Campervans to hire

Do you know of anywhere in France you can hire campervans? Camping and Caravanning Club now have a connection where you can hire a campervan from somewhere near Dover. But then you have to pay your ferry to get it across. I wondered if there would be a simpler solution to hire in France and whether it would be cheaper. To hire the ones I've seen would make a one week holiday cost as much as we currently spend on 3 weeks holiday. With a campervan we could travel so much further as we wouldn't have to allow time for setting up camp when we do our journeys and we then wouldn't have to spend nights in hotels during journeys.

Any suggestions please?

Have a look in www.pagesjaunes.fr under Camping-cars. Firms that do 'vente' also seem to offer 'location'. They seem to be very, very popular at least around here, so you will be as well to get in early if you want any time during the French school holidays.

Liz (29)

Pro's and Con's with this idea.

The downside as far as I can see is that you can't just leave the van on the campsite and go off sightseeing for the day unless you plan to walk or cycle. To cover any distance and do the shopping you would need a vehicle.

good luck

Gill

Thanks for the various site references - I've saved those in favourites. It does seem expensive - but it is about the same in Euros as in pounds for the ones I've seen to hire in England, so a third less really. The only drawback is that Avis don't seem to hire them from anywhere near Calais or other ports. But, it's given me somewhere to start my research. Thanks.

Yes, it is true that you are restricted more to some extent - i.e. either you have to leave a space on the campsite and go site seeing with the campervan or you have to leave the campervan there and go by public transport or bike. But that's similar to the restrictions if we were to go somewhere by train. I'd like to hire a campervan some time so that we could literally stay one night in each place and travel for about 3-5 hours per day and get much further afield. Actually, if I were to design a campervan, I'd design it so that you could drive a little car into the back of it, and take it around with you. Forget the shower room and toilet. If you could get a little car in the back and then reverse it out at destination and have beds that fold down from the side of the "garage", it could be a good solution. I have seen campervans with small cars towed behind, but if you are going to do that, you may as well have a caravan. It is my dream to one day own a campervan and just go round Europe for the whole 6 weeks summer holiday. We would really like to go further than we can with a trailer tent, because we have to allow for time to set it up (that can mean taking 2 or 3 days to get down to the south of France)or we have to spend extra on hotels. With a campervan, we could get well into Spain, Italy etc.

[quote]Do you know of anywhere in France you can hire campervans? Camping and Caravanning Club now have a connection where you can hire a campervan from somewhere near Dover. But then you have to pay your ...[/quote]

Hi Jill

I know this isn't exactly what you are asking about but I thought I would let you know anyway.

We live just outside St Jean D"Angely (Dept 17, about 1 hour from the coast) and we have a 2 berth caravan here that we rent out to people who want to holiday in the area but dont want to tow a caravan all the way down here (or pay for it on the ferry)

Steve

[quote]Thanks for the various site references - I've saved those in favourites. It does seem expensive - but it is about the same in Euros as in pounds for the ones I've seen to hire in England, so a third ...[/quote]

Jill

re your idea for putting a car in the back of a van.

Why not consider a luxury horsebox. We have one which has all the attributes of a camper van (shower/loo/heating/tv/video/fridge/ etc,etc. Ours sleeps four and has loads of room, plus you could drive a small car up into the back. Not sure about the weights, but don't think it would exceed the maximum.

They are expensive to buy but hold their value well so you could sell it on return and you can drive a 7.5t on a uk license.

Love the idea. I am always trying to persuade hubby to do the grand tour.

Happy holidays

Em

Wow, that's a good idea - sounds expensive though - but you really should market the idea!

I've looked at the prices of renting these things and until the time comes when we can go out of season or we can buy one, I think we are going to have to stick to our trailer tent and not going as far as we would like to. I'd just like to be more mobile as it takes a few hours to set up and set down when camping and pulling a trailer also slows you down and means you can't go as far in a day. It depends where you are going - some places a week or 10 days is fine, but in many places it would be good to be able to move on after 1-4 days.

• 5 years later...

Hi Steve,

I noticed your post that you rented out your campervan.  My wife and I are looking to rent a campervan from Septmeber 10th through the 25th.  We were really hoping to do a one way rental from Nantes to Lisbon, but that is proving difficult.  Could you send the details on your campervan if it is availble?

Thanks,

Brett

[email protected]

[quote user="Brett"]Hi Steve,

I noticed your post that you rented out your campervan.  My wife and I are looking to rent a campervan from Septmeber 10th through the 25th.  We were really hoping to do a one way rental from Nantes to Lisbon, but that is proving difficult.  Could you send the details on your campervan if it is availble? [/quote]

The post to which I think you are referring is over 5 years old, and refers to a caravan, not campervan.

Regards

Pickles

I know how you feel Wooly i like to look at the scenery as we drive by in our camper van not just see a big blur as it rushes by - Why is everyone always in such a hurry to get some where - ok I cant wait until the end of term to get to France but Hey i will take my time getting there and enjoy the trip too :-)