More or less likely?

bixy

Now that we have had a chance to see the flavour of the present UK government, I wondered if it would be more or less likely that you would return to live in the UK, or would it make no difference? If you still live there would it make it more or less likely that you would move to France?

Patrick

bixy, for most people I don't believe the current government comes into the equation in deciding whether or not to move back, as governments come and go and increasingly our lives are ruled by EU legislation anyway!

If you look back at posts over the years there are four main reasons people return to the UK and those are financial, family, divorce and death of a partner. I also believe that the language barrier is a big consideration, as if you cannot achieve a degree of fluency in French, you are likely to feel more isolated and be unable to build up the same social network as you had in the UK.

I don't see that any government in power would have any influence on what I wanted to do what so ever. Lets face it what ever government is in place all they do is put up taxes, cut amenities for the general public, cut the NHS spending ( sack nurses), make more quangos for their mates and blame everything on the previous administration. I'm sure most people will do what suits them at the time for what ever reason, and to be truthful for personal benefit or satisfaction. 

France would have to take wholeheartedly to cricket, build lots more decent golf courses (and get them "matured" quickly), serve proper beer on draft in its bars and the people generally would have to adopt a more entrepreneurial "can-do" mentality before I could cope with it full time.

Nothing I could want would make up for the stuff I would miss and I am sure the reverse would be true if I already lived in France.

Unless you are either very lucky or very unlucky I don't think changes in government (where the difference in political leaning is relatively small between parties in UK) really have too much effect on us masses.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

France would have to take wholeheartedly to cricket, build lots more decent golf courses (and get them "matured" quickly), serve proper beer on draft in its bars and the people generally would have to adopt a more entrepreneurial "can-do" mentality before I could cope with it full time.

[/quote]

Bit like Essex then? Would they have to drive Fords and get thoroughly drunk at weekends?[6]

[quote user="woolybanana"][quote user="Stan Streason"]

[/quote]

Bit like Essex then? Would they have to drive Fords and get thoroughly drunk at weekends?[6]

[/quote]

Essex? Fords?

To abuse Hancock, Woolly "Have you gone raving mad?"

[:)]

(n.b. For non-Aficiandos of Hancock: The Blood Donor. Absolutely classic humour! See Here: )

Essex geezers and gals tend to drive 4 X4s: the ultimate iconic status symbol being  a Volks 4X4 tricked out with Porsche badges.

idun, I am so pleased for you, that it's worked I mean.

Only thinking of you today as I was looking for some mascapone to make your pastry!  Guests to lunch on Sunday and I find something or other with a bit of pastry always touches the spot![:D]

My original thoughts on this subject were provoked by a comparison of health systems. As one gets older one is more likely to need medical attention for the various bits that drop off/ stop working etc. I cannot speak highly enough of the treatment I have received here. Not just the medical procedures themselves, but also the kindness, courtesy and patience of the health professionals with whom I have had dealings. When you hear about the forthcoming [yet again] reorganisation of the NHS and the "efficiency savings" expected [what we people on planet Earth call 'cuts'] you can't help but worry about the future. Already I am hearing reports from relatives of sloppiness and disorganisation in the NHS, which is a shame because things had definitely improved under Labour.

A better health service alone is perhaps not sufficient reason to stay or go, but for older people it is a mighty important one. For myself I have to say that I love living in France for many reasons, and the quality of the health service here just reinforces my desire  never to have to return to the UK.

Patrick