Be a good neighbour.

French neighbours asked us round for drinks yesterday evening.

Because she'd so admired our pots of flowers, OH and I took them round one of our nicest terracotta pots planted with geraniums, a blue flower whose name I can't remember and parsely.

They do not have a single flower or anything else in their garden and I am hoping it will encourage them to get some nice flowers in and I think I have now done my neighbourly bit![:)][:P]

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Iceni"]Perhaps a good start might be for

http://www.european-neighbours-day.com/fr

to learn the difference between the English and Union flags?

John

[/quote]The flag is correct. It's the abbreviation of the country that is wrong. It's the United Kingdom that's an EU member not England[:)][/quote]Sorry about the thread drift but a serious question on this (tangental) topic - are the Channel Islands not part of the UK but not the EU though?  Or am I wrong about the former?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

French neighbours asked us round for drinks yesterday evening.

Because she'd so admired our pots of flowers, OH and I took them round one of our nicest terracotta pots planted with geraniums, a blue flower whose name I can't remember and parsely.

They do not have a single flower or anything else in their garden and I am hoping it will encourage them to get some nice flowers in and I think I have now done my neighbourly bit![:)][:P]

[/quote]

Sweet17, now that would sound like a lovely present to most, in fact it sort of does to me, but getting living plants to do anything with at all fills me with dread. They die, I don't know what to do with them. No instinct comes into play, they either suffer death by drowning or dehydration.  A friend did a garden for me  as a present; easy peasy they said, it was not, it all went 'wild' and I cannot tell a weed from a plant until the said weed has taken over.

When we have guests, if they bring a gift of a plant, then all plants are given away the following day in the interests of their well being.

I admire lots of things in life, like the look of them, think that they are marvellous, but couldn't live with them, it, or whatever. ie out with my brother and said when looking in a shop, 'isn't that lovely'. It was lovely and unusual, he bought it as a housewarming present and I don't want it and it was expensive and it cannot be taken back.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Iceni"]Perhaps a good start might be for

John

[/quote]The flag is correct. It's the abbreviation of the country that is wrong. It's the United Kingdom that's an EU member not England[:)][/quote]Sorry about the thread drift but a serious question on this (tangental) topic - are the Channel Islands not part of the UK but not the EU though?  Or am I wrong about the former?[/quote]Coops, according to my informants at Wikipedia, the isle of Man and the Channel Islands are crown dependencies and not part of the UK. See this article for further information

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Iceni"]Perhaps a good start might be for

John

[/quote]The flag is correct. It's the abbreviation of the country that is wrong. It's the United Kingdom that's an EU member not England[:)][/quote]Sorry about the thread drift but a serious question on this (tangental) topic - are the Channel Islands not part of the UK but not the EU though?  Or am I wrong about the former?[/quote]Coops, according to my informants at Wikipedia, the isle of Man and the Channel Islands are crown dependencies and not part of the UK. See this article for further information[/quote]Thank you neighbour![:)]   (We are in neighbouring departments.  Don't want to be accused off going off topic, now do we?)

[quote user="idun"]Now we have been told off before about using terms others might not know, so I'll say. William the Conqueror, for anyone who didn't know.[Www][/quote]Blimey, Idun.  You do realise that if you're going to start translating all the impenetrable posts on here then you do have your work cut out?[:)][Www]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Friday 17th is the day of the Fête de voisins.

http://www.immeublesenfete.com/

[/quote]

Thanks for that ppp!

So it was a nice coincidence that this morning at the shops I met my neighbour from our first house here and had a long chat with her [:D] A french lady who was very kind to us in our early days, and it's good to keep in touch.

[quote user="cooperlola"] Sorry about the thread drift but a serious question on this (tangental) topic - are the Channel Islands not part of the UK but not the EU though?  Or am I wrong about the former?[/quote]

The Channel Islands aren't in the EU and aren't actually part of the UK, but they are Dependancies of the UK.

[quote user="Pommier"][quote user="cooperlola"] Sorry about the thread drift but a serious question on this (tangental) topic - are the Channel Islands not part of the UK but not the EU though?  Or am I wrong about the former?[/quote]

The Channel Islands aren't in the EU and aren't actually part of the UK, but they are Dependancies of the UK.[/quote]

Definitely classed as British Isles but not E.U. same for I.O.M.

Back to the thread, nice party for the "voisins" in our little village, very friendly, everyone brought plates of nibbles, quiches etc and drinks.[:)][:)]