Rain

[quote user="Cat"]

Someone told me this morning that the reason we are experiencing so much rain this year is down to the fact that there are not 12 but 13 lunar cycles this year.  There were apparently 13 last year as well, and 2007 was also a very wet year.  I'm told that the extra lunar cycle only happens about 8 times each century, but each time it does then rain (lots of it) can be virtually guaranteed. 

Is this a load of old tosh, or might there be something in it?  [/quote]

Depends on whether you're talking about new moons or full moons, Cat.  If you follow this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_lunar_phases

you can see that last year had 13 full moons, whereas this year has 13 new moons and only 12 full moons. [:D] In fact  between 2005 and 2020 we seem to get 13 new moons about every 3 years and 13 full moons slightly more often, but never in the same year. You pays your money and you takes your choice.....

The 'year' in question is a 'tropical year'. ie the 365 days between Winter Solstices ( approx Dec 21/22, shortest day etc ). If that is used as your year then there are occasionally 13 full moons/ year. This 'year' being one of them.

regards

It has been so unusually dry here in Mayenne that the sun has dried my lips terribly whilst I cut my grass.  I asked my wise old friend Pierre, an 89 year old retired farmer, how he used to stop his lips drying out.  As best I could do with a translation, bearing in mind he threw in the odd equivalent of an English countrymans, "Oooohs" and "Aaahhs," I understood him to say that he kissed his favourite cows bum every morning.  He then went on to say that it wouldn't cure dry lips but it sure stopped you licking them.  [Www]

Rained off all day again and it doesnt look like improving, Tuesday we had the first 30 minutes of uninterrupted sunshine, the rest of the day being cloudy, yesterday sunny all day, today back to Picardie normal [:)]

I know that we have had at least one day of sunshine early on in what passed for spring but it must have been several months ago.

[quote user="oakbri"] The routine is becoming depressing, nice weather all week in Ireland and then returning to the usual rain and greyness of Picardie.
[/quote]

No longer a problem. I'm sitting here on the Irish east coast, wood burner going at almost full blast, barely able to see the Irish Sea through the rain splattered window.

Still, back to the Herault on Friday so looking forward to some heat and some sun.