor for shootng her chooks.. Sorry if I zm typing baldy, it is ib the dark)

I don't think that the DIY forum is quite the fluffy little world you make it out to be Will.

It has quite a few links to this forum where banned members from here can debate, pull apart and make derogatory comments about either the thread or the people posting in it. To quote something I saw only a day or two ago...

"Why do certain people think that any comment made at diyfrance is a dig at people here? I know that sometimes - well, more than sometimes in the case of certain users - that is the case." (I expect to get a complaint about out of context but how many out of contexts can you get?).

It has toned down a bit since it was first mentioned here and some of the posts have been edited/changed and even deleted. As to why it is called what it is, where it can be found, the fact it can't be 'searched' on by Google and that the link from the home page has never worked also speaks for its self. As does the fact it is fronted by a proper DIY website. People can draw their own conclusions. It is a hidden forum that was created after another forum, created by an ex member here, was closed down (by said ex member) which was solely created to say nasty things about particular people here and to have a general whinge at this forum.

Another quote from a person there about a new forum that recently started up "Sounds like the sort of place to cause chaos... count me in!! ". Is this the nice fluffy world to which you and WB is alluding? No wonder they couldn't join said forum, it would appear their reputation precedes them.

It does have one redeeming feature in that it does show that the reason the moderators banned people here was correct, one only has to read their posts there.

And yes I do rather think Jura is telling the truth about being approached as were other members, as it was with the previous forum as well. In fact if you could have seen the other forum and look at the early posts in DIY it is obvious and even talked about.

Since a Mod has raised the subject, I guess it's open to free discussion.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I don't think that the DIY forum is quite the fluffy little world you make it out to be Will.

[/quote]

Quite right - it's far from fluffy as there are no Mods to alter posts, delete them, act as thought police etc.

[quote user="Quillan"]

It has toned down a bit since it was first mentioned here and some

of the posts have been edited/changed and even deleted.

[/quote]

Whereas you'll never find an edited post here.  [Www] At least posts on the other forum are voluntarily edited by the posters, not by Mods. I notice that a few of the posts on this forum for which I received notification emails seem to have disappeared in the past.  And then reappeared. How odd.  [:)]  OOPS!  Did I edit that?

[quote user="Quillan"]

As to why it is

called what it is, where it can be found, the fact it can't be

'searched' on by Google and that the link from the home page has never

worked also speaks for its self.

[/quote]

Could you spell that out, please?  It speaks of nothing. [8-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]

And yes I do rather think Jura is telling the

truth about being approached as were other members, as it was with the

previous forum as well. In fact if you could have seen the other forum

and look at the early posts in DIY it is obvious and even talked about.

[/quote]

I wasn't approached. [:'(]  I had to find it for myself. [:'(]

Finally, yes, there are some people on the DIY forum who have a robust views on all manner of subjects.  Occasionally if there is something "interesting" raised on another forum then it will lead to a spin-off discussion over there because people are free to express opinions which would be disallowed here.  By "interesting" I mean anything from a thought provoking argument to inane piffle.

These are my views and in no way represent the views of the DIYforum as a whole, any more than the views of any other individual member of a forum can represent the forum as a whole.

Well Quillan, a few more points on this perhaps if I may:

Firstly DIY has never been hidden, with a steadily growing membership to prove this I think. It functions by common consent which it can do because it is a small forum and not self consciously commercially run as it CF. Thus a couple of members have been banned because they were felt to be unsuitable or because they went beyond a line in the sand drawn by the membership, though after consultation.

Nor do we have a highly visible and at times inflexible (though this does depend on the mod and the moment) set of rules imposed from on high which mods feel obliged to enforce absolutely and refer to constantly. That this happens so regularly and that so many highly articulate and knowledgeable have been and continue to be banned probably implies that those rules need modifying as they are proving inadequate for purpose.

That issues and individuals should be discussed elsewhere in relatively unmoderated freedom is entirely healthy. In the case of the latter they are more than welcome to debate anything they wish. And given that you, other mods and a number of mambers of CF like to lurk at least on DIY, there is a very useful channel for feedback which is effective I think in that your (plural) behaviours are moderated by this.

To my knowledge, apart from error correction and genuine mistake, posts have not been edited or removed on DIY, except in the case of the members who were subsequently banned whereas I think that many posts have been removed from CF without notice being given. Post editing is also said to happen.

I think what is currently sad about CF is that there is so little discussion of the real issues of France which is going through a very hard time though if you look, it is not reflected in the apparent interests of members. I think that DIY is much better at this because it draws much more on outside references as starting points for duscussion.

It is quite possible that some members were and continue to be approached, particularly those who seem to have something to say and do not have a 'fluffy' view of France or life in general because they might have had or have something to contribute which they cannot on CF. (I think I may have done so myself). Whether Jura was approached or not, I dont know, but I must admit to winding her up yesterday just a tad. She is capable of taking care of herself as we know.

Amiably,

WBB (WB is fortunately locked up asleep for the moment after his atrocious behaviour of last night and we have found all the light bulbs stuffed into the septic tank!)

