A get-it-off-my-chest rant.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Surely Sqeezy bottles were white with green writing??????????????
[/quote]

Can someone find a piccy on the internet?  I've tried and failed.  I was convinced they were black with colourful writing, each letter being a different jazzy colour.

Maybe I have the spelling wrong?  Perhaps it had a 'u' after the 'q'?  What happened to the product?  If it was so popular, why was it withdrawn and when?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had another go at looking.  I found this:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/plastics_and_modern_materials/1985-1568.aspx

The packaging was black.  And the spelling was S Q E Z Y.  It was first launched in 1959 by Unilever and claimed to be the world's first washing up liquid. 

It inspired the slogan: "Easy peasy lemon sqezy." Well, I never knew that.

Sadly (in a "K -Way"  anorak kind of way) I understood all of that description and have "slugged" many a relay, but why the transistor switching circuit between the pressure switch relay, or was the transistor acting as the resistance for the R/C timing circuit?

On a different note my grandad taught me a betisse that he used to use on fellow motorcyclists between the two world wars, all the bikes then had sprung leather saddles with hollow rivets like the old racing bike DIY vasectomy type.

He would conceal and connect a piece of cable from underneath the HT cap to one of the ffectively insulated rivets, the owner would kick start the bike and give it a big hand full of revs before sitting down on the saddle, remarkeably effective!

He also taught me how to induce backfires on pretty much any petrol engined car except of course the current computer driven generation, it gave me lots of pleasure and many hours repairing exploded silencer boxes. 

[quote]Sadly (in a "K -Way"  anorak kind of way) I understood all of that description and have "slugged" many a relay, but why the transistor switching circuit between the pressure switch relay, or was the transistor acting as the resistance for the R/C timing circuit?

[/quote]

Whilst the unsmoothed 12V DC is fine for the clutch, it was no good for the relay, so I smoothed the output and used the Tr switch for some other good reason which now I can't even remember!

Your Grandad was an interesting man! Can see where your at times, evil sense of fun comes from, JR!

To induce backfires and explode the silencer, all we used to do was to change down a cog, lift the loud pedal and turn off the ignition, momentarily in overrun.

Ah, what the youth of today are missing or have missed [:D]

I can imagine you'd get locked up now (for 42 days of course!) if you spun up a ball bearing with an airgun and sent it scurrying down the pavement at about 60mph in a shower of sparks, you just can't have real fun anymore [:-))]

[quote user="Cathy"]

I just had another go at looking.  I found this:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/plastics_and_modern_materials/1985-1568.aspx

The packaging was black.  And the spelling was S Q E Z Y.  It was first launched in 1959 by Unilever and claimed to be the world's first washing up liquid. 

It inspired the slogan: "Easy peasy lemon sqezy." Well, I never knew that.

[/quote]

This one's come up previously.

My late Father was a wholesale Grocery and Provision merchant and a big distributor of Thomas Hedley's and P & G stuff.

I well remember him bringing home a box of plastic bottles containing a liquid detergent which we used for washing up on the boat, in seawater. Soap of course won't foam in seawater (Unless it's the special seawater soap): detergent of course will. This would have been circa 1954/5.

I believe it was called Tepol. Made by Shell, with production starting in 1942!

"Shell Chemicals

Stanlow's first chemical plant opened in 1942. It produced Tepol (washing-up liquid). "

http://www.merseybasin.org.uk/page.asp?id=2794

[quote user="Gluestick"]

[quote][/quote]

Your Grandad was an interesting man! Can see where your at times, evil sense of fun comes from, JR!

To induce backfires and explode the silencer, all we used to do was to change down a cog, lift the loud pedal and turn off the ignition, momentarily in overrun.

[/quote]

Yes that was all I used to do but timing and (so it seemed) the speed with which the ignition key were turned made a huge difference, it was one of those things like doing dohnuts that some people just could not get the knack of and couldnt really be tought, mind you their tyres and exhausts lasted a lot longer!