URGENT APPEAL: Boy missing in France

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mass media hysteria.

I'm suprised that the normal intelligent people here have fallen for it.

Who is to blame for the current situation? The hospital in Southampton? Hampshire police? The CPS? Spanish Guardia? Spanish Hospital?

I'll tell you who has created this situation. The parents!

If they had discussed what they intended doing and not lied to snatch their son this situation wouldn't be where it is now.

Selling a Spanish property to fund the proton beam treatment does not need the entire family, except the eldest who was probably left behind to keep the parents fully informed of any action being taken to find them. It's a quick 'phone call to a local estate agent to get it on the market. Simples.

And as many on here have already said what a mess it is.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Mass media hysteria.

I'm suprised that the normal intelligent people here have fallen for it.

Who is to blame for the current situation? The hospital in Southampton? Hampshire police? The CPS? Spanish Guardia? Spanish Hospital?

I'll tell you who has created this situation. The parents!

If they had discussed what they intended doing and not lied to snatch their son this situation wouldn't be where it is now.

Selling a Spanish property to fund the proton beam treatment does not need the entire family, except the eldest who was probably left behind to keep the parents fully informed of any action being taken to find them. It's a quick 'phone call to a local estate agent to get it on the market. Simples.

And as many on here have already said what a mess it is.

[/quote]

Benjamin, you are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I am not here to pick a fight with you.  I am just so overwhelmingly relieved that the family will very soon be reunited.

Mass media hysteria?  Well, what if it were?  Does it matter?  Charges are to be dropped and at last commonsense and justice has prevailed.

I don't care for being a "normal, intelligent person" (whatever) but I do care about being sensitive to the pain and distress of others and feeling empathy and concern for them plus doing whatever I can, in however limited a capacity, to show disapproval of bullies and support for the innocent.

Where does it say that the parents have "lied"?  Please point me to your source?

Have you seen the initial video released by the family and made, I understand, about an hour before the arrest of both parents.  The father explained in a very rational and collected way, what led to their taking their son away from the hospital.  The doctors wanted them to follow some medical protocol, refused to look at the alternative therapy he favoured and threatened the family with a court order that would prevent them visiting their son;

Under such circumstances, the parents felt they just had to remove their boy, take him to Praque (where they had already been in touch with consultants) and give him the chances that they didn't feel the UK hospital was going to allow him.

Then, there was the video released by the second eldest son.  Remember the "hysteria" (yes, used appropriately this time) when the news first broke?  We were given to understand that the batteries on the boy's feeding apparatus were going to fail and he was going to die blah, blah, blah.  Well, wouldn't you know, the parents had thought of all of that:  they had boxes of his special nutrition, a charger for the apparatus, syringes to rinse out the feeding tube, a very special wheelchair for him to be transported in comfort.

So, just who was hysterical?  As for Rachel Johnstone (whoever she is) who started this thread, where the blazes is she now?  If anyone started anything, it wasn't the parents!  So, please do NOT blame them.  Either follow the story from a definite timeline or stop making silly accusations with no foundations[:-))]

My opinion, for what it's worth (probably nothing at all to you) is that the family are to be greatly admired and supported.  Talk about having the courage of your convictions!

As for the "man" who has organised the on-line petition, taken it to Downing Street, given press interviews, he is only 16 years old but truly formidable in his willingness to take on a massive task which would have worried many far older people with more experience of life.

You could say that we have truly seen both sides of human nature in this one head-line grabbing story.  So much to reflect on, such disregard for principles on the one hand and yet such nobility of character of character on the other.  Love, yes, it's there too, right in the midst of it all.

I agree yet again with what Mint says.

I think it was unfortunate for the parents that this occurred just after the Rotherham report came out. IMO this has lead to the hospital, police etc overreacting so they were not tarred with the same brush.

I suspect that their actions were not motivated as much by concern for the child but  concern for how they would look when the story broke.

Edit:  The CPS have now dropped all charges against the parents. More info here

Strewth Sweets, if that's non-confrontational I hope I never get a real tongue lashing from you.

I have a problem with the whole of this episode. For example why take a very sick young boy on a six hour journey and then round it off by driving over 1.900 kms.? Why take the whole of the family? Why not drive to the Czech Republic?

Rh

It's difficult to keep up with who said what and when but I interpret what I hear on UK terrestial television and, as far as I can see, they only statements have come from the King family and until there is corroboration from "the authorities" I'm not making a call on that.

What the family have done, by their actions', is to make a huge media impact. They could not have wished for any more publicity than they have received. If this gets them the treatment that they feel their son deserves, then 100% good luck to them and I wish them well.

NickP

I always find it difficult when people on forums think they understand others who they've never met or had any dialogue with before the posting that you made. I now know what the P stands for.

Hey, Benjamin, no fears, I have no intention of using other than only kid gloves with you[:D]

Of course, we all have different "takes" on what we read.

As I have said before, I couldn't remain neutral with this case.  It moved me to my core!  Could be because, in a previous life, I have witnessed many instances of the arrogance and downright unreasonableness of doctors when their opinions are questioned.

