24 heures du Mans

For his 16th birthday, we have decided to take our son to " les 24 heures du Mans " .

It's his DREAM as he is CRA ZY about motor sport.

He checked the site , and said the tickets priced 65 were OK, what do you think? ( can't afford the 200 + !!)

Then, there is the question of accomodation, we are thinking of a camper van ( a friend can lend it to us)  on  camping site, is there any not too far from the race track?

Or any idea for accomodation that would be reasonably priced given the circomstances?

I know Cooperlola lives there, and certainly some others on the forum, please, give me hints as to make it unforgettable for my son !

Edited : I checked on different sites, are the " aires d'accueil " a good solution for the camper van ?

Mr Clair and I did Le Mans several times from the UK.

My advice:

• camp on site
  • do not attempt to drive out during the weekend

• book a stand seat (it was not too expensive and well worth it each time we went)
  • be prepared for the noise
  • do not expect to sleep much during the weekend
It will be a great weekend for both of you regardless.

Your main problem is that you're a bit late to get good grandstand and camping places but check the ACO website to be sure.  Clair's given you the basics but for any further questions visit :

www.clubarnage.com

This is basically a forum, but the Club Arnage "Not Just For Dummies" Guide  which we produce every year for charity will tell you all you need to know and more!  There should be quite a few camping and grandstand seats available as the race approaches being sold by people who, for one reason or another, find they cannot go at the last minute.  The forum sells these on a very strict not for profit basis so it's by far the best place to get them. Otherwise you can try Team Langoustine, who organise the Club Arnage campsite every year - I know that they still have some good grandstand places available as they posted just the other day  http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=10102.105

Seats cost around 80 to 100 euros each, depending on where you are. 

If you post on CA (and mention termietermite - my forum name over there )- you'll get a warm and friendly welcome and lots of advice (although some of the members just go there for the booze and the crack!) 

A work colleague is going this year. Just yesterday she decided that she had better book a hotel.  She could not find anything (and I looked too) at any price closer than about 50Kms from Le Mans.  Camping sounds the best option by far.  Wish I was going, I am very envious.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I think I can get you a good camping place for 51 euros (same site as me and the lads).  Interested? Pse pm me if you are.

Oops, also forgot that I can get entrance tickets cheaply as I'm a member so can save you a bit there too if you like.

[/quote]

Thanks so much to you and the posters who have taken the time to answer.

I think that I'll be very interested in cheaper tickets, of course. We have checked the official site, there are only a few places in the " tribunes" left.

Tonight I'm seeing my son's dad, as we are both paying, if he agrees I'll PM you, and if you can help Guillaume realize his dream ; I'll be very grateful !

I think the camping option is by far the best , indeed !!

I know we are late in organizing this, but G had not talked about it to his dad and I because he thought we'd say NO ...

Merci d'avance, I'll get in touch later. 

I'll pm you later with a bit more info'.  No matter how much Guillaume thinks he's going to enjoy it, it will be better than he imagines.  There's no race meeting like it and I have been to hundreds in my time, in both Europe and the US (haven't done Bathurst, I admit!) The atmosphere is second to none and the racing this year looks as if it will be very interesting to boot.  Do your best to get here by Tuesday evening as the practice days and the fun on Friday are well worth being at (and included in the price of the tickets.)

It's in the middle of June and it will affect your journey if you go from any of the channel ports and South towards Le Mans and Alencon - in so far as you'll see loads of gorgeous motor cars!  Seriously, some of the payages on the A11 can get a bit chokker, especially on Sunday and Monday when everybody goes home in a heap (13/14th) - I've known people who've waited in the cash only queues for up to an hour around LM but as you'll already be on the m/way there you should be fine.  Use a card or a "doofer" to be safe.