French brothels

What is appalling about the oldest profession in the world?

Re the 5.5% TVA, its better to have a visiting service from one of les petits annonces as that way you will qualify for a 50% reduction of les impôts for une prestation à domicile. [:P]

Actually I woud be against repealing the law against brothels, havng spent the last 5 years turning a bordel into appartments I dont want to have to change it all back again [;-)]

No problem with prostitution being legal - it is the age 16. The great majority of 16-18 year olds in prostitution come from difficult backgrounds and/or are drug addicts- which means they are not really able to make clear and conscious decisions.

I think back about my two girls at that age - and the thought about them taking to the pavement is unbearable. I think most parents would agree. Shocking that thoe kids are not allowed to buy alcohol but are legally allowed to prostitute themselves.

Spot on Swissie. The victims are those who have no option but to sell there bodies or have that forced upon them. I have a nephew who is going to die soon from aids as he thought his way to fame and fortune was to be a rent boy.

When i lived in Zurich I was appalled to see in the papers that there were 2041 registered prostitutes, this in a city of just 1 000 000 souls.

Surely, the age of consent, predicates the age at which women (And men) may sell their bodies for acts of prostitution?

The age of consent in Switzerland is 16, as specified by the Swiss Federal Criminal Code, Article 187(1). However, there exists a close in age exception if the difference between the ages of the participants is three years or less {Art 187(2)}.

Interesting little survey of Europe and the laws relating to prostitution. (n.B. I have only selected the states which proscribe the act: other than Switzerland and UK).

Prostitution in Albania is illegal, but the country is a major exporter of human trafficking.

Prostitution in Andorra is illegal

Prostitution in Azerbaijan is illegal

Prostitution is illegal in Belarus.

Prostitution in Bosnia and Herzegovina is illegal.

Prostitution in Croatia is illegal

In Georgia, prostitution is illegal.

Paying for sex is now illegal in Iceland (the client commits a crime but not the prostitute).[42]
Opinion polls have shown that up to 70% of the population supports banning the purchase of sexual services.

Prostitution in Liechtenstein is illegal but is tolerated by the police as long as it is not street prostitution.

Prostitution is illegal, punishable by sentences of several months to two years in prison

Prostitution in Moldova is illegal, but because it is Europe's poorest country it is a major exporter of human trafficking for the purpose of the sex trade.
Paying for sex is illegal (the client commits a crime, but not the prostitute). The law prohibiting the buying of sexual services came into effect on January 1, 2009, following the passing of new legislation by the Storting in November 2008.
Prostitution in the Republic of Macedonia is illegal, but flourishes in the balk lands. The country is a major transit point for prostitution to the west.[79] [80] The Macedonian government is trying to clamp down on prostitution.[81]. The trafficking of women for sex is worth billions in Macedonia and is considered to be run primarily by Albanian gangsters.

Prostitution is illegal in Romania.[83][84] The government had considered legalizing and regulating it (in 2007). The Association for the Promotion of Women in Romania opposes legalized prostitution, as they view prostitution as "another form of violence against women and girls".[85]
Romania is among the 11 countries listed by the United Nations as the biggest sources of human trafficking, based on reported numbers of victims.[86] Every year thousands of women and girls, some as young as 13, are kidnapped or lured by promises of well-paid jobs or marriage and sold to gangs who lock them up in night clubs and brothels or force them to work on the streets.[86] Homeless children in Romania have increasingly been trafficked under false pretenses and forced into prostitution in Berlin and Hamburg, Germany and Amsterdam, Netherlands

Prostitution is an administrative, but not criminal offence in Russia.

Prostitution in Serbia is illegal and can incur a prison sentence of between 5 and 10 years.

Prostitution in Slovenia is illegal.

Sweden
Paying for sex is illegal (the client commits a crime, but not the prostitute).

Prostitution is illegal in Ukraine, but widespread and largely ignored by the government.

Prostitution in the United Kingdom
Prostitution (the exchange of money or goods for sexual services) is legal in the UK for both the client and the prostitute providing the prostitute is 18 or older.