Well, for a forum that isn't hidden it's not easy to find! Having decided that the only way to get a proper view of all this was to look for myself I tracked down one possible and tried joining. That resulted in the following email 2 days ago. Can any of the illuminati tell me if I'm trying to join the right one? If so, is the admin on holiday or am I already banned before I even joined?[8-)]

Votre compte est actuellement inactif; l'administrateur du forum doit tout d'abord l'activer avant que vous puissiez vous connecter avec. Vous recevrez un autre e-mail lorsque ce sera fait.

Veuillez ne pas oublier votre mot de passe étant donné qu'il est crypté dans notre base de données et que nous ne pourrons pas le retrouver pour vous. Toutefois, si vous oubliez votre mot de passe, vous pourrez en demander un nouveau qui sera activé de la même manière que ce compte.

Merci de vous être enregistré.

--

The Forum Management

Well, that is all very well, but there are some people out there I just could never, never, never hug. Of course if anyone wants to hug my brother, they are welcome to try, but he hasnt washed or shaved and he chews garlic all day. And his hands wander I am told, especially in supermarkets. So perhaps better not risk it. On the other hand, looking at the list of posters, there are a couple who might like WB, a sort of fellow feeling.

Further replies seem pointless, but going back to Quillan's queries -

Nobody ever said the other forum was 'fluffy'. Quite the opposite. I agree, I did say something, which I think Q quoted, about over-sensitive people thinking that almost any comment made at diyfrance is a dig at people here. I went on to say that wasn't necessarily the case, but I can't speak for other users, who may well be having a pop at topics or users here.

That's the nature of forums, especially those were free speech is permitted. Different forums suit different people, and all should be able to live happily alongside each other without feeling threatened.

The discussion merely started because somebody, quite reasonably, asked if anybody knew why another web site was unobtainable. The other stuff about why a new member here didn't like that forum is another issue altogether.

I don't know what all this stuff about e-mail invitations is all about. I never got one from diyfrance either, so can only assume I am persona non grata there as well.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Well, for a forum that isn't hidden it's not easy to find! Having decided that the only way to get a proper view of all this was to look for myself I tracked down one possible and tried joining. That resulted in the following email 2 days ago. Can any of the illuminati tell me if I'm trying to join the right one? If so, is the admin on holiday or am I already banned before I even joined?[8-)]

Votre compte est actuellement inactif; l'administrateur du forum doit tout d'abord l'activer avant que vous puissiez vous connecter avec. Vous recevrez un autre e-mail lorsque ce sera fait.

Veuillez ne pas oublier votre mot de passe étant donné qu'il est crypté dans notre base de données et que nous ne pourrons pas le retrouver pour vous. Toutefois, si vous oubliez votre mot de passe, vous pourrez en demander un nouveau qui sera activé de la même manière que ce compte.

Merci de vous être enregistré.

The Forum Management  [/quote]

I did the same yesterday, Albert and got the same reply.  I'm still waiting..... [8-|]

I had thought not to bother anymore but you know something has been nagging at me most of the day an I guess its this.

Once there was an unmoderated forum and because it was not moderated it got in such a pickle the owner closed it (perhaps this shows the need for moderation in forums).

Next somebody from that defunct forum set a new one up so the old members could carry on.

This was an open forum, like its predecessor and like the one we are on now and could be read without becoming a member.

Next it changed to a members only forum, this meant you had to become a member to see inside. The question of course is why?

Now it has become a forum where membership must be approved by the owner, would you call this censorship or moderation or what? Are they scared of something, one can only guess.

Like this forum it has many people who are members yet they never post, I suspect that it is the same with many other forums the world over. I wonder what is wrong with this given that you must be a member to read it?

I remember a 'debate' over a year ago where the same people that post here in defence of said forum were going on about the importance of using 'handles' instead of real names as forums are a place where one can use ones outer ego or can use a 'handle' to protect ones real identity from the undesirables.

I then see on said forum that there is, what one can best describe, a witch hunt on anyone who is a member but has yet to post. It is a bit hypocritical I thought.

If the said forum is such a wonderful place and does not do the things I and many others have said then why does it not turn its self back in to a public forum where people can see the posts without even being a member. After all it is claimed by members that there is nothing to hid (bit like Freemasons)? I think this, plus the reluctance to accept two members who have posted here, hides a hidden agenda from which we can all draw our own conclusions, whatever they may be.

I also wondered if it has same system function as ours in that one can goad people by posting, letting the notification be sent and then change the post? Something some past (and present) members have used thinking it to be to their advantage over the years.

As somebody once said, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its a duck.

With that, and at the bequest of my fellow moderators, I shall leave the subject alone now so as not to put this thread in a position where it gets locked or worse deleted.

My dear Quillan, I am tired after a hard days labouring in the fields, pickin cotton for de masters and trying to keep the wilder members of my family in order, or I would reply to the sanctimonious twaddle you have just posted and of which you should be ashamed. Perhaps I will simply request other members of DIY to do the deed as I am falling off my perch.