I have also had some experience of how the "systems" regarding the police, the CPS and the law courts are like some sort of juggernaut without any brakes.

And, ultimately, as with hundreds of thousands of people, I couldn't bear to think that one little, very ill boy had been kept away from his family at a time when he needed them most.  As for what the parents and siblings were going through, I couldn't even giving them a passing thought without shuddering with horror.

Believe it or not, I can visualise how things panned out the way they did but that isn't to say that I have to acquiece with it.

I can fully understand why the parents would want to keep all the family together; you could tell they are close-knit.  After all, there could be little time left for them all to be with the child.

I can also understand that they went to Spain to raise money (from property they own there) and possibly to have their other children looked after by friends whilst they proceed with the ill child to Praque.  I don't know, I am speculating here.

[quote user="Benjamin"]

I have a problem with the whole of this episode. For example why take a very sick young boy on a six hour journey and then round it off by driving over 1.900 kms.? Why take the whole of the family? Why not drive to the Czech Republic?
What the family have done, by their actions', is to make a huge media impact. They could not have wished for any more publicity than they have received. If this gets them the treatment that they feel their son deserves, then 100% good luck to them and I wish them well.

[/quote]

I'm pleased to see that someone else shares my misgivings about this whole episode, Benjamin. I would agree with anyone who says that the CPS was unduly slow and heavy handed in this matter. The Spanish authorities have not covered themselves with glory either.

However, the fact remains that the King family's behaviour has contributed to this situation. Their actions were foolish. They had advice from appropriately qualified clinicians but, presumably, preferred information from the blogosphere. Knowing retrospectively that the Kings were equipped with suitable batteries and food supplies in no way invalidates the fears that the hospital had for the child's safety.

The populist media has conferred some honorary heroic status upon the Kings. Just think how would have been treated if the child had died.

[quote user="Clark Kent II"]

I'm pleased to see that someone else shares my misgivings about this whole episode, Benjamin. I would agree with anyone who says that the CPS was unduly slow and heavy handed in this matter. The Spanish authorities have not covered themselves with glory either.

However, the fact remains that the King family's behaviour has contributed to this situation. Their actions were foolish. They had advice from appropriately qualified clinicians but, presumably, preferred information from the blogosphere. Knowing retrospectively that the Kings were equipped with suitable batteries and food supplies in no way invalidates the fears that the hospital had for the child's safety.

The populist media has conferred some honorary heroic status upon the Kings. Just think how would have been treated if the child had died.

[/quote]

According to the hospital, the child will die anyway; 4 months max.

I don't blame the Kings.  Sometimes, the sheer will to try everything because the life of your child is at stake, becomes paramount.

As it was, the parents did all humanly possible to keep their child safe:  buying all the necessary equipment, learning how to use it, always on alert for problems that may arise.

Have you never ever made an educated guess or well-informed decision on anything?

Foolish?  No, I don't think so.  Desperate, maybe, and at their wits' end, definitely!

[quote user="Benjamin"]  

NickP

I always find it difficult when people on forums think they understand others who they've never met or had any dialogue with before the posting that you made. I now know what the P stands for.

[/quote]

Funny how when idiots lose the plot and realise they have made a very bad error of judgement; how they turn to insults, well listen pal if you would like to be rude or say things to my face I would respect your comment, but as you would rather be a keyboard warrior, keep going. It suits your approach to life on this forum, remember you wrote what you wrote, I only replied to what I and it seems others think was a cruel and callous comment.

One of the most disturbing aspects of this case  is that the CPS issued a Euro Arrest Warrant even though no charges had been brought against the Kings. This was on the grounds that this would speed up the search. This is surely a misuse of process as IMO a warrant should only be used  when  charges are to be brought.

last week when the search was ongoing it was clearly stated thatPhoton Beam treatment was only available on the NHS for Eye Tumours but now it seems that it is available for all cases where it is judged to be helpful. I read on the BBC page that the NHS is sending out a top Oncologist to decide whether it should be offered to the Kings.

I wonder if we will ever learn the  whol truth about this

It would seem that Portsmouth City Council have made the child a ward of court and forbidden the parents from seeing the child on pain of arrest. Guess who is about to be arrested.

If the local authority are involved then I reckon the kid's chances are lower than ever.

The parents have articulated exactly what we felt all those years ago about 'curing' the child but turning it into a cabbage. Radiotherapy is a catch all treatment too easily misused. The results can be frightening!

Wonder what Benjamin made of Nelson Mandela, bloody terrorist, bought that on himself too.

The Hospital seem to have forgotten who the parents were and decided they were above the parents rights, if  Mr King is to be believed the parents were threatened with the child being made a ward of court which is exactly why they panicked and left to seek treatment elsewhere so that was the motivational factor.  Even Eminent doctors have been proved wrong, they work on the balance of probability but by not actually having the equipment they receive only second hand advice no matter how many conferences they have attended.

There have even been stubborn people on forums who only want to hear from actual owners of this or that, not so different from the King's.