Be careful if a 'foreigh' car stops and asks for information....

NormanH

This article describes an increasingly frequent trick which nearly happened to me so I can vouch for the fact that it is current.

A car with non-French plates and full of a group of men and women stops and asks for some simple information, such as directions.

In my case it was the time, and they were 3 hefty blokes and a 'French'-speaking large gypsy-looking woman.

You stop to help and one or more get out of the car and either take any jewellery you have or pretend to put something round your neck.

I nearly got out my phone to look at the time, but some instinct told me not to, and I don't wear a watch (the two things the question is intended to make you reveal) so I just gave them a rough time and hurried on.

I have nothing of value on me at most times except my bank card and carte vitale, but the new village is a very touristy place full of visitors with cameras smartphones and dressed with necklaces etc.

If you are a little more wealthy and better dressed than I am beware, as this is increasingly a village phenomenon,...

http://www.midilibre.fr/2014/08/21/les-vols-par-ruse-se-multiplient-dans-l-herault,1040238.php

I've mentioned this before but 2 friends were mugged near Evreux after being flagged down by a couple posing as police. Blue car, flashing light and uniforms, all a bit suspect on closer examination but they had stopped instinctively and by then the thieves had grabbed wallets and jewellery and were off. The chap managed to grab a door of the fleeing car but couldn't stop them so merely added some grazes and damaged clothing for good measure.