Hunting?

Susa

Hi everyone,

I am planning a move to the Charente Maritime area of France next year, but have noticed lots of posts about farmers shooting randomly at cats and small animals , men marching through villages with loaded shotguns and various other things which have made me quite uneasy.

Do thèse chasse practices go on in every rural community?

Any help?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Susa,

Welcome to the forum.

Culturally the French are far less sentimental to animals than Brits and France has one of the highest gun ownership ratios per head of population in Europe.

In the UK legal gun ownership was severely constrained after Dunblane, with a total ban on handguns and semi automatic weapons, but in France gun ownership controls by comparison are very relaxed and there is far more of a gun culture.

As for hunting, well that is an ingrained part of the French culture and yes in hunting season you will often come across hunters with loaded rifles, even in populated areas that border woods and fields.

As for farmers, I am sure that as part of what they see as pest control most small animals not accompanied by an owner would be seen as fair game if on their land!

Having owned a property in the Charente Maritime for nearly 11 years, I can't say that on my regular visits I've ever seen the chasse out in force. I occasionally see a few orange jackets down a lane, off a road as I drive past, but your post makes it sound as if the C-M turns into Dodge City during the hunting season. It's not a pastime I am particularly enamoured of, but it's part of daily life in rural France. I don't think it's quite the picture you paint, though. For some people, in some areas, it's a problem, an inconvenience, something they dislike or fundamentally disagree with. It's not the Wild West, though. I live right next door to a large farm, and, to the best of my knowledge, my neighbour doesn't own a gun, and knowing him quite well, I'm pretty sure he's not the type to go round randomly shooting at animals of any size, even if he did.

I agree with Betty's comment and we have a house in the Charente-Maritime  not far from hers. The chasse do meet regularly during the season usually on Sunday mornings so that's maybe not the best time to chooses to be out walking. However it does seem to be fairly well organised and I have not heard of problems locally apart from one year when a fight  broke out at the annual chasse dinner in the village hall and the gendarmes were called. The maire has now banned them from using the hall for this event.

There is a lot of hunting around where I am and certainly I would be wary of walking in the hills with a dog off the lead, just in case. However, the chasse do park their vehicles at the start of paths, to indicate that they're up there. Once, walking on a path I bumped into a hunter who looked really shocked to see me, and advised me to stick to the path. Re. animals, I have several cats and haven't lost one, nor heard of one being lost to hunters.

Where I am in the Var the hunters go after wild boar or sanglier, the population of which is growing out of control. In hunting season it is generally not advisable to go walking in the forest and hills, as the hunters use rifles and the bullets can travel a long way. Another problem is that a minority of hunters can imbibe a few glasses of the old vino, which does not help their aim.

Most people are very supportive because of the havoc being created by the sangliers, but if you are against blood sports, France will be something of a culture shock.

Back in October before we came back to the UK I was cycling up a categorised climb of about 3 miles ascending from the Cele valley.

This is quite a steep climb so I wasn't going at a great speed. About 2/3 of the way up the climb I came round one of the bends and saw a man just off the road and heard the click of a cartridge being loaded. Next thing I saw was a sanglier come charging down the hill through the trees chased by several dogs. It came to a halt about 20 metres in front of the hunter as there was a wire fence running in to the forest from the road.

The hunter took aim and fired. There was no reaction from the sanglier and as far as I know he missed. The sanglier then charged back into the forest. All this must have taken very few seconds but seemed to happen in slow motion to me.

Then, as I started to pull level I shouted at the hunter who hadn't any idea I was there... he acknowledged me  (politely).

This idiot had fired a shot parallel with a road from a position no more than about 3 or 4 meters inbound from it... missed.. the bullet went where?

The road above him bent round and presumably the bullet may have gone straight across it. I'm pleased I was ascending, not descending at the time.

Possibly he is referring to the quantity of hunters being accidently shot and possibly killed due to gross negligence.

If you are thinking of moving to France and have a cat or two that you will be bringing with you then I shouldn't worry about hunters shooting it or them. We bought three cats with us from the UK twelve years ago two of which have died from old age, the third is still around and is 20 years old. We live in a rural community of around 200 people surrounded by forest (where they hunt) and farms. The only concern is that farmers do use poison especially where they store animal feed but then I have only ever heard of one domestic animal being poisoned round our way and never of one being shot.

I think the OP has made her mind up. After a page of posts largely (but not wholly)reassuring her that it's not shotgun central, the only post she has responded to is the one where someone's said it's "too dangerous" with a "What do you mean, too dangerous?". That sounds like someone who has convinced themselves they are on the brink of moving to somewhere where gun law rules, and wants evidence to support her belief.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I think the OP has made her mind up. After a page of posts largely (but not wholly)reassuring her that it's not shotgun central, the only post she has responded to is the one where someone's said it's "too dangerous" with a "What do you mean, too dangerous?". That sounds like someone who has convinced themselves they are on the brink of moving to somewhere where gun law rules, and wants evidence to support her belief.

[/quote]

Then I would say either live in a city or don't come to France. Mind you your probably living in far more dangerous environment in a French city but then that would be no more dangerous than living in any UK (or any other country) city.

My memory is not what it was but the occasional post where it has been suspected that a cat has been shot, it has usually been by a particularly obnoxious neighbour, rather than the chasse.

It think it would be unusual for any chasse to shoot a cat.

I've spent my life in the English countryside and most of the farmers I've known have had a gun. They are needed to keep down vermin and, very occasionally, to shoot a dog. These are just the realities of country life. Around my house in France sangliers are a fairly major problem, laying waste to the corn. The chasse is generally welcomed.

Hoddy

"I think the OP has made her mind up. After a page of posts largely (but not wholly)reassuring her that it's not shotgun central, the only post she has responded to is the one where someone's said it's "too dangerous" with a "What do you mean, too dangerous?". That sounds like someone who has convinced themselves they are on the brink of moving to somewhere where gun law rules, and wants evidence to support her belief."

Or perhaps, Betty, I am just curious as to what he meant?

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Which part of the Charente-Maritime are you moving to? In residential areas such as St. Palais, Royan, La Rochelle there is hardly likely to be much hunting. In rural areas they do have a regular hunt but only on certain days of the week and only during the hunting season.

[/quote]

I am planning to move close to La Rochelle or Royan but would still be living in the countryside surrounding them

We got new neighbours in France and he was a hunter. He stopped hunting with the hunters in our village as he said that it was carnage and probably quite illegal. He would go to his parents to go hunting with his father if he wanted to go out shooting.

We had problems in our village and the general area with hunting dogs being shot and the odd case of hunters too. I felt for the poor dogs.[blink]

Well they hunt where I live normally on Wednesdays and Sunday mornings. I walk my dogs every morning around 07:00 which is about the time the hunt is out and have not had a problem. Of course one needs to be aware of what day they hunt and where. I have got to know the rough areas where they go so I stay away from them on those days. I am still here so like Betty it would seem that applying a bit of common sense keeps you safe. If you want to know the days ask the mayor or his secretary.

Likewise we have quite a bit of land around which I have a wire fence more to keep my dogs in but of course it keeps the wild boar out as well and stops them eating my veg. Following the recommendations from somebodies question on the forum years and years ago who did not want the hunt to enter their land I went to the mayors office with a letter I had written saying I revoked any previous permissions (from the previous owners) for them to enter my land and could he pass it on, he must of done because we never see them just hear the odd gunshot up the valley on hunt days. To be honest I have had more problems with anglers entering my land than I have ever had with anyone else. I have heard the hunters can get pretty stroppy and allegedly wield incredible power but we have never had a problem with them and I drink with one or two of them as well. I am not a fan of hunting so my attitude is that I stick my side of the fence and they stick theirs and we can all get on with our lives.

So there you go, there is no major problem. Check with the mayor which days the hunt is active and don't let your cats out not that I can see them ever been shot especially with the price of bullets these days.

[quote user="Susa"]Thanks to everyone, you have all been rather helpful. I had no idea that if you had land that hunters could enter it ? I assume that there would be something in the title deeds about this or is it a right of way?[/quote]

As far as I am aware the only way hunters can enter your land is if you let them. It is quite possible that if you buy a house with some land the previous owners may have given the hunters permission to enter and hunt. On top of that there are laws (I read on this forum years ago) that state the distance that a weapon can be discharged around a house although it is so long ago that I read it I can't remember the distance but I am sure somebody else will know. Likewise I believe they can't fire from a right of way (footpath) either. There are also laws on where they can hunt and I believe they are not allowed to hunt in Domaniale forests but can hunt in forests owned by the commune and most communes own forests. I don't know about giving hunting rights by title deed, never heard of that but I would suggest if in doubt check with the notaire.

The only 'right' with regards entering private land can be to do with rivers. I had read about this before we bought our house that is on the banks of the river Aude (after which our department gets its name). I was assured they did not have the right and wrote to the notaire asking for confirmation. I never got a reply of course which is pretty standard so when we went to the signing I told him that we would not sign until we had a document from him to say there was not right of way to anyone including anglers. Big intake of breath as this bought the whole procedure to a halt which forced him to 'bash' out a letter, sign and stamp it so we could continue (helps to be able to show proof you have tried to contact the notaire by the way). First day of the fishing season there were four of five anglers walking around my garden so I gave them a copy of the letter and told them nicely to shove off. Didn't stop one from dropping his trousers and shitting outside my front gate though. But then it's France and things are different here. [:D]

In some Depts. the chasse has the right to enter "private" land. In others it doesn't. This relates to a particular law.  Perhaps someone can find a link?

If you live in a Dept. where they have this right you can opt out by registering ? via the Pefecture to the local Fed. de Chasse, then you need to put up appropriate placards on your boundaries.

Susa - if this really worries you I suggest you look for a home in France where there isn't any chasse, as it's a very strong tradition in some places, as it is where we live.

ps - here's an article in english about it:

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/thisfrenchlife/2006/05/keeping_la_chas.html

Hoping someone can make the link clickable.

"Susa - if this really worries you I suggest you look for a home in France where there isn't any chasse, as it's a very strong tradition in some places, as it is where we live.

ps - here's an article in english about it:

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/thisfrenchlife/2006/05/keeping_la_chas.html"

Hi Patf thanks for the link most interesting. I am not sure that there are any depts that don't have this practice as tradition except cities I would imagine?