What is it about photographes

I am puzzled

I put an advert on a  site where British look, advertising a car for sale. I gave the make, model, year,  kilometers colour , ie a full description.

I was asked for a photograph.

I was puzzled because people should know what a particular make and model look like.

Then I advertised stone from a barn demolition to be given away free.

Someone asked for a photo of my pile of stone[:-))]

The limit was when I advertised an ironing board.

Yes you have guessed Someone wanted a photo.[:@]

Not only that but I put my location ie town , where I live and people say "" We live in XXXXX and do not know where YYY is .Can you tell us how far you are from us.   

B- a- f. There are two sides to this, a friend of mine had some replica uniforms made for a specific company and period, despite the fact that anyone who wanted one would have known exactly what they looked like, a photo was requested, mainly by those who had no intention of buying the uniforms, in this case what was on offer was quite clear.  However in your case I think its quite reasonable to ask for photographs of a car and the stones.  Its normal on Ebay and such sites for pictures of cars to be included and few without pictures sell, no matter how complete the description is, often there are several views of the vehicle, a picture tells a thousand words they say and helps back up your description and builds trust.

With the stones, maybe people do not want very large 1m3 + or very small stones,  I have stones discarded from my build because they are too big,  broken or mishapen and not suitable to be used for the finishing stones, nobody doing an exterior finish would want those, so its not unreasonable in my view to not to waste your and their time by just taking a picture of them.

Alex [:D] [:D] Just needs a little TLC, I'd say.

BaF, it is baffling. The inability to look up a place name on Google Maps astounds me, at times. Is it principally a British trait, do you think?

Re: photographs.  Perhaps Brits in France have read so many estate agents' superlative descriptions that they seek to discover what has been omitted from the written description, for example does the object have all of the expected accessories (e.g. car has bumpers & lights) and even to be sure that what you describe as an ironing board is what they would call an ironing board (or maybe they're simply choosy about the design of the cover).

Either way, we have two pertinant sayings: "the customer is always right," and "buyer beware."

Offering anything free of charge is bound to arouse suspicion. [;-)]

Happy giving, selling (& photograph posting!)

Âme.

You asked if it was a British trait to ask for photos, I'm not sure but I do find that most adverts posted by the French on either E-bay.fr or leboncoin.fr resemble the link that BB posted they are usually hideously overpriced as well.

Surprise surprise which ones get bids or sell? - The ones with photos!

FWIW I would not expect or take much notice of a photo of a car, I would be guided by the vendors description and then decide whether or not to inspect, photos make things look far better than they are in the flesh, excepting humans of course!

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

I have stones discarded from my build because they are too big,  broken or mishapen and not suitable to be used for the finishing stones, nobody doing an exterior finish would want those

[/quote]

Don't you believe it, Ron - you should see the mish-mash of crappy stones that our house is made from!  [:P]

Oddly enough, it looks okay as a whole, though.  [:)]

But you're right in general - I would want to see the stones, too!

[quote user="Âme"]

BaF, it is baffling. The inability to look up a place name on Google Maps astounds me, at times. Is it principally a British trait, do you think?

[/quote]

Absolutely not.  Time after time I have phone conversations with people looking for rooms who go through a checklist of prices, room descriptions, facilities etc then at the end ask how far we are from the beach, from Nantes, how long it will take to drive here from Bordeaux, etc. 

French, British, American, makes no odds!

[quote user="Cathy"]

Bugsie - Are you Essex Boy?

[/quote]

No, sorry, I,m not. Hampshire born, Dorset bred, with a lot of Brum in the middle.......................................[:D].

That said, I think I do remember you on that bike with your cheesecloth dress and stilletos.........................[:D]

I must admit that I ask for photos of the seating when I book a gite . A lot of gite owners provide settees that look the part in old properties but are very uncomfortable . So if I do not like the look of the seating I will not book.