Heatwave on its way South of France 20.08.11

I know some people love the heat, but it's plenty hot enough here in the Vendée (and there's the sea for cooling off). When we lived in Lot et Garonne, just about 5 miles south of the border with Dordogne, I felt completely overwhelmed by the summer temperatures. A pool was essential not a luxury, but that didn't help with sleeping. Then again winter was bitterly cold - far, far colder than the UK.

I think I'm just better suited to a more temperate climate!

It's been very hot here too, 40 C, but like many of you it's the humidity that I find the killer, just walking across the room seems to make my skin leak! We had a storm about 7.00 am today, then showers during the morning which helped a bit, but it was hot again this afternoon. My poor husband has been re-tiling a roof for the past 4 weeks, he's been k****ered every night when he gets in.

All of you who are still stewing, you have my every sympathy.

I felt ill all through the 4 days of the extreme heat we had here.  Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, joints all aching, couldn't keep still and yet couldn't move about.

But, today, the blessed rains came in the morning, cloud cover all day, I recovered by staying in bed, reading and doing Sudoku puzzles and this evening, I have had a couple of glasses of wine and an egg and tomato sandwich so I feel human again.

I was so tetchy that it was much to OH's credit that he didn't leave me for a better tempered woman.

We had the mother of all thunder storms last night.  It woke me up at 3:00 and went on till 5:30, it just seemed like one long roll of thunder that just got louder and quieter without ever stopping.  The lightening was awesome too.  Today has been lovely, cool and fresh, no more sweating from the effort of moving.

Happy all of you ... with your heatwave [8-)]

Left home this morning under a slight drizzle which promised to dry up and travelled 30 miles east of home to go to work. There, all is near enough a heatwave with a bright blue sky and lovely sunshine and Assurancetourix's law : I am stuck inside an office [:(] ...

Had the afternoon off, so called my friend to go to the beach with her 2 grand-daughters. The beach is about 12 miles to the west of this town where we live. She told me "You must be capital B-bonkers !!" because it was as if Noah had just finished boarding his boat and waited for the end of the floods. Indeed when I arrived home I just couldn't see the house from the yard where I normally park my car, I got soaked through just running 25 yards to the house ...  and that was at 2pm. It is now past 7pm (time for a pastis! can't think of nowt else better to do to cheer myself up[:)])  and it still hasn't stopped raining ...

Il pleut des cordes ! [:(] [:(] 

To top it all my friend just rang this minute and said that her son (the 2 little girls'dad) had just come through the coast and [:'(] ... he said it was wonderful there, he hadn't seen a drop of rain all day [:'(][:'(]