If the UK leaves the EU

Rabbie

There was an article in the Guardian about people thinking of taking out dual nationality in the event of a Brexit. This seemed to be both EU citizens living in the UK and UK citizens living in other EU countries.

I just wondered how people on this forum who might be affected by the referendum result are planning to do.

Link to the article is

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/17/dual-nationality-passports-eu-migrants-fear-brexit-european-union-referendum

Sorry the new forum software wont let me make it clickable

I know first hand that some are taking French citizenship. Re The Guardian piece, read some of the comments, they truly are outstanding and shows a complete ignorance of how the EU functions and what effects an exit could have on the UK. The cause of this I believe is the lack of education of people on behalf of the government. The Pro lobby should already be out there shouting very loudly and dispelling all the myths about the EU and the UK's part within it.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/18/are-you-seeking-a-second-passport-or-nationality-because-of-concerns-over-the-uks-eu-status

Rabbie, thought I'd have a go as I downloaded W10 last night but don't hold your breath!

The French have recently been making noises about people being allowed only one passport so French passport holders would have to stick to being French and Brits applying for French citizenship would have to give up UK status.

PS:  no, didn't work so I need to work out how to do a live link

I'm using Windows XP and Firefox

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/17/dual-nationality-passports-eu-migrants-fear-brexit-european-union-referendum[/url]

I don't seem to have a problem posting a live link, except it doesn't show up as a link [:(]

nm, I'm gonna have another go!  I've chosen a non-controversial topic[;-)]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3202341/Remembering-Britain-s-hardest-day-Spitfires-Hurricanes-skies-75-years-battle-scuppered-plans-Nazi-invasion.html

Edit:  doesn't show, doesn't work, I GIVE UP[I]

[quote user="mint"]nm, I'm gonna have another go!  I've chosen a non-controversial topic[;-)]

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3202341/Remembering-Britain-s-hardest-day-Spitfires-Hurricanes-skies-75-years-battle-scuppered-plans-Nazi-invasion.html[/url]

Edit:  doesn't show, doesn't work, I GIVE UP[I]

[/quote]

It is a clickable link in the email I received notifying your post.

Have you tried putting square brackets around "url" before the link and around "/url" after it?

I have done this in the quote of your last post. You can see this if you click on "Quote" below.

Thank you for your patience, nm.

OK, one final attempt:

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11808140/How-European-are-you-Take-this-quiz-to-find-out.html[/url]

Edit:  are you watching, nm?  As Cendrillon might say "RESULT!"

As mint pointed out there have been noises (especially from the LePen camp) about abolishing dual nationality and insisting that people who take French nationality abandon the previous one.

In this case which path would you take?

1) Take French nationality and give up British

2) Keep British nationality and risk the consequences?

I would point out that nationality alone does nothing to guarantee such things as health care, which have to be paid for in France by those who can: even retired people pay reduced social charges on their pensions.

And that was what I was thinking, that we would, as we are now, pay the social charges on the french pension if we move back.......... that is, if the UK leaves. As we are 'in' the french system already, I imagine that for us it would be an easy move.

[quote user="NormanH"]there have been noises (especially from the LePen camp) about abolishing dual nationality and insisting that people who take French nationality abandon the previous one.

In this case which path would you take?

1) Take French nationality and give up British

2) Keep British nationality and risk the consequences?

[/quote]

Declaring that one has given up British nationality to any Johnny foreigner has no effect whatsoever on one's right to hold it. Declarations of this kind have no weight under UK law.

It can be re-established at any time, with certain exceptions for those not actually born British, or possibly for joining a foreign force to fight against Britain. [:D]

If the English are so STOOOOPID as to leave the EU, under Jeremy Corbyn, to get rid of the nuclear detergent (sic) and turn the bases over to the Russians, then I shall go and live elsewhere, either Hull or Syria or Sicily, and drink heavily to get it over. And pay for my kids to get to Canada or New Zealand or even Tristan da Cuhna.

UKIP and White Van Man do not know what they are playing with. The Yanks do not want us; just look at Puerto Rico!!