Are you still spending?

Yesterday I went to my local Weldoms to buy some bits and bob's. The guy who owns it used to be my neighbour when we first moved to France and is a really nice guy. We usually have a little chat when I pop in but yesterday was different, we must have talked for about 30 minutes or so. Usually there are quite a few people in the shop but I was one of only two people.

He asked me where had all the English gone. He said over the last few months the amount of English visiting and buying stuff in his shop has dropped dramatically and is having a very serious effect on his business.

So I just wondered are people putting off some of those DIY jobs till things pickup a bit, is he right to be worried?

We put everything on hold at the end of last year, trying to prioritise what we were doing etc.  We recently had a bit of a windfall financially so we've decided to get on with a few things, mainly in the garden as all the indoor things we want to do we have the kit for.  And we're getting much more 'French' about things, can I repair/replace things rather than chucking stuff away and buying another item, much more maintain and keep rather than disposable lifestyle. So we're spending a bit but keeping more rainy day money that we might normally keep.

Our upstairs is still an ongoing project and we won't be touching it again until the exchange rates get better, except to use the stuff we've already got.  We certainly can't afford anything that's not essential - even though my own board and lodging is being paid for by somebody else.  The few GB people we know are all in the same boat, except for those who are earning in euros - as they are all lucky enough to be employed, they are not feeling the pinch yet - although of course they fear for their jobs, like any French person must at times like these.

To be honest, if it had not been for my accident, I don't know how we would be coping.  It's an ill wind I guess.

I personnally know the owner of  a second hand furniture shop in Niort ( don't think I can name it ?) , and he said recently his business was also affected by the English no longer visiting his shop...

He asked me " have they all moved back ? "

DIY and worker's wages were the first things to go in our budget, when we started to feel the pinch.

We just accept the condition of the house (not too bad) as it is, and get used to it. Until we're told that we have to update the fosse. [:(]

But last week we were in M. Bricolage at Auch, just for a washer, and it was as busy as ever.

I think that the bigger shops (Brico Depot, M. Bricolage etc) do better especially with the French because they are cheaper. Where our Weldoms is located there are two builders merchants and they don't seem so effected but then they are cheaper and used more by the French. They didn't have what I wanted which is why I went to Weldoms.

I have just come back from La Poste and when I was there I saw an English chap who works for a local estate agent. He said he has loads of houses on his books either wrecks for renovation that the English normally buy or houses between 3 and 8 years old that are owned by English retired people. He said those markets are dead at the moment and nothing is moving but that may be a local thing. I certainly have noticed that I don't hear English being spoken in the bars round here like I used to. They could of course be drinking at home. I also noticed that there are piles of English news papers in the shops when you would be lucky to find one or two by lunch time. Perhaps everyone buys French papers now.

When I completed last month I had a number of things to purchase.  Tools/lawn mower/locks/fencing etc.

I went to Mr Bricolage in Ruffec assuming everything would be cheaper in a much bigger store but in going into Weldom in Chef Boutonne (just for some screws) I saw many of the things I had purchased at a cheaper price.  As always I guess it pays to shop around.

Still get surprised by the language.  After lots of trying to describe what I wanted I got the reply "Oh le plexi-glass!"  Should have just said plexi-glass at the start. (they didnt have any).

There must be a few people around this area with a few bob. A small house ,virtually derelict but on a plot overlooking  The Rance by the old mill has just sold after only 4 weeks on the market at 423000e. Blocks of flats and new houses being built everywhere and 10 new stores being built by Carrefour St.Malo. Not moving into empty units. Quite a few new commercial estates being developed and Brico-Depot moving into the area although they are at Rennes and St.Briuc.The flats being built at the Sillon,on the old EDF site realized the highest price per sq mtrknown in the this end of France.

On a personal level I'm trying not to think too far ahead but we are downsizing on the home front.2 people don't need 6 bedrooms.

Regards.

We are spending again, but only because we are committed. We signed up for some renovation work to begin last October, but had to delay until this year because of le crunch. We now feel compelled to finsih the job having bought most of the interior material, and paid deposits on kitchen etc. We feel that at least if the job is finished, we have a complete holiday home to let.

For the moment at least, all local artisans seem busy with damage repairs from the tempest.

I also think we will see a very busy summer holiday period this year, because a lot of people are looking for a 'cheaper' holidays in France, and if the English are restricted to one holiday in France this year, it will mostly be during the summer holidays.

Hardly used to look at the price of food because, after all, you need to eat, don't you?

Did a very small shop today:  potatoes €5 a bag, celery €2.20 a head, 2 small entrĂ©es nearly €8.  Yes, I normally would prepare all my own food from scratch but I have had 6 weeks of doing everything around the house and garden since OH broke his kneecap and I just wanted to come home this evening and not having to cook absolutely everything myself.

So, entrĂ©es bought but main course still cooked by me and no dessert (who needs all that extra fattening sugary stuff?)[:P]

Oh la, la, this "grande chute" of the pound is beginning to take all the pleasure out of shopping......[:(] 

[quote user="Gastines"]

There must be a few people around this area with a few bob. A small house ,virtually derelict but on a plot overlooking  The Rance by the old mill has just sold after only 4 weeks on the market at 423000e. Blocks of flats and new houses being built everywhere and 10 new stores being built by Carrefour St.Malo. Not moving into empty units. Quite a few new commercial estates being developed and Brico-Depot moving into the area although they are at Rennes and St.Briuc.The flats being built at the Sillon,on the old EDF site realized the highest price per sq mtrknown in the this end of France.

On a personal level I'm trying not to think too far ahead but we are downsizing on the home front.2 people don't need 6 bedrooms.

Regards.

[/quote]

That is interesting. I have the opinion that the houses at the higher end of the market, say around €500k will still sell because those that can afford that sort of money are not effected by the global recession as much as the rest of us. I also think that the French are not 'hurting' as much as many of the Brits in France and in particular those Brits on pensions.

In Quillan there is/was a very large expat community (I live 4km away and don't get involved) and the majority are on pensions and the rest are 'jobbing'' builders. The latter are drifting away because the pensioners can't afford to do things so there is no work.

There is a reasonable amount of building in Quillan but it seems to be either housing for the new Gendarmerie or social housing.

[quote user="Furry Knickers"]We are spending like mad things here! We even bought two rhubarb tarts yesterday and we only needed one. We never even gave it a second thought, and we would do it again too![/quote]

Thank you .. that gave me a lovely laugh!  [:D]