European elections

The European elections will take place on 7th June.

If you are not registered to vote for your French MEP, you should still be able to vote for your UK MEP as an overseas voter.

To do so, you must register by 19th May at the latest:

• either by entering the postcode of the UK address where you were last registered to vote on this page.
  • or by completing and sending this form (cutting it fine with this!)

Registration to vote in France closed on 31st December 2008.

More details on this post:

EU citizens: your right to vote in France

• 4 weeks later...

We have just received an envelope full of leaflets about various parties putting themselves forward for election. I don't know what to make of it all. I wonder how many people you can vote for? And could you vote for people from different parties?

There are 10 party lists, each list with a main name, and 19 other names. Thnen a separate leaflet for each party explaining their policies.

Can someone tell me whether you need to take some form of identity with you? 

Before anyone ask, yes, we have registered to vote but, on account of being away last year when the elections took place, this would be le première fois for us.

Thank you in advance.

[quote user="Patf"]We have just received an envelope full of leaflets about various parties putting themselves forward for election. I don't know what to make of it all. I wonder how many people you can vote for? And could you vote for people from different parties?[/quote]

Your vote is for the complete list. The list cannot be amended in any way.

If you do not know who to choose or do not want to choose, simply put an empty envelope in the ballot box. Your vote will be counted as blank.

You can take the lists you have received to the voting booth or you can pick them from the piles which will be outside the voting booth.

Enter the empty booth, put your chosen list in the envelope, leave the booth and go the the scrutineers' desk.

Hand over your voting card, which will be checked against the list of registered voters.

Vote, sign the register against your name and pick up your stamped card.

To vote in the 2009 European elections you had to register as a voter before 31st December 2008.

I posted about this at the time here: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1495913/ShowPost.aspx

If you did not register as a voter specifically for the European elections, you will not be able to vote this time.

If you have registered and have not received your card, give the mairie a call. They may send it or may hand it to you on Sunday.

I get 2 votes !!!

I wrote to UK election office to de-register from UK elections and I also registered for European elections here in Lux.

I got a European election card from the commune here in Lux and guess what?  I also have another one for local and european elections in UK. 

Any offers for it [6]

[quote user="Maricopa"]

As long as you are correctly registered to vote, then you don't have to have your card with you, just show official identification.

The form to register for European elections is a seperate form from the Local elections.

[/quote]

No it isn't.  I've just done my two hours on election duty at the Mairie and worked through the count (I'm on the Bureau) and all the cards I saw today clearly state that they cover booth the Municipales and the European elections.  I also checked with the Secretary and the Maire and you only have to fill in one form.  This isn't just a local/24 thing, it's the law, the Maire looked up the Code which we had in the voring room and it clearly states that you only have to fill in one form, which it designates and that the Card covers both elections.  If you have to fill in two forms, it's a local and wholly unecessary thing. 

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]No it isn't.  I've just done my two hours on election duty at the Mairie and worked through the count (I'm on the Bureau) and all the cards I saw today clearly state that they cover booth the Municipales and the European elections.  I also checked with the Secretary and the Maire and you only have to fill in one form.  This isn't just a local/24 thing, it's the law, the Maire looked up the Code which we had in the voring room and it clearly states that you only have to fill in one form, which it designates and that the Card covers both elections.  If you have to fill in two forms, it's a local and wholly unecessary thing. [/quote]

Tony, I don't know about the law, but we had to fill in two forms. I did think it odd at the time. As you correctly state, the voting card covers both local and european elections.  I too have done a three hour stint covering the voting in the local elections last year, plus another 5 hours for the count afterwards.

There are two lists held for EU citizens and you must be listed on both lists to be able to vote for both elections.

Liste complémentaire pour les élections des représentants Français au Parlement européen (Download the form HERE)

Once registered on this list, you lose the right to vote for MEP elections in your country of origin.

Liste complémentaire pour les élections municipales (Download the form HERE)

[quote user="Clair"]

once registered on this list, you lose the right to vote for MEP elections in your country of origin.

[/quote]

I'm sure that is the intention but I (and a british colleague I know) have registered and voted in Luxembourg and have both been sent a ballot paper for both local and MEP elections in the UK.

Something somewhere aint working.

[quote user="Clair"]You must show your voter's card (carte électorale)

as it will be stamped after your vote and, although technically not needed, I would suggest taking your passport just in case...[/quote]

I don't like to contradict Clair, but if you live in a town of more than 3500 people  a 'pièce d'identité' is  essential.

You can even come with just that, and as long as you are on the electoral list you don't need the 'Carte électorale'.

The list of what is acceptable  is on a board in the room in which you vote, and includes Driving licence ( at least French ones) passport, and sevaral other options.

If you are voting for someone else by proxy ("procuration") you will need both people's 'pièce d'identité'.

The French EU form asks you to confirm that you will only exercise your right to vote in France.

For what it's worth...

As an aside, a Dutch couple were turned away today as they were not listed to vote in the EU elections. They had voted in the local elections last year.