siffler la marseillaise

Because, la Marseillaise, like the French flag, is protected by a law passed in 2003.  Anyone committing "l’outrage au drapeau tricolore et à la Marseillaise" could be punished by 6 months in prison or a 7,500 € fine.

EDIT:  siffler, as used in the news reports about the incident, doesn't mean to whistle la Marseillaise, but to boo, hiss or whistle during the national anthem.

OK, so I get the point. On the news they were whistling along (and almost in tune) which is why I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about! ISTR lots of people humming along to the UK national anthem at sporting events (probably because they didn't know all the words!) so wondered why whistling was different :)

[quote user="Cat"]

Because, la Marseillaise, like the French flag, is protected by a law passed in 2003.  Anyone committing "l’outrage au drapeau tricolore et à la Marseillaise" could be punished by 6 months in prison or a 7,500 € fine.

[/quote]

So, because of the intro to All You Need is Love, Macca risks a prison sentence should he set foot in France?

[quote user="Cat"]Nah, the only offence Macca is guilty of is marrying that horrendous Mills woman [:P][/quote]

what about basking in Lennon's reflected glory since whenever?...never mind ruining poor Frenchie's life!! what can she possibly see in him??

Danny

[quote user="Cat"]Nah, the only offence Macca is guilty of is marrying that horrendous Mills woman [:P][/quote]

... and breaking most of our hearts, every time he married (but obviously not Cat's [Www] ).

Back to the original topic, why did the crowd boo the French but not the Tunisians?

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Cat"]Macca has never been my cup of tea either.[/quote]

... breaking most of our hearts, every time he married (but obviously not Cat's [Www] ).[/quote]

I'm with Cat on this. Silly old fool and his money, blah blah blah...

[quote user="Cathy"]Back to the original topic, why did the crowd boo the French but not the Tunisians?[/quote]

because the vast majority of the crowd was Tunisian or of Tunisian extraction.

The two who were interviewed on TV were both of French nationality, born in France, from Tunisian parentage. It is obviously a very confusing place to be, identity-wise, when you end up boo-ing your own country, and your own anthem. These youngsters have possibly never set foot in Tunisia, yet they feel Tunisians, and reject their Frenchness.

Exactly the same thing happened with the last friendly football game France vs. Algeria, and before that, France vs. Morocco.

France has a very uneasy, post-colonial relationship with those three countries from the Maghreb. And the unhappy Maghrebins people (third-generation, many of them) use the "opportunity" of football games to voice their discontent at the way they feel treated by the French state.

But there is nothing new in that. In the UK, the bombers were British, of  Pakistani parentage. Yet, clearly they did not identify with their Britishness.

[quote user="Cathy"]

... and breaking most of our hearts, every time he married  [Www] ).

[/quote]

Yep .....  I would have married him, even though he's 22 years older than I am ...

But he's with that Nancy now !! [IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/020106TA223_prv.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/frogkermit.gif[/IMG]

Is it possible to explain why?? To put it in a nutshell, fantastically gifted songwriter and musician, + I love his fight for animal rights, and physically speaking he's exactly my kind of man.......[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/paulmccartney010_011_207.jpg[/IMG]

He didn't ruin my life ; he helped me speak English, and thus, have the job I have !!! [:D]

[;-)]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

He didn't ruin my life ; he helped me speak English, and thus, have the job I have !!! [:D]

[;-)]

[/quote]

Oh Frenchie, love is blind... what about 'Mull of Kintyre' and the 'Frog Chorus' ? surely unforgivable...

Back to the topic: you can't force people's loyalty. To me, legislation making it an offence to boo a song is just over the top. Like laws against burning of flags elsewhere.

Danny

Then we will agree to disagree all the way.................

All great artists have produced unforgettable stuff and not so much so...

Why not mentioning " yesterday"   " for no one" etc etc..

Sometimes he can have a bit of a laugh  ...

& I love Mull of Kyntire !  [;-)]

..........................................................................................................

As for the Marseillaise, no, I'm sorry, it is a matter of respect for what it represents, the French Republic, and its values, that have been one too many times offended throughout history..

[quote user="Frenchie"]

As for the Marseillaise, no, I'm sorry, it is a matter of respect for what it represents, the French Republic, and its values, that have been one too many times offended throughout history..

[/quote]

It would seem obvious from the behaviour at the football matches then that some people do not respect the French republic for many reasons but respect is always earned cannot be imposed by law. Otherwise there is no real respect but just blind obedience or fear or tribalism.

Personally, I have no respect for any country as an entity. I try to respect others and their culture but countries or Nation States are really artificial constructs. That will be why they change from time to time. As for values of the French Republic, they change all the time too. There is nothing set in stone. It would seem that the values of Imperialism and Colonialism are not current favourites ( in France anyway - quite the opposite in other countries) but I can certainly understand why some people may feel aggrieved with France.

Danny

[quote user="Jotty"]The obvious answer seems to be to stop singing jingoistic, nationalist and often frankly 'warlike songs' before a match in which 22 gormless overpaid buffoons kick a ball around a park for 90 minutes.

[/quote]good idea

Danny