Frenchy/ie - bad word?

Spikoul

Hello everyone,

I'm French and I'm planning to start a business selling French food abroad.

I found what I think is a cool name for the company using the word "Frenchy/Frenchie" but then I read somewhere that it was used as a derigatory term in English-speaking countries.

Since I will target people from these countries, I'd like to confirm if the term is adequate or not for this use.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

As long as it isn't French letter or French leave both of which are as Betty says out dated but still might cause hilarity in some circles.

Same I suppose for a 'bit of'french'

We say 'Frenchiefied' to mean 'rather over-decorated' or 'pretentious' also, so be a bit careful with that

[quote user="nectarine"]I'd say it's more an affectionate term, compare it to the term 'froggie' which is usually more derogatory. "Frenchie" isn't something I'd see as unpleasant at all. What company title do you plan to use?[/quote]

The name Frogs ia not a Brirish derogatory name for the French. It's a French one for the French. It comes from the daze when Paris was in the middle of a rather large swamp. The Parisians with the cash lived in the middle, dry, bit and the poorer folk in the swamp were called the grenouille. The British soldiers fighting here at the time heard the name and adopted it for all of the French.

That's the story anyway and knowing the reputation of the Parisians who wouldn't believe it [:-))]

There is someone, who, more explicitly than their name suggests, posts on another forum - which most people here know well, who continually uses the term "frenchie" in what I have always interpreted to be a derogatory manner.

There are many possible connotations, and I don't think it's at all a good name to use for your business.