Good weather

Is anyone anywhere experiencing this long-forgotten, taken-for-granted luxury?

Where we live, the weather has been cold, wet, windy, dreary, dull, anything other than sunshiny or life-enhancing.

The word I have learned from French acquaintances and neighbours is "pénible".  So, I go around saying that it's been really pénible and have had nods of agreement and commiserations without exception.

So, if it's good weather where you are, do you mind describing it for us so that I can enjoy it vicariously?

Sunny for the last two days here and was sunny away from the coast a few days ago.

Doesn't May usually finish well when it has a lousy start, or vice versa?

From what I saw on french news about a six to 8 weeks ago, there was a great need of water in SW France, very very bad drought conditions with last years grains still in the dust in the fields and had not taken at all.

We certainly needed rain in England, maybe not so much here in the NE, but we haven't actually had that much either.

I know that the weather was always,always a great part of conversation when I lived in France and 'how's the weather there?' is one of the first questions my french friends ask me when we speak.

Seven years ago we had spent three weeks in beautiful warm sunshine on the Cuban island of Cayo Largo. In the last week of May we were sitting in our garden in SE England freezing to death and decided that in retirement we did not want weather like this at the end of May so we would buy our holiday and what would then become our retirement home in SW France.

So notnihg unusual about the weather in England - perhaps so in France.

Paul

Whilst I hate the long drawn-out rain that we've had for what seems like ages, I can see that the lakes and farmers' ponds are filling up now. Our own pond was the lowest I've ever seen it, earlier this year, but is now almost up to top level.

So I know that the farmers need it, I know that the fruit trees need it and that all the reservoirs need topping up, but please ... please ... where is the sunshine ..? I didn't come to France to be constantly in waterproof and wellies!

''I know that the weather was always,always a great part of conversation when I lived in France and 'how's the weather there?' is one of the first questions my french friends ask me when we speak.''

I thought the English were supposed to be the Nationality that always spoke about the weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Sunny for the last two days in Normandy, the car gauge was showing 29 C at lunch time.

Before I moved to France, I had never heard that about the english.  So I just found it quite normal that the weather was an important part of conversation in France too. What I did find shocking was once when we had neighbours round for dinner, for whatever reason, everyone wanted so see the meteo on the tv for the next day........ and they didn't even know where we were in France, for some reason they thought that we were above Lac Leman and near Besancon, we most certainly were not.

Sun did come out briefly, well sort of, after I posted the thread but, to be honest, it's not that warm.

I am dithering about whether to go for one of those randos on Saturday, where you walk all morning, have lunch (champêtre but cooked on bbq) and then walk all afternoon.

Went last Sunday and it p***led down all day and I couldn't get warm after I got home and I just sort of flaked out in the evening.  NOT much incentive to go again if that's all going to be the same [:(]

[quote user="powerdesal"]28 is a nice comfortable warmth, 26 is getting marginally cool. Anything less than 20 needs the heating on.[/quote]Depends on the humidity and how much breeze there is. If you have to work then 23 - 24 is very comfortable.