UK prescriptions posted to France

Has anyone had their prescription drugs sent from the UK by post ? I am on permanent medication for hypertension and get two months supply each time from the chemists. One of my children can collect them for me if necessary and in the past someone has always visited me in France before the two months is up.

This year I shall have no visitors from home in that time so I’m wondering if there would be any problem in them being sent to me by post.

Has anyone experienced difficulties with La Poste over this ?

Hoddy, I've just received my summer supplies by post, sent by my daughter in England Doesn't appear to have been a problem, unless of course my name has gone onto a list for future observation[:)] No seriously; we've used this system for ages. What my daughter does do though is repackage the tablets to prevent damage.

? Just have a word with your GP and Chemist and get two months supply before you go. My other half was going to be away for 10 weeks a couple of summers ago and he got three months supply. I know that he has been away for 6 weeks at a time on other occasions and they gave him two months without questioning it. Simply I believe that they will do it under exceptional circumstances. Better for you to have them, than you to end up being ill and costing the NHS even more, isn't it?

When travelling we always have copies of our prescriptions with us and these have been checked at airports as we always carry medication in our hand luggage.

[quote user="Hoddy"]Has anyone had their prescription drugs sent from the UK by post ? I am on permanent medication for hypertension and get two months supply each time from the chemists. One of my children can collect them for me if necessary and in the past someone has always visited me in France before the two months is up. This year I shall have no visitors from home in that time so I’m wondering if there would be any problem in them being sent to me by post. Has anyone experienced difficulties with La Poste over this ?[/quote]

From reading the above it looks like you are currently either here most of the time or for extended periods, is there any reason why you cant get the drugs prescribed by your médecin and get them from ayour local pharmacy? 

One way or another they will be 70% or 100% remboursé.

Some drugs available in UK aren't available in France.

This has happened to me - there's a french alternative but it's not so good.

I'm going to try a UK doctor when I go over next month, but doubt if I'll be able to get repeat prescriptions without seeing the doctor again regularly.

I have never had a problem getting  enough tablets from my Doctor  before I leave the UK ... A note attached to my prescription  has always  worked when handed in at the surgery to get me what I want .

. There are however on line chemists UK  ones you can phone and talk to and post a prescription to who will then send your medication out to you  Knowing this ..Has always been something to fall back on if  for instance I was forced to extend my planned stay. .My tablets are generic ones  so availability is not something  I worry about.  If I had to I know while in France I could go on line and get some sent out from the UK .

I read this thread and had a feeling that Royal Mail don't allow sending of medicines.

Maybe I'm interpreting it too strictly but their web site in fact says

"May only be sent by, or at the specific request of, a qualified medical

practitioner, registered dental practitioner, veterinary surgeon,

registered nurse or a recognised laboratory or institution."

But I imagine that if suitably wrapped it's not going to cause any one too many sleepless nights